Potomac Shores Golf Club

Silver (W) 72 5790 yards 75.2 143
Jade 72 4940 yards 65.2 126
Jade (W) 72 4940 yards 70.4 133
Scorecard for Potomac Shores Golf Club
Black M: 74.7/144 405 405 530 225 355 200 435 305 410 3270 575 420 455 230 515 135 605 410 405 3750 7020
Gold M: 71.6/137 W: 78.4/150 390 365 465 170 335 170 400 285 380 2960 535 375 425 185 485 120 545 390 335 3395 6355
Silver M: 68.9/132 W: 75.2/143 350 305 415 145 315 155 375 270 345 2675 500 350 405 155 435 100 485 365 320 3115 5790
Jade M: 65.2/126 W: 70.4/133 275 265 375 115 300 135 325 235 305 2330 390 290 335 115 405 80 455 275 265 2610 4940

Year Built 2014
Architect Jack Nicklaus (2014) Jacobson Golf Course Design (2014)

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Virginia (2016 #18)

Not Again

Third time playing this course. The first two times, I said I would never play there again. Now I am saying it for a third and final. All three, and one was during the week, were almost 5 1/2 hours!!!!!! I can deal with the free drop from bunkers because of redoing, the redoing of the fairways, the marshal driving the food cart because the employee didn’t show up, people wearing jeans and sweatpants, all good, it ain’t the 60s...... but over 5 hours and we were around the 8th tee time. All three, I was referred to the back of the scorecard where it says average time is 4 hours 35 min. In a time where golf courses are failing and they keep talking about pace of play, Troon should be ashamed of what they are doing to one of Jack’s designs. And here is the shame of it, the layout is great. It’s challenging and rewarding and fun to play. But after almost 3 hours for 9 holes, the course loses all character.

So, when you get that hall pass from your significant other and you want it to be a long one.....this is your place. Just be warned, it will be the longest of your life!

Not so Jack’s course

This course used to the one of the best, but now it is one of the worst. Not a single bunker was playable, greens were not maintained. We could not take cart on the course. I think management is using Jack Nicklaus name to charge more. Not playing here again.

Difficult Track

Look at the slope ratings; they don’t lie.

Unfortunately, the course was not in great shape, but it’s been a very difficult growing season. Due to over 40” of rain this summer, the course was quite wet after a rainstorm two days before we played. Also, all bunkers had either standing water or a mud film over the sand surface; a lot of erosion of sand was noted. Forgivable bc of the recent rain and excessive rain over the summer.

I noted that the two fairway bunkers at the bend in fairway 18 look like the superintendent is allowing grass to take over.

The greens were great! Only a couple of bare spots. True roll, good speed, lots of undulations.

We play this course once every other year.

Poor Shape

Sprawling layout that is not walkable.

Nicklaus Signature, so you know it is a strong layout but something is way off given the condition of the course.

The bunkers are washed out and staff explained they will not be fixing them until they "fix them" in the offseason.

Greens are not healthy at all and not what you would expect given the tier 1/tier 2 cost for this area.

Not one to review but shocked the actual condition of this course is not on this site

Fun Track

Course layout is great with interesting holes throughout. Clubhouse is great and everyone we meet was super friendly.

and its temporary but condition wasnt great. they just reopened fairways after replacing during summer and we were told they beginning a bunker refurbishment next week (very much needed and you will find sand during a round) and greens has some pace but clearly members didnt like repairing pitch marks.

Would recommend and we will be back but hope the condition of course would be better

Good experience, but painfully modern

The experience of golfing at Potomac Shores is excellent. Clubhouse is beautiful, staff is friendly and helpful, and the practice area is excellent. If these are the things you care about while golfing, you will not be disappointed.

The course itself is a mixed bag. There are certain holes that are interesting. Nicklaus uses angles and hazards to provide a strategically interesting test. I particularly liked the par 5 10th hole, which provides multiple routes to approach the hole location.

However, this is not a golf course. These are 18 individual holes on the same property, with nothing connecting them While this is common on modern courses, it leads to a painful experience, especially in terms of pace of play and overall enjoyment.

Conditions were pretty good, although the new bermuda fairways are still maturing, and were akin to playing from the second cut of rough.

An unwalkable course like this will never be my cup of tee, but the individual holes are good enough to justify the relatively high cost to play.

A great golfing experience

Before I talk about the course I would like to acknowledge the”front of the house”. The bag drop crew , and pro shop staff were wonderful. They thanked us for choosing Potomac Shores and made sure that we were comfortable with the amenities. Practice range was excellent and my wife and I teed off on time. In short, the course is spectacular! The condition of the course for early May was superb. We live in South Carolina and there are only a few courses along the Grand Strand that compare favorably to this course. During our round, we met one of the course pro’s who couldn’t have been friendlier . He knew about our home course because his parents live in Conway SC. . What a great ambassador for the golf course! If you are in the area, don’t miss the chance to play this course.

