Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander

Year Built 2017
Architect Arnold Palmer (2017)

Golf School Academy Yes - "Lakewood National Golf School"

Available Activities

Swimming

Available Sports

Fitness

• Golf Advisor: Golfers' Choice (2019 #43)
  • Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Florida (2019 #3)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Course Conditions in the U.S. (2019 #22)

5 Star

Greens have healed well after being punched a few weeks ago. Course is close to perfect, as usual.

Commented on 09/10/2020

Hello, kurtwolbert. We appreciate you leaving a review and rating us 5 stars. We're delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the pristine course conditions. We work hard to provide an exceptional experience, and it's very satisfying to hear from golfers like you who appreciate our efforts. We will inform the entire team so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course!

Commando

The course was in good condition. The greens were aerated a few weeks ago and have not fully repaired yet. I was disappointed with the speed of the greens a bit slower than I anticipated and were a bit burned out

Commented on 09/08/2020

Hi u314159854644. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course.

I'll be back!!!

Great day of golf!!!! Course is tough but fair. Better keep your tee shots playable....

Beverage cart girl is a 10....!!!

I'll be back...!!

Commented on 09/08/2020

hosoh, thank you for your kind words! We hope to see you again at the course very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course.

Lots of positives...

Booked a somewhat last minute tee time by myself on a Tuesday at noon since I was traveling in the area. Staff is very friendly and helpful, check-in was a breeze. Had about 45 minutes to warm-up so utilized the exceptional practice facility. Range is perfect setup, large tee, quality turf, and hitting slightly uphill gives a great visual to the target greens. Nice short game area and two practice putting greens, one by either course's first tee. Booked the Commander course, and unfortunately was not notified by GolfNow that greens had been aerified.... probably within 2 weeks by the looks of them. Not a huge deal, but stiff would have been nice to know. Starter was very nice in explaining the course and conditions, and did warn me that I would be behind 3 threesomes. I said fine and teed off on time, playing the red tees (one up from the tips, since it was my first time playing the course). First 5 holes are spectacular visually, with large, flowing fairways, sweeping bunkers and just great framing done by Mr. Palmer. 6-9 were good holes as well, with some of the largest greens I've ever seen on a golf course (specifically #8). Conditions were very good tee to green, but the greens were bumpy and fairly slow. The front 9 took 2 hours and 20 minutes to play because of the groups ahead, which is ridiculous with everyone in single carts. Decided to check with the starter to see if Piper course was more open, and he allowed me to go to front 9 there for smooth sailing. Not really impressed with the layout of newly-opened Piper course. Fairly generic and several hidden hazards. Greens were firm and fast, but seemed like a downgrade compared to the Commander. Played the front in just over an hour and called it day. All in all, a fun, fairly challenging course to play, will have to return to experience the back 9 of the Commander. Thank you to the staff for their help.

Commented on 09/03/2020

Thank you for taking the time to review us brocklambert. Your feedback is valuable, and we look forward to delivering you excellent service again soon. Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course thanks you!

Love this Challenging Course

I love this challenging course. Although it rained most of the day, the course drains well.

The only knock against the course on this occasion is that neither Golf Now nor the golf course staff indicated that the greens had just been punched.

Commented on 09/02/2020

Hi Christophe7628142. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course.

Best course within an hour of Clearwater

This is - by far - the best course I’ve played in West Florida. The layout is amazing. You’re rewarded for good fairway hits, the tee boxes are immaculate, and the green were in great shape! The overall layout is designed very well. I highly recommend this golf course.

Commented on 08/26/2020

denmarkfrancisco, thank you for your kind words! We hope to see you again at the course very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course.

Great day!

Best public course in the Sarasota area, and that is say alot!

Commented on 08/18/2020

uRMKB6881RM, thank you for your kind words! We hope to see you again at the course very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course.

Commented on 08/10/2020

Hi, tonypen. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time at Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course. We look forward to seeing you at the course soon for another 5-star experience!

Commented on 08/06/2020

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating, grorasen! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course!

Commented on 08/06/2020

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating, u7232580! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course!

Amazing new course

This was my first time playing and definitely is now one of my top 3 favorite Public in Florida. Great design, awesome greens, a true players course

Commented on 08/11/2020

evan430, thank you for your kind words! We hope to see you again at the course very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course.

Get rangers

Literally reviewing this on the 14th tee box instead of already being done and driving home. 4 groups stacked on 10.... and that was after the foursome in front of us quit on 7 (they had enough).
Great layout.

Commented on 08/05/2020

Hi Michael9804634. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course.

Commented on 08/03/2020

Thank you for visiting us at Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Commented on 08/03/2020

Commented on 07/27/2020

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating, kurtwolbert! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course!

Commented on 07/27/2020

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating, u715264390! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course!

Commented on 07/21/2020

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time at Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course. We look forward to seeing you on the course soon for another 5-star experience!

Great facility!!

Used my final free round from golf now since they switched from that, but well worth it. Played with my brother. Staff was very accommodating considering we book opposite courses on accident. They let us play no problem and pick our course. We chose the piper which is the newest course. The layout was beautiful with holes that everyone can play from as they have 7 tee locations ranging from like 4500 Lady closer-7300 yds tour tees.
Greens were fast and true, undulated and a real joy and challenge to read and play!
Fairways and tee boxes were almost perfect. Wish people would sand their par 3 tee box divots but I’m nitpicking. Every shot was a strategic fun challenge. We played blacks which was the third tee in and was still 6500 yds.
GPS carts. Coolers on side of cart come prepacked with ice.
Practice range was great with free range balls.
Huge undulated practice green and chipping green with bunker practice.
One of the best of the fifty courses I have played in last year+.
If I had any gripes it was the amount of mowers out there that were in our shot line on first couple holes. That and the bev cart prices were a bit steep. Will be a gorgeous track line once homes are built as there are maybe 5-10% of course lined with houses.

Commented on 07/20/2020

Tjfitzsimons, thank you for your kind words! We hope to see you again at the course very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Lakewood National Golf Club - Commander Course.

Commented on 07/14/2020