View from #9 at Atlantic Dunes at Sea Pines

The Sea Pines Resort - Atlantic Dunes by Davis Love III

Year Built 2016
Architect Davis Love III (2016) Mark Love (2016)

Caddies Yes

Beautiful Course

Where to start. The staff was excellent upon arrival, from the bag drop, to the pro shop, to the range, to the starter and Marshall’s. Range was a bonus to warm up and their facilities are 2nd to none. Tee’s were in great shape. Fairways, traps and greens all in good shape. This course is more money than other public courses on the island, but worth the expense. By far, my favourite course on the island. Lots of water and traps, forcing you to position yourself in preparation for your approach shots. For a challenge play either the blue or black tee blocks, for those long hitters. You won’t be disappointed playing here. Great experience.

Outstanding Course in an Outstanding Location!

I played the original Ocean Course several times and loved it, so I was concerned when Sea Pines Resort completely renovated this course (via Davis Love III) and it emerged as Atlantic Dunes. But the new course is outstanding!
Fantastic layout, great diversity of holes, and superb playing conditions. Several holes allow for multiple playing options and strategies, which makes it fun. The four closing holes are tough - be sure to make the proper club selections when playing into the ocean wind on 15 and around the dogleg on 16. The best part may be the location - Sea Pines Resort and all it has to offer. The new Plantation Club clubhouse and restaurant (Fraser's) are excellent. Great staff - great food - great location. Plus, the new Sea Pines Beach Club is just across street with two great restaurant options (plus bar and lounge) overlooking the ocean. Everything is top notch.

Georgia Advisor

Awesome Course - Great Condition

I have played Atlantic Dunes many times and each time a have a great time and I love the course.
Atlantic Dunes is an awesome course. I played five other courses on this trip, and this was definitely one of the best. The course was in great condition.
The layout is great as well. There are some very challenging holes with plenty of water and bunkers. However, none of the holes are unfair or tricked up, simply difficult and challenging.
Overall, the price tag is much higher than most courses in Hilton Head. The price is the only drawback about the course. You can play similarly challenging and similarly conditioned courses for about 1/2 of 3/4 the price of Atlantic Dunes. However, Atlantic Dunes one of the nicest course around that the public can get on.

Beautiful Course!!

Conditions were excellent. Would give it 5 stars but bunkers lacked sand. Otherwise greens & fairways were immaculate. Have recommended to all my friends if/when they visit Hilton Head.

Great Overall

Very well maintained golf course (almost as nice as Harbour Town) and some very fun / challenging holes. Of course, the postcard-worthy 15th hole certainly adds to the experience.

Pace of play was pretty poor. We waited on every hole from the get-go and finished just over 5 hours.

Mostly Excellent

With one exception, my experience playing Atlantic Dunes was quite enjoyable. The condition was excellent. The employees were top notch. I was quite impressed with the layout. But in my opinion, the physical shape of many bunkers should be changed. Too many bunkers have much too steep of faces, especially fairway bunkers. The condition is inappropriate for this resort course. There is no need for it. I spoke with the starter, and the course ranger several times during the rather slow round. We waited on most shots. Each told me there is a slow play problem on the course. Also, the ranger told me that there are some players who only play a few times annually who struggle with this course. I imagine that these bunkers contribute to the slow play and struggles. My playing partners hit far too many bunker shots into the banks, and eventually picked up the ball not being able to get out. A modification here should speed up play and cause an even higher rating for this wonderful facility.

Best Course of our Trip!

Atlantic Dunes is an awesome course. We played six courses on our trip, and this was definitely the best one. It was in perfect shape despite how dry it has been in Hilton Head. Almost every other course we played had issues with their their fairways or greens, but Atlantic Dunes had neither.

The layout is great as well. There are some tough holes with plenty of water to find. If you are struggling with ball striking, you will find trouble. None of the holes are unfair or tricked up, simply difficult.

Overall, the price tag is higher than most courses in Hilton Head, but it is probably the nicest course around that the public can get on.