Virginia Advisor

Beautiful Course

Played Potomac Shores on back to back days in above average winds. For early spring the course is in good not great shape. I could not give the course an Excellent rating like so many others due to the condition of the sand traps and having more than a handful of greens that have some turf issues. Really enjoyed playing off Bent grass fairways. Disappointed to hear that they will be replacing the Bent with Bermuda this summer but totally understand why they are doing this. I really enjoyed the challenging elevation changes throughout the course. Three of the Par 3 holes are some of the more challenging holes on the course. The Par 5 holes are set up to get some strokes back if you give up a few on the Par 3's I mentioned. Truly a course that you can score low on if you pick the appropriate club off the tee. Now they know the sand trap issues they have as they mentioned it when I said something at the end of the round. There is sand so be thankful of that but some of the traps do not drain well and ALL the traps need the be filtered of the rocks present in them. Some of the rocks were fist sized. For the price that should not be the case. As for the turf issues on some of the greens. Clearly the mowers get too close on some of the undulation in the greens. Along with that many of the edges near the first cut were showing signs of stress. Just not something you expect to see for the price nor for a Nicklaus Signature course. They have brand new carts so no issues there. The practice facility is nice. Grass on the driving range with a good size chipping and putting area. The putting green next to the clubhouse is attached to the 18th green which was pretty cool to see. Clubhouse is beautiful with fully stocked pro shop, great locker rooms and the restaurant has some tasty food. The staff is phenomenal. Form the bag drop to check in to the maintenance staff back to the bag drop again everyone was extremely friendly, professional and very helpful.

Tough Greens, Great Layout

My spring game was not ready for this challenging track. Conditions were good weather was great, my putter just didn’t show up. Always a great test of all your shots from tee to green.

great course

last day for winter rates so $65 felt like a real bargain. weekend rates normally a bit steep, but this course goes on the medal stand for best public tracks in the dc area

Top 3 DMV Course

Love Potomac Shores. Have played it 6 times in all seasons and love the layout and condition. Last played Feb 2018 and greens/fairways were very reasonable for mid winter. I've played most the good DMV courses and this course is my favorite with Laurel Hill and Lansdowne. Challenging but fair

nobody minding the store

we went out on a wet sunday and got to the 12th hole where there was no marshal on the course as well as no drink cart. without the marshal, slow players backed up 4 holes and were not asked to move along. i will not go back

WOW. What a gem. Top 3 public course in NOVA/DC/MD

First time to Potomac Shores today and I was blown away.

Course: Conditions are gorgeous, even though it's peak winter time. It's incredibly challenging with rolling greens and tough pin positions so if you're a decent golfer, you'll have your work cut out for you.

Views: Gorgeous. It's Raspberry Falls/Blue Ridge Shadows level.

Service: A++ - great people.

I will be back despite living 50 mins north in DC.

Meticulous!

This course is in fantastic shape, from tee to green. Challenging layout but the sights and course conditions are second to none!

Best in class

Best public course in northern VA. Challenging and very much a thinkers course. If you play a fade like Jack, this fits your game. Greens are very hard. So much fun to play. Will definitely go back in the summer.

Good course, Superior service

As for the course itself, this is a classic Nicklaus course - lots of variety, requires some thinking and shotmaking, and it has undulating greens. The course is carved out of very hilly, wooded terrain near the Potomac River south of DC. I played it in mid-November on a day when it was cloudy and in the 50s, with enough wind that you had to factor it in. The bent grass greens were nice, but the fairways were also bent. They were beautiful, but you have to be on your game with irons because the ball will not sit up like it will on bermuda, so you have to clip it clean. I loved the course, but had but one complaint - my Bushnell GPS NeoWatch did not pick up the course, nor could the GolfNow GPS on my smartphone. I am hoping they will get the course in their systems, because I had a hard time with some yardages. There are a number of carries across ravines, and that can throw off your distance perception, so the watch would have been handy. Bring your Bushnell range finder, I guess.

Now, for the best part - I have never had as good service from the pro (I believe his name was Tim Taylor) as I had there. He asked if I had ever played there, and when I said no, he proceeded to give me a description of a number of the tricky holes. He also explained that the 9th doesn't bring you back to the clubhouse and apologized that the grill wasn't operating so I couldn't grab some food to take out with me. I had brought snacks but made sure there was water on the course. There wasn't, so he ran in and got a bottle of water for me. After my round, I was in the parking lot putting away my clubs, and he was out there helping someone else. He called across the lot to me by name, to see how I liked the course. Besides the already excellent service, the fact that he had committed my name to memory from 4 hours earlier was extremely impressive. I told him I would be back and will bring some buddies with me.

All you can handle!

This is the best layout in NoVa, by far. It has everything and you'll need a high level of execution on each shot. From blind tee shots, to narrow landing zones and slick greens, Potomac Shores has it all. I play a lot of golf and this course is at the top of my list. Staff is friendly and helpful too.

Condition-wise, i would say A-. Only a few bare spots in Fairways 8,9 and 14 which should grow in this Fall. Also need a few more stations to refill sand bottles. Greens are A++, super fast and true. Best in the area.

Its worth the drive down 95, i look forward to playing there each and every time

Quantico, Virginia