Fyre Lake Golf Club boasts the only Nicklaus Design golf course in the Quad Cities. Water, grass, and sand were seamlessly combined to create a diverse and challenging course. The layout features winding fairways that snake their way through mature hardwoods and the lush emerald greens contrast beautifully with the lakefront setting. A variety of elevation changes come into play throughout the course. The rolling greens often have multiple tiers and they are usually also flanked by protective bunkers. In addition to the water, wind is another element that will challenge you on this layout. The final hole is a par 4 that plays from an elevated tee box. Fyre Lake Golf Club's hole bends sharply to the left, wrapping around a lake, and since it plays into the wind, getting the proper pin placement is quite a feat.

Year Built 2013
Architect Nicklaus (2012) Bob Lohmann (2012)

Dress code Appropriate golf attire

Bar, Snacks, Beverage Carts

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Illinois (2017 #16)

Hidden Gem

This has been on my list for several years. Finally squeezed it in. I will be back again. Had a blast playing this course. Either No 1 or 2 in the QC area. Worth the trip.

Pace Of Play - Outstanding. I picked an excellent time to play. No one on either side of me for 30 minutes. I had the course to myself the whole day

Course Conditions - Conditions were very good, but not 5 star.

Staff Friendliness - 5 stars, mostly for the Bev Cart - Top notch. An important part of the experience for me. Very friendly and attentive. Tip her well,

Value For The Money Deducting 1 star for charging me more than the quoted rate. My lone beef about playing here.

Course Layout - 5 star ! Not a boring hole out here. Almost every hole had some elevation change. Every green had subtle breaks all over. Great views of the lake.

Off-Course Amenities - I'm going to guess no one comes here to hang out. The club house is still a double wide trailer. I know this site has gone through some troubled times, I am just happy to play the course.

Overall Rating -
I took off 1 star, because they charged me more than the rate that I booked at. Partially my fault for not noticing it soon enough. I was in a bit of hurry.

First time at Frye Lake

Played this course with my two brothers after a couple of days playing Spirit Hollow. Saw scorecard where it was under 6000 yards from white tees but definitely did not play that short. Excellent routing and elevation changes. Could tell the Nicklaus design due to a lot of elevated tees. The greens are large and mounded but they weren't super quick (if they were fast, they would be extremely tricky)

They have the striped 150 markers in the middle of all the fairways which helped as there were some blind or uphill shots and it helped give a good aiming point.

All in all, it was definitely a fun course and look forward to playing it again. A comment on the bunkers. Spoke to staff and they said they were required to use a specific style of sand since they were a Nicklaus design. He said that they try to maintain it as best they can but when it gets wet or dries out it becomes difficult to play out of.

Iowa Advisor

Really Good, Potentially Great

My friend has been trying to get me to Fyre Lake for the past 2 years. Today we finally made the 100 minute trek, and it was definitely worth it. What I found was a beautifully routed golf course where no 2 holes were the same. With a little TLC, Fyre Lake could rival TPC Deere Run and Spirit Hollow for the best course in the SE Iowa/Illinois Quad Cities area.

The Good:
As mentioned above, the routing of Fyre Lake is wonderful. No 2 holes go the same direction and no 2 holes are the same. Even when holes look similar on the card, they play totally differently. Fyre Lake is fair off the tee and challenging around the greens.

The landscape Nicklaus design had to work with is terrific as well. Lots of elevation changes and several lake views.

The Average:
The condition of the tees, fairways and greens is just average. It's clear that the hot, humid and wet summer in the Midwest has taken it's toll. I'm sure the greens were not as fast as the maintenance staff would like. It also looks like they had a bad crab grass infestation this summer. The crab grass is dead now, but so is the bent grass with it.

The Not So Good:
The bunkers were awful. I can honestly say I've never seen bunkers like these. Beautiful to look at, but terrible to play from. They had the consistency of crushed limestone. The maintenance staff really needs to till up the bunkers and add sand for them to be playable.

I don't like to comment on the staff, but they weren't friendly or welcoming. It's a small thing but makes for a better experience.

Overall I will play Fyre Lake again and I gave it 4 stars because the layout trumps all for me. It's that good that I can overlook the condition and the grumpy staff.

