Potomac Shores Golf Club

Silver 72 5790 yards 68.9 132
Silver (W) 72 5790 yards 75.2 143
Jade 72 4940 yards 65.2 126
Jade (W) 72 4940 yards 70.4 133

Location is in the 'burbs worth the drive   Great for advanced golfers locals a weekend splurge   Challenges include undulating greens bunkers elevation changes   Great for drinks patio dining 19th hole scenic views

"Beautiful Course"

Bombtech6316's avatar
Virginia Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2018
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

Played Potomac Shores on back to back days in above average winds. For early spring the course is in good not great shape. I could not give the course an Excellent rating like so many others due to the condition of the sand traps and having more than a handful of greens that have some turf issues. Really enjoyed playing off Bent grass fairways. Disappointed to hear that they will be replacing the Bent with Bermuda this summer but totally understand why they are doing this. I really enjoyed the challenging elevation changes throughout the course. Three of the Par 3 holes are some of the more challenging holes on the course. The Par 5 holes are set up to get some strokes back if you give up a few on the Par 3's I mentioned. Truly a course that you can score low on if you pick the appropriate club off the tee. Now they know the sand trap issues they have as they mentioned it when I said something at the end of the round. There is sand so be thankful of that but some of the traps do not drain well and ALL the traps need the be filtered of the rocks present in them. Some of the rocks were fist sized. For the price that should not be the case. As for the turf issues on some of the greens. Clearly the mowers get too close on some of the undulation in the greens. Along with that many of the edges near the first cut were showing signs of stress. Just not something you expect to see for the price nor for a Nicklaus Signature course. They have brand new carts so no issues there. The practice facility is nice. Grass on the driving range with a good size chipping and putting area. The putting green next to the clubhouse is attached to the 18th green which was pretty cool to see. Clubhouse is beautiful with fully stocked pro shop, great locker rooms and the restaurant has some tasty food. The staff is phenomenal. Form the bag drop to check in to the maintenance staff back to the bag drop again everyone was extremely friendly, professional and very helpful.

"Tough Greens, Great Layout"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/31/2018

My spring game was not ready for this challenging track. Conditions were good weather was great, my putter just didn’t show up. Always a great test of all your shots from tee to green.

"great course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/31/2018

last day for winter rates so $65 felt like a real bargain. weekend rates normally a bit steep, but this course goes on the medal stand for best public tracks in the dc area

"Top 3 DMV Course"

nfdorka's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/28/2018
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Love Potomac Shores. Have played it 6 times in all seasons and love the layout and condition. Last played Feb 2018 and greens/fairways were very reasonable for mid winter. I've played most the good DMV courses and this course is my favorite with Laurel Hill and Lansdowne. Challenging but fair

Tom5622616's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/28/2018

"nobody minding the store"

SSeptoff's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/18/2018
Previously played Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

we went out on a wet sunday and got to the 12th hole where there was no marshal on the course as well as no drink cart. without the marshal, slow players backed up 4 holes and were not asked to move along. i will not go back

Tom5622616's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/14/2018

"WOW. What a gem. Top 3 public course in NOVA/DC/MD"

garysheffield1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/09/2018
First time playing Used cart Cold weather

First time to Potomac Shores today and I was blown away.

Course: Conditions are gorgeous, even though it's peak winter time. It's incredibly challenging with rolling greens and tough pin positions so if you're a decent golfer, you'll have your work cut out for you.

Views: Gorgeous. It's Raspberry Falls/Blue Ridge Shadows level.

Service: A++ - great people.

I will be back despite living 50 mins north in DC.

"Meticulous!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/19/2017

This course is in fantastic shape, from tee to green. Challenging layout but the sights and course conditions are second to none!

"Best in class"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/19/2017

Best public course in northern VA. Challenging and very much a thinkers course. If you play a fade like Jack, this fits your game. Greens are very hard. So much fun to play. Will definitely go back in the summer.

"Good course, Superior service"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/14/2017
First time playing Used cart Cold weather

As for the course itself, this is a classic Nicklaus course - lots of variety, requires some thinking and shotmaking, and it has undulating greens. The course is carved out of very hilly, wooded terrain near the Potomac River south of DC. I played it in mid-November on a day when it was cloudy and in the 50s, with enough wind that you had to factor it in. The bent grass greens were nice, but the fairways were also bent. They were beautiful, but you have to be on your game with irons because the ball will not sit up like it will on bermuda, so you have to clip it clean. I loved the course, but had but one complaint - my Bushnell GPS NeoWatch did not pick up the course, nor could the GolfNow GPS on my smartphone. I am hoping they will get the course in their systems, because I had a hard time with some yardages. There are a number of carries across ravines, and that can throw off your distance perception, so the watch would have been handy. Bring your Bushnell range finder, I guess.

