View of a green and fairway at Cold Spring Country Club

Cold Spring Country Club is situated halfway between Springfield and Worcester. Opened in 2010 in an effort to bring world class golf to western Massachusetts, the club has since garnered a local following. The par-71 layout is unique in that it has six par 3s and five par 5s. There are also some par 4s in the 450-yard range. The 6,521-yard length indicated on the scorecard can be deceiving since it feels much longer when you're playing it. The golf course has plenty of variety, including dogleg lefts, doglegs rights, short holes, and long holes. Thanks to its mountaintop locale, Cold Spring C.C. offers stunning views that are as diverse as the holes. The vistas from the elevated tees and greens stretch to the Berkshires, Connecticut, and Vermont. From the golf course's highest tee box on the par-3 10th, you'll have a panoramic view of central Massachusetts.

Cold Spring Country Club

Year Built 2010

Credit Cards Accepted Yes
Dress code Proper golf attire is required at all times. Shorts must be no shorter than mid thigh. Jeans, jean shorts, gym shorts, sweat pants and tee shirts are not permitted. No denim.

Bistro, Restaurant

Clubhouse, Lounge, Locker Rooms

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in New England (2015 #8)

It's a great golf course always in great shape and staff is friendly and professional

Rainy Vacation Day

Guess I took vacation the wrong week. Decided to play some new courses and started the day rainy.

Nice course with two very different 9s. Front nine is very open with nothing that interesting.

Back 9 was very nice with holes cut out of trees and some lengthy par 4s.

Club house is perched on a hill so 1-9-10-18 are pretty hilly. Down hill leaving the club house and steep uphill returning.

Great value and very good greens.

Best hidden gem in western mass

Cold Spring Country Club has turned into my favorite round of golf in Western Mass. The course has character that very few courses have even for three times the amount of money. There's trees, elevation and even some water all for under what most courses cost! Greens and fairways are in above average condition. My only fear about leaving this review is i will have competition for tee times!

Great Fairways!

Wow! My wife and I had a great afternoon. She drives my cart so that we can be together. First time playing Cold Spring Country Club, what a blast. The golf course has beautiful views, great elevation, great difficult greens. It was the most challenging golf course I have played this year. I will definitely be back next year. Due to Covid-19 all golf courses have changed, what a bummer. I could of taken a picture of every hole, it was beautiful.
I recommend this course to low handicap golfers.

Great course with great views

Got an early tee time and avoided the crowds. Was able to finish in 3 hours.
Great views right from the beginning. Hole 1 is a downhill par 3 with great scenic view of the valley. From there, it is a challenging course, with some easier holes to help you out. You'll love hole 4... a short par 5 which gives you a great shot at a birdie, or even an eagle.
The course is in great condition. The greens are fast. Be ready.

perfect friday

day was perfect. Joined up with two other golfers and had an excellent day. Course was in very good condition and the layout is challenging.

Great course in great shape. Can't beat $47 for 18 with a cart! Greens are firm and fast, sand is dry and playable, fairways in great shape. This course will make you play every club in the bag.
Great upstairs patio overlooking the course with a great burger. Only downside is that they don't currently have a liquor license for some reason, so no post round beer with my burger

Fabulous experience

Despite a draught and a storm, this course was in wonderful condition. Great staff, great course! Really glad we played here and will be back

Cold Spring Golf Club

My wife and I reside on Long Island, but we are in central Mass. for the summer. Yesterday was our third visit to Cold Spring GC, all three coming during the Covid-19 drama.
We have enjoyed playing the course. As has been noted in nearly every review, the views are stunning, especially from the first and tenth tees. For a public play facility, the course condition was very good (based on my experience at other courses in the central/western Mass. area this summer, it has been a very good season for golf courses). I usually play at a private course on Long Island, so am am used to very fast greens (10-12 on the stimp meter). The greens here are slower, but in reasonably good shape. I am in my late 60's, play to a mid-teens handicap, and played from the Blue tees.
The layout is interesting. I'm not sure I've ever played a course with 6 par 3's and 5 par 5's. With the exception of the 3rd hole, the par 3's were quite good. The short 3rd (105 yards from the Blues) could be stretched out if there is room back into the woods.
The par 5's present a nice mix...three pretty easy ones (#'s 4, 7, and 16), one medium one (# 11), and one tough one (#2). With the exception of #9, the rest of the seven par fours are very good. If I'd played #9 from the Black tee I might have enjoyed it more, but from the Blues, it seems mundane. No matter where you drive it, your next shot is no more than a short pitch or chip to a not-very-interesting green (especially for such a short hole).
My only criticism of the course presentation would be that the tee boxes were on the shabby side.
All three times I played the course I rode a cart, and I would continue to do so...the distances from some of the greens to the next tee box are just too great. That having been said, all of those longer distances were very pleasant meanderings through the woods, which afforded us a welcome respite from the blazing sun we had each time we played. Many of the holes are bordered on both sides by woods, and there is not a lot of rough between the fairway and the trees, which, generally speaking, have not been thinned out. On some of those holes, you may find your ball but you will be unlikely to be able to play it...on others, there's no reason to even look. The undergrowth is just too dense.
The pro shop staff were welcoming and friendly...my only complaint stems from our second visit when we had an early afternoon tee time. We were not apprised of a women's shotgun outing which meant that we were supposed to be through #17 before 5 pm. We got stuck behind a slow foursome who inexplicably never let us play through and were surprised when we reached the 16th tee and were greeted by a phalanx of ladies getting ready to tee off.
Sadly, the restaurant and bar were not open the first two times we played, and only the restaurant was open yesterday, which we decided to pass on. From the looks of the place, the views must be glorious, but i cannot comment on the quality of the food or service.
All in all I would certainly recommend the course to a friend. I would imagine that on a nice, crisp late September/early October day, the views would take your breath away, thereby further enhancing what is already a pleasant golfing experience.

Nice course. 2 or 3 poorly designed holes. some very challenging holes. greens were fast.

A real gem

If you find yourself in western MA this is an excellent weekend play. We were the only walkers we saw on the course (hilly, some long green-to-tee trips), but the weather was perfect so we didn't mind. There was no water on the course nor any cart going around, which was a disappointment considering how hot it was. There were a few tee boxes that needed some more attention, but overall the conditions were perfect. You start on a par 3, which is weird, and there are some weird back-to-back hole combinations. The views are excellent

Very fun beautiful course

Really enjoyed my time at cold springs. There wasn’t any food and very limited beverage and snack selection. However it was beautiful and I will most definitely be playing there again

Belchertown, Massachusetts