Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander

Year Built 2017
Architect Arnold Palmer (2017)

Golf School Academy Yes - "Lakewood National Golf School"

Available Activities

Swimming

Available Sports

Fitness

• Golf Advisor: Golfers' Choice (2019 #43)
  • Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Florida (2019 #3)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Course Conditions in the U.S. (2019 #22)

Play at your own risk

The note above writing reviews says to please be mindful of their efforts as you write reviews during the coronavirus pandemic. They get 1 star.

Arriving at the first time this morning, the Starter wanted to move my bag to another single player's cart. Being denied the option to walk instead of riding with a player I do not know, he called the bag drop to bring a cart with a divider. Given the proximity and length of time sitting next to a person I do not know and  the makeshift divider made of a plastic film hung with bungee cords, I still did not feel safe sharing a cart so I returned to the proshop.

At the proshop I found out that walking is not permitted and was also denied another request to pay a rider fee to take my own cart. During this pandemic and no other options offered, I asked for a refund.

Commented on 12/01/2020

Hello, Mashpotato. Thank you for taking the time to review the course. We are sorry to hear your experience did not meet your expectations; however, the way you have provided your feedback does not offer us any room to grow or change. Making comments that cut down the course are not helpful to us or any golfers reading your review. We encourage you to update your review to fit a more constructive form so we can use your experience to make changes. Thanks for playing Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course.

Course needs to improve their protocols in light of the pandemic

I realize that the minimum standards dictated by the state, county and municipality are all that the course is legally required to follow but I would expect that they would use common sense and have more flexibility for those customers that want/need to be more careful.

The course forces strangers to ride in carts (no walking permitted) and therefore to sit in close proximity with other people for extended periods of time. They do have the option of having a "divider" between the two riders but the divider hardly provides any actual separation-- especially over the course of 4+ hours.

I would hope that the course is able to review their policies and update them to allow for the protection of their customers.

Commented on 11/30/2020

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating, u314160137268! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course!

Commented on 11/23/2020

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating, Brian2865047! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course!

Florida’s Awesome Golf

A sheer delight to enjoy this beautiful golf layout with challenging golf shots to keep one’s mind engaged!!

Commented on 11/19/2020

Thank you for your kind words! We hope to see you again at the course very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course.

Commented on 11/17/2020

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating, ToughLuckGolf! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course!

Commented on 11/06/2020

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating, jwyse! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course!

Commented on 11/05/2020

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating, u314160937365! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course!

Commented on 11/04/2020

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating, u314160569875! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course!

The view

Make sure you have a guide your first time or study the GPS map like a hawk. There are hidden traps all ove4 as well as hidden fairways. Flat lies are rare so pay attention to your feet . Greens are enormous, fast, but fair.

Commented on 11/02/2020

Your feedback is important to us, jyntema311. Thank you for sharing your 5-star experience. We look forward to seeing you again at the course soon! Thanks for choosing Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course.

NEED A RANGER

Waited every shot beginning with the 3rd hole.
Group in front of us had at least 3 open holes in front
of them.

Commented on 11/02/2020

We apologize for the pace of play issue you experienced. We always try to keep a great pace when having our golfers on the course. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback as we will use your review to better the experience going forward. We hope you give us another try in the near future!

Great Golf Course

Really enjoyed playing The Commander Course at Lakewood National. Facilities are amazing, Course condition was excellent! The only thing that I did not care for was that a few of the Greens have Crazy undulation. Only thing missing on a few Greens was a Clown’s Mouth!

Commented on 10/27/2020

Your feedback is important to us. Thank you for sharing your 5-star experience. We look forward to seeing you again at the course soon! Thanks for choosing Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course.

Great course with a great membership

Played with two members who were really nice, gave advice when I needed it, and really made the day enjoyable. The starter on the course was also very pleasant and helpful. Course was in good condition with only minor signs of recent maintenance. I would recommend and will play it again.

Commented on 10/27/2020

Christophe5562902, thank you for your kind words! We hope to see you again at the course very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course.

Commander Course

Course is wide open with large greens. Although some slots are blind to landing area they don’t distract from the overall course appeal and enjoyment.

Commented on 10/26/2020

prscheurich, thank you for your kind words! We hope to see you again at the course very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course.

Commented on 10/23/2020

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating, u000003243245! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course!

My favorite course in Sarasota area

Very good layout and course conditions. Fairways are wide and easy to hit. The greens are quick with lots of undulation. Overall it’s a fun course to play.

Commented on 10/23/2020

Hello, coop2009. We appreciate you leaving a review and rating us 5 stars. We're delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the pristine course conditions. We work hard to provide an exceptional experience, and it's very satisfying to hear from golfers like you who appreciate our efforts. We will inform the entire team so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course!

Excellent Course

Course was in good conditions with the exception of the greens. The greens have recently been top dressed and aerated and therefore were slower (though not terribly slow, with the exception of a few holes) and at times inconsistent/not running true. I shot 71 (par 72) on a windy day, while good, could have been considerably better had some of the greens run more consistent/better. I would prefer notice of this at time of booking, I don't know if this is the fault of the course or golfnow. In perfect condition the course is likely worth five stars, currently I would give it 4 stars with the state of the greens. I hope to have the opportunity to play it again in the future, I'm sure at peak conditions the course plays even better.

Also as a side note, I appreciate that the starter (concierge-i think that what they were calling him) was able to get us out about 25-30 min early of our scheduled tee time; I knew based on what I had seen for the weather that we would be racing the storm to finish, and I appreciate that he could help.

Practice facilities were well kept.

Commented on 10/22/2020

Hi u000001704687. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course.

Birthday golf at it's finest!

Fabulous course. We hit the road and traveled North from Naples to play two rounds of golf for my birthday. We decided to overnight in Bradenton and play this Lakewood National course plus the new Esplanade course at Azario - Lakewood Ranch. What a fantastic weekend! Two primo courses + perfect weather and great October pricing. I'd play this course again in a heartbeat.

Commented on 10/21/2020

Jane3003759, thank you for your kind words! We hope to see you again at the course very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course.

Commented on 10/20/2020

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course!

Best in the area

First time on this course and found out how stupid I was not to have already played it before now. Course was healing from mantinence and still better than 99% of the courses around the area. Layout, tee boxes, fairways, greens, etc were exceptional! I will be back more often. Thanks for a great day Lakewood National!

Commented on 10/19/2020

bmelton1972, thank you for your kind words! We hope to see you again at the course very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course.

Private/Resort