Now, for the best part - I have never had as good service from the pro (I believe his name was Tim Taylor) as I had there. He asked if I had ever played there, and when I said no, he proceeded to give me a description of a number of the tricky holes. He also explained that the 9th doesn't bring you back to the clubhouse and apologized that the grill wasn't operating so I couldn't grab some food to take out with me. I had brought snacks but made sure there was water on the course. There wasn't, so he ran in and got a bottle of water for me. After my round, I was in the parking lot putting away my clubs, and he was out there helping someone else. He called across the lot to me by name, to see how I liked the course. Besides the already excellent service, the fact that he had committed my name to memory from 4 hours earlier was extremely impressive. I told him I would be back and will bring some buddies with me.

"All you can handle!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/03/2017

This is the best layout in NoVa, by far. It has everything and you'll need a high level of execution on each shot. From blind tee shots, to narrow landing zones and slick greens, Potomac Shores has it all. I play a lot of golf and this course is at the top of my list. Staff is friendly and helpful too.

Condition-wise, i would say A-. Only a few bare spots in Fairways 8,9 and 14 which should grow in this Fall. Also need a few more stations to refill sand bottles. Greens are A++, super fast and true. Best in the area.

Its worth the drive down 95, i look forward to playing there each and every time

"Great course"

rickyticky's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/02/2017

Great layout and challenging course. Several blind shots off the tee which made it interesting the first time playing this course. Had a great online price (more than 33% discount) that I booked couple hrs before I played and included practice facility and cart. Staff was very pleasant and helpful. I was playing as a single on weekday and play was about 3 1/2 hrs and that was after joining another single that was ahead of me.

Would play this course again since I now know the layout.

"Challenging Fun"

SwingSlayer's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/23/2017

Lots of fairway undulations and blind flags. Definitely don't expect to just walk up to the tee box and hit towards what you see. A short hole study is recommended but once you get it there's nothing else like it in Northern Virginia.

Staff definitely makes sure that you're taken care of.

Food is great, clubhouse in nice conditions, and the driving range is on real grass, not pads.

Will play again soon.

"Nice course in average condition"

bmccormick70's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/22/2017

My wife and I took a Friday afternoon off and decided to play this course for the first time. The cost of it during regular weekdays and weekends gives the impression that it is an amazing layout, and in great condition. I will say the course is clearly a Nicklaus designed layout with room for tee shots and is definitely a second shot course. My issue were the course conditions. There are 30 golf courses in the area in better condition than Potomac Shores, that you can play for $60 and under... on weekends. The greens are in average condition and run at average speed. There are large areas where the fairways are bare or in distress. The reason given was a problem with being watered...but honestly, it looked more like over-watering than under-watering. Regardless, the conditions don't match the cost. The rough clearly hasn't matured yet, and is very spotty. Nice layout, but I'd wait to play it again until the conditions improve and it matures.

Right now, it's a $60 per round track by comparison for the area.

"Good course, nice layout"

Roger9458896's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/04/2017

Always fun to play a Nicklaus design ... nice elevated tee shots ... difficult approach shots to many elevated greens. Was surprised that front nine yardage is approx 400 yards shorter than back nine. Very solid par 4's and good par 3's; par 5's a bit shorter than normal requiring strategy and placement and target golf. Greens were terrific and very true. Staff at the course were very professional and provided a country club atmosphere ... nice job!! Will definitely play again!!

cmagman's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/27/2017

"P Slows"

cmagman's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/27/2017

Long round, not a marshal to be seen all day, course was crewed up, and rock hard greens. At one point 3 there were groups on a par 3.

For the cost you would expect more attention to the golf course and pace of play. Would have been nice if the staff acknowledge this at least. The group behind us called it quits after 12, I would have headed in but wanted to play all 18 on such a beautiful day.

"Excellent Course"

Peter6281716's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/22/2017

We really enjoyed the challenge of the course. We judge a course by the fact that it makes you think. This one certainly does. The comment made by a golfer earlier that it would be good to have some knowledge of each hole so that you know where the trouble is and the distances from you is very valid. I don't know whether the Pro Shop sells yardage charts as first time golfers at this course certainly need that advice. The course was in good condition considering the recent rain and the Greenstaff on course and the lady on the drinks cart were extremely courteous. The lady at the bag drop and the gentleman in the Proshop were also extremely courteous and very helpful when we arrived. The indifference of the person in the restaurant when we went in for a bite to eat before playing golf and the abruptness of bag drop man when we left somewhat soured the day but we were there to play golf and our visit to the golf course itself was well worthwhile.

"Love this course"

Michael3143467's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/21/2017

My hat is off to Jack for the design of this course! Every hole presents a new challenge whether it is lie angle, bunkers and any other thing you can think of. Unlike other courses in the area, the challenges are perfectly placed to come into play for almost all skill types. This course forces you to be a better player regardless of the tee box. Love it!