Perfect complement to Harbour Town

One of three courses open to the public at The Sea Pines Resort, Atlantic Dunes by Davis Love III is pretty dazzling. Unlike Harbour Town, the greens at Altantic Dunes are quite large, so the targets are inviting, but you still have to avoid water on much of the course. Fortunately, there are lots of options on many of the holes, including forward tees that avoid the forced carries. While much is made of the par-3 15th, one of just two true Atlantic Ocean holes on Hilton Head Island, the rest of the course is anything but boring. The front nine ends with an outstanding par 5 that features a terrific risk-reward opportunity. And the back nine ends with dazzling stretch of finishing holes, including the difficult 18th with water along the right side. Add well-thought out and very playable bunkers to the mix and outstanding conditions, and Atlantic Dunes comes in at five stars.

Good Course

Very much enjoyed playing the course. Have played this course for years and this is the nicest it’s ever been. Love did a great job with the redo. Definitely recommend it.

One of My Favorite Courses

Pristine conditions, every hole feels like a beautiful walk through nature. Awesome staff and facilities, get there early to experience it all. I played the old Ocean Course a few times before and loved it but now it's on another level after the rebuild, a professional feeling course in the best location. Hilton Head and Sea Pines is my favorite place to visit in the US, a perfect setting for a golf course like this.

Pace of play was great, my wife and I played just after 1:00 and played the front 9 in an hour and a half, but took more time on the back just to relax take it in. I feel like I could play here every day if I lived in the area and could afford it (retirement goals).

We got a rate of $110 because I bundled into a 2 round package with Harbour Town. It would be tough to pay the $185 morning rate or $155 afternoon rate so I hope they can keep the course more affordable for the next time I visit. Thanks for the great experience!

spectacular

just an amazing course - all of it, from design to conditions. greens, rough, sand traps, tee box's - just immaculate. Can't wait to come back. Very challenging. But no complaints - it was fair, i just stink!

The course was in the best shape of any other that I played all week on the island. Could not have been any better. Thanks

Arizona Advisor

Great Sea Pines course

First time playing this course. Course in excellent shape from tee to green. Greens were medium fast very smooth and had lots of slope and levels. Got stuck behind a slow foursome on the front nine but they quit after nine so the back nine went very quickly. Best holes on the course are the last 4. Would recommend playing at least once but I would look for a deal since it can get pricy in season.

Classic coastal layout

DL3 pays homage to Pete Dye with the hard edge bulkhead around ponds. Greens are massive.
Finishing holes are visually stunning.
Challenging but plenty of room to place your shots.

Amendment to review

I would like to amend my earlier review from 10-31-17. We brought our concerns to the director of golf (Mr. Downs), and he listened fairly and responded appropriately. While I recommend calling before playing over the next few weeks, I have confidence that if you speak with Mr Downs, you will be treated fairly and receive straight answers. And I repeat - the layout is beautiful.

First time playing Atlantic Dunes at Sea Pines Resort

A fantastic golf experience! Atlantic Dunes at Sea Pines Resort in Hilton Head, SC was a first rate experience from the range to the course to the 19th hole meal and beers at the clubhouse. It rained the entire day before our round at Atlantic Dunes, but the course played like it had been dry the day before. This course is in excellent shape right now and was very challenging, but fun for a beginner golfer like me. My father in law and I played as a twosome and the pace of play was excellent throughout our entire round. The course had just been through some maintenance but the greens were still in very good condition. Lots of sand on this course and I managed to find most of it, but still had a great time. Great practice facilities and a wonderful clubhouse made for an excellent overall experience. I will definitely play Atlantic Dunes again the next time I'm at Sea Pines.

Request A Vacation Quote From The Sea Pines Resort
Please provide your information below and a staff member at The Sea Pines Resort will be in contact to help you start planning your travel.

Valid dates: May 10, 2020 - Jun 18, 2020
Every spring getaway should include the perfect mixture of lakeside recreation and 4-Star relaxation! The Tahoe Tap-in Stay & Play package offers a luxurious stay at Edgewood Tahoe Resort plus your choice of two rounds of golf with a cart at Lake Tahoe's only public lakefront golf course, two 50-minute treatments at the serene Spa Edgewood, or one of each for each night per reservation.