1.9

Type Resort/Public
Potomac Shores Golf Club

Year Built 2014
Architect Jack Nicklaus (2014) Jacobson Golf Course Design (2014)

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Virginia (2016 #18)

Course conditioning was awful

This is one of the worst Troon courses I’ve ever played condition wise. Fairways were good but tee boxes and greens were in horrible shape. Rough was very patchy with many bare spots.
It’s sad because this course is such a great layout. I think Jack Nicklaus would be sad to see his course in this shape !!!!

To pricey for the condition

Greens were in horrible condition, price needs to be adjusted according to the condition of the course. I would play again if the price is adjusted.

Bad Greens and tee boxes

Awful conditions for such a great course. They shouldn’t be charging anything more than cart fees to play. Or they should shut down the course until it’s in better shape.

Bad condition

First time out on Potomac Shores since 2018. It was one of the worst condition I've ever seen in this area. Need to spend some time fixing the greens. Other than 17th and 18th holes, rest of the greens have no grass.

What is going on here?

2nd time playing this course and I was shocked to see how bad the green conditioners are here. I know they recently re-did the fairways, and to their credit, the fairways are mint. However, anything that isn’t fairway is just shockingly bad. I’m hoping that maybe it’s a 2 part process and the greens are next. If not, then I have to seriously question what the management is doing here. There were 2 or 3 greens that were borderline unplayable, and it had nothing to do with the recent aeration. I expect some greens to be a little rough by this point in the summer, but not this bad. Save your money until it gets fixed. Even with the discount it’s not worth it.

Jack would be shamef

A Jack Nicklaus course sets expectations. If you only focus on the layout and the fairways, this is a 4- star experience. The horrible conditions of the greens with bare patches, fungus and general poor maintenance makes this a 2-star frustration. The tee boxes are in equally poor condition with little apparent attention. This course is a year or two from being playable. Too bad. Stay away until then...

Poor Condition

The course was overall in very poor condition, fairways and bunkers were good all else was really poor. Greens were aerated, slow and very spotty. Course was not manicured and look very dumpy. I think Jack Nickalous would be very disappointed if he were to visit .

I love this course, but...

I love this course, but the current conditions of the greens are the worst that I've seen. They recently aerated and it looks like it will take some time to get the greens back. A lot of bare spots, very soft, "fuzzy" and slow. I hope they recover quickly...

Green condition was the worst I've ever played

I know the aeration of greens when I booked the tee time. But it was not just the aeration. The length of the grass was long.. about a half inch long. 14 to 15 greens were damaged and you could see bare-dirt greens. It was so sad that the club totally ruined the great golf course.

Aerated greens

The greens are not playable due to aeration, mold, disease . It’s a shame that such a nice layout is in terrible condition. Won’t play here again this year.

Disappointing

Potomac Shores golf club used to be an amazing place to play. It has a beautiful setting and course layout. I have played this course multiple times even though it is very far away and pretty expensive. I had always thought it was worth it. I could not have been more disappointed yesterday while playing the course. The course was in her rough shape. Several holes seemed like we were hitting into a sand trap, not the green. Everything was over grown and trash cans were not even emptied. Every trash can was overflowing. On the course, there was not one ball washer so needed to use our towels and ice water to clean our golf balls.

I sure hope they can figure something out to get back being a nice course.

Amazing Course - Sad Conditions

This is my second time playing this course. I played about a year ago when their brand new fairways were only weeks old. Good news is: The fairways are beautiful and lush now. Bad news is: Almost every single green is dead...Like there is no grass and greens / collars look diseased.

We booked a cheaper weekend round understanding the greens were "punched and sanded". Fine. Turns out that had no real impact on the poor conditions of the greens. In fact the sand probably helped level them out (!). I feel bad for the folks who play there regularly. P Shores has such a beautiful layout but whether through mismanagement, bad execution or bad luck, they seemed to have literally destroyed the greens. Like there is barely any grass on the greens. It looks like a mixture of burnt areas, underwatered areas, mold and diseased patches. Honestly it was very sad to see on such a beautiful property. I can't in good faith go back anytime soon.

Virginia Advisor

Conditions Have Deteriorated But A Solid Course Besides

Playing Potomac Shores GC had been on my to-do list for years and finally an opportunity to make the drive from Richmond presented itself this week. While the conditions of the course weren’t what I hoped for, the other aspects of my first experience will ensure I make the trip back up here again soon.

