Sundale Country Club

Carts: Yes - $15
Clubs: No

Practice bunker: Yes

Dress code: Men: collared shirts, Shorts must be mid-thigh or longer, No Jeans; Women: No tank tops or halter tops, Sleeveless blouses must have collars, Collarless tops must have sleeves, No Jeans
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Location is convenient to the city   Great for locals walkers

"Golfnut"

George9820076's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/04/2016

The fairways and tee boxes were clean and cut, but the greens were spotty.

"Odd experience"

Pauly7914474's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/10/2015

Grabbed a cheap GN time at this former private club that is now open for outside play...The good - nice proshop, grass range, great chipping areas, really interesting back nine layout, greens and tee boxes green and in nice shape - the fair - fairways are brown with bare spots...the bad - entire place has the feel of a 1980 club with zombies walking around...guy working the grill looks like a Duck Dynasty guy, complete with bandana on this head and size M motorcycyle T-shirt on a XL body...hot dog was disgusting, bud light draft in red solo cup was foamy...this place may have been nice once, but it is very odd...front nine surrounded by houses that appear to be in a ghetto - unkempt yards, blow up pools, pit bulls and confederate flags...back nine houses much nicer...

Quality of food & beverage: Poor

"Golf 10-8-15"

Richard1886767's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/08/2015

We booked a 2pm tee time on golf now, I was called by the golf course and was informed that the high schools were having a compatition there, he wanted to know if we could make it earlier and we can start off back 9. We accepted and got there at 1230 and played back 9 in a timely manner. When we got to number 3 on front 9 we caught up to high school comp and we waited at least 30 minutes on the rest of the holes until we got to 7 which it was about 45 minutes. We quit our round at 7 because it was taking so long.

"Enjoyable"

Shaun8112174's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/14/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

I've caddied for a friend here numerous times during tourneys, but I finally got to play it and I enjoyed it. The greens are small and remind me of my home course and they were soft and rolled fairly true. I'd play here again next time I'm in bakersfield for sure, especially if I'm able to find another golfnow deal.

"Great for the value"

randynainggolan's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/19/2015

Would recommend for the begginer, average golfer. Not a very challenging course. Not intimidating for the begginer golfer. Fairways are very open. Greens are slow. Would prefer it faster. The buggies are nice. Clean facility, practice area. People seem nice.

"Championship cours"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/15/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Always a challenging course. i would like to see the greens a little faster.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"sundale"

Ryan4306805's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/24/2015

Course is in decent shape. Greens are slow. Grass is dying. If you aren't in the fairway you will most likely be hitting pit of dead grass and or dirt.

"Greens are always in good shape."

jesmith7's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/07/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

A good course that will challenge your game and does not take 5 hours to play a round of golf. A very good pace of play...

"no easy par 3"

akkopper's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/02/2015

very good for price very nice greens, very helpful for first time playing at this course

"Frost delay chaos"

CenCalHack's avatar
San Francisco Advisor

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/26/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

We arrived early to get in a long warm up in an attempt to prepare for the cold. Cold was an understatement, as we were advised that times were running more than an hour late due to a two hour frost delay. There were multiple dozens of golfers milling about waiting. The tension and impatience of those waiting was palpable. Frost delays are frequent in the valley and the starter was working hard to make everyone happy. We eventually spied a twosome making the turn and with a look of relief that he was getting some help, the starter gratefully agreed to our request to play the back first.

Overall - 3, based upon our visit, I would rate the experience average overall. The design is basic 50s/60s CC style routed through neighborhoods.

Pace - 3, just under 4.5hrs total, playing the back first was a stroke of luck as groups that started the front 45 min ahead of when we started the back were barely making the turn.

Course conditions - 2, I am assuming (hoping) the recent storms led to much of the poor conditions. Greens above average. Tees shaggy. Bunkers inconsistent. Fairways anything between winter dormant and recent rain loose your ball patches of growth. Off fairways (I won't call it rough as it was poorly defined) was completely unkempt and was between dirt and deep areas of grass/weed depending on location.

Staff - 5, as mentioned, the starter did a great job given the situation and the grill staff was also friendly and helpful.

Value - 3, golfnow deal for us made the drive worthwhile, off the rack average for the return.

Food - 3, hot, tasty and well priced.

Facilities 3, the clubhouse was nice and had large areas of seating and large decks. The range was torn up and the practice areas were basic.

There was a member walking about repeatedly, loudly, intentionally bloviating to one and all, "these people don't belong, they should leave and let the members play". It is not our fault that there was a frost delay and the course was backed up. Neither is it our fault that your CC is actually semi-private and needs the outside income to survive. Poor form indeed.

All of the other members we talked to were friendly and we had a great time with them. Thank you for treating us as your guests and because of you I happily recommend this course.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Kearney Review"

uIBML3645IB's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/20/2014

Course was in great shape, Dave Bolar always a professional and made our group feel welcome

"Most Bang for My Bucks"

ronholt's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/04/2014

I played Sundale for about the fifth or sixth time this year and found the course to be in better condition than any other public course in the area. As usual, the greens were in excellent shape and the fairways were green. I plan to play there more often. There were few on the course and my friend and I completed our round in three hours.

"Challenging trees are huge"

Bobby8038435's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/16/2014
Previously played Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

Very good challenging course. Could use more water in areas. greens were good. The bunkers could use more sand. The bar service is great at good value. Food is ok, snack bar quality.

"Sundale"

Mark9431722's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/14/2014

The course is in the middle of the city which is easy to get to easy to play.

Quality of food & beverage: Fair

"Good old school course."

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/26/2014
First time playing Used cart Good weather Verified Purchaser

This was my first time playing Sundale Country Club. The staff were super friendly and helpful. Definitely has an old school feel too it. The course is pretty flat. Long par 3's and 5's. I did enjoy the layout. I wish it was kept up just a little better. Could be a beautiful course to play. It wasn't in terrible shape but could have been better. I would definitly recommend it to others to play.

"Bako Golf Deva"

spotter0118's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/16/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Disappointed that this 'Country Club' was in such poor condition. The course is long but few hazards.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Boring!"

Janet1026420's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/15/2014

This course is flat and quite walkable, which is one of the few positives. Every green is the same shape, a small circle. Every hole was laid out pretty much the same as the previous one. All of the fairway grass was dormant (or dead) and the undefined fairways ran all the way over to the neighboring backyards. The only other plus was the nice staff and clubhouse, but that shouldn't be a surprise since it is called a "country club". We probably won't play here again unless the hot time is $20 or less and cannot find anything else. It is just too ho-hum!

"Great Course, Great Location"

crjolliff's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/08/2014

I've played this course several times before (my father-in-law is a member), but this was the best round I've ever had there (3 under my HC).

I normally play the public/county courses around town, and I'm used to playing courses in those conditions (poor to fair most of the time). Compared to those courses, Sundale had excellent greens and nice enough fairways for winter conditions (note: I'm used to hitting off dirt this time of year). There are many tight fairways that make for a challenging second shot after an erroneous drive.

Perhaps the best part is the location. Most of the courses I play are about a 30 minute drive from the center of town, but Sundale is only about 5.

In all, I really like this course. Enough that if they offered short-term memberships, I would probably join.