There are a lot of deals to be has right now. We played for $29.50 with cart. Find a deal and go play Fyre Lake.

Best course in or near the Quad Cities

So I drove from the Chicago area to play here December 3rd. This is the best, most beautiful golf course in the Quad's, for the money. The course itself is rough around the edges conditioning wise. Bunkers need sand, greens in pretty good shape, fairways are okay, but not great. Not to harp on the greens, but this course came from Nicklaus when he was burying elephants in some of the greens. The clubhouse is a doublewide, and the parking lot is leftover asphalt grindings! But the layout, and the vista's here are priceless. You would never guess you were in Sherrard, IL. If you are in the area playing the many good golf courses you would make a mistake not finding this place. It took down a local bank and bankrupted another developer & the land around the course is owned by a bank in Texas. But all the drama aside this place is as good a layout as you can find.

In the top 3 courses I have played this year

I play twice a week and 2nd time playing this course, really enjoy it Diversity of holes, elevation changes make this a course you want to come back to. Scenery is outstanding also

Great layout. Difficult course.
This course has some dramatic elevation changes.
We played it on a very wet day so I can't really comment on its condition because it was so wet everywhere and not mowed.

Great jack Nicklous design. Greens are a bit choppy but the course is gem for the eye. Great vistas and elevation changes. Links style with lots of tall grass and bunkers. A distance finder is a good idea.

Great Course, have played it about 10 times.
Always challenging, but fair.
Will continue to play 3 or 4 times year

Very pleasant round

The course is in great shape. Was not crowded. Staff was very accomodating.

Favorite Quad Cities Golf Course. Great layout and stunningly beautiful setting. great value to boot

Very nice course but....

I have been wanting to play Fyre Lake for a few years but reviews of the course conditions had been very down. But in the last year reviews indicated that it was now under new ownership and conditions were much better. I do have mixed feeling about this course. It's a great layout, nice driving range, poor range balls, small putting green, pro shop and club house is a trailer but that's OK and the staff is good. First impression getting the cart is bad as it looked like it had not been cleaned out or washed this year! Course has beautiful views of the lake and challenging layout. Condition of the course is average due to unfilled divots in the fairways (worse I've seen at a course), unhealed pitch marks on the greens though that did not effect roll or speed which was excellent. The worse of the problem were all the bunkers, nice sand but every bunker had its bunker liner exposed. You had to move the ball around so you would not hit the liner on your shot. Would I go back? Probably, but I would hope that they repair all the bunkers before I do.

Greatly improved and beautiful!

I had played this course a few years ago and didn't care for it much. The improvements from the club house to the shape of the course were outstanding. The clean up of the roughs makes the errant shot playable, before it was very hard to find your ball, more less play it. The course is one of the most scenic you can play in this area, it's like playing in another state. I highly recommend that you get out and play Fyre Lake, it won't be years before I play Fyre again it will be very soon. Go try it out!!

Outstanding Fyre Lake Golf

Absolutely beautiful and challenging golf course, looking forward to the next rounds!!!

Challenging but fun course

If you are an average golfer, this course can be quite challenging. With that being said, the course design is second to none in the area. The greens can be very challenging, but as whole the course was in very good shape. If you can hit the ball straight from the tee box, you will have a shot at a good score.

Great Layout

Past reviews of Fyre Lake were pretty much spot on. The layout was very good, amazing elevation changes, good mix of holes. The condition while good, was not great. the greens were smooth just not fast..prob 9 or 9.5 on the stimp. you can tell the new ownership is trying to make improvements im just not sure enough revenue is being generated to do everything that needs to be done for this course to turn the corner. with all that being said..i would not discourage people from playing it..i think you can have a very enjoyable time

Friendly Staff And Challenging Greens

Great staff hired at course. Enjoyed my round and felt no pressure to move faster. Only things I could see them changing is larger signs directing where carts should go, and signs directing where next hole is. Very nice course and I will be back.

Beautiful

My husband and I both enjoyed the course. It was pretty alongside the lakes and provided some challenges. I would not recommend walking as it is long and hilly. We'd play it again!

HOT AND HUMID CONDITIONS

Course was great. It had just rained so it was a little wet. Staff was friendly. Nice course!!!

Milan, Illinois