I had heard so many positive things regarding this course and after reading reviews posted just a few weeks prior hailing the playing conditions, I felt confident the $49 twilight fee would be a no-brainer. I arrived at the course with high hopes but it soon became clear how quickly things can change.

The course has clearly been struggling with a bad batch of weather the past several weeks, but I’ll first focus on the areas that were in the best shape. The course spent a lot of time and money on renovating the bunkers and changing the fairways to Bermuda. These improvements were noticeable, the bunkers I found to be the best aspect of the course, very well done and aesthetically pleasing. I found myself in a few of them but didn’t find them overly penal.

The fairways had recently been punched but aside from that they generally were in good shape. There were signs of heavy traffic but I expect that with just about every NoVa public course. It seemed that the Bermuda grass was handling the hot, wet conditions far better than the bentgrass rough and greens.

Now for the bad: nearly every green and green surround/apron had a significant portion that appeared to somehow be simultaneously burnt and rotten with bare, blackened, and soggy patches that made chipping and putting unpredictable and overall was a bit of an eye-sore.

The rough was perhaps the bigger issue from a playing standpoint. Around the greens much of the rough was clumpy and uneven. There were also many spots of rough so bare and dry that they had put down landscape netting. For a course that typically charges $70-100, I do expect better turf conditions but, again, I know they can only do so much when hit with bouts of extreme weather.

There are some courses where conditions and design go hand-in-hand to frame your opinion of the course and this is certainly one of them. With the degraded conditions, I wasn’t able to truly appreciate the design of the course. There were several creatively constructed holes with visual illusions that try to play tricks with you. I actually found that I played better by trying to ignore these tricks and play each hole straightforward but some dumb luck kept me from making a mess of things on a couple holes.
My one complaint on the layout is not unique to this course: there a lot of driving between holes, and gives the perception that the course was almost an afterthought to the design of the Potomac Shores community.

But enough with the negativity, I can’t say enough nice things about the staff here. The cart attendants were delightful and friendly as was the gentleman in the pro shop who drove around as a marshal during my round to check on things (a rarity at 7pm on a weekday at most courses).

WORTH NOTING: After posting some comments about the course conditions on social media, a member of the staff contacted me to address my concerns and I am always grateful when the course reaches out to show they care. I am looking forward to returning here when conditions improve but for right now, my recommendation of this course comes with an asterisk to wait until conditions improve before paying the full rack rate if value is a priority for you.

Tee box was in excellent condition after the renovation the course was in great shape. Challenging course requires shot shaping. Overall great course for advance golfer.

A Great Layout

The layout of the course was demanding in club choices due to elevation changes. Blind shots required advance knowledge on the layout of the hold being played. The pictorial layout card was beneficial and you just needed to trust the yardages provided. Distances from green to tees was pleasant through the hills and dales travelled - definitely not a walking course!

Due to a deluge after hitting our last shot of the day off the #18 tee, my playing partner and I hurriedly gathered our gear to the care. Unbeknownst to me I forgot my cell phone in the cart compartment.

Travelling during the torrential rainstorm my playing partner received a text from my wife advising that Todd from the course called to advise of my found phone and that he would be available at least another hour. Using my partners phone I left a v-mail that I would retrieved the phone the next day.

I arrived at the course the following day and the phone was readily available to me. Mahalo Nui for the hospitality and demonstration of the meaning of Aloha!

Slow play. Not fun.

My Sunday morning round took just over 5 hours, and the ranger was no where to be found. We eventually called the pro shop, and the attendant, after venturing out onto the course, explained that there were a few slow groups ahead. That is, frankly, not good enough. We already knew that. The layout of this place already means the round is going to take a long time. It was also a crowded day. Those factors should mandate that the staff stay on top of pace of play and ask slow groups to speed up or skip a hole. Apparently, this is a common issue at Potomac Shores. The staff needs to do better or people will stop playing this course, especially at the premium prices typically charged.

Quantico, Virginia
Lorton, Virginia
Alexandria, Virginia
Fairfax Station, Virginia

Valid dates: Apr 03, 2020 - Oct 24, 2020
Sunriver Resort's Unlimited Stay & Play Golf Package includes unlimited play on Meadows, Woodlands or Caldera Links along with one round at the famed Crosswater Club per day during your stay. Better yet—your lodging is included! Two person, two night minimum stay required.