Bayou Oaks at City Park - South Course

Year Built 2017
Fairways Celebration Bermuda
Greens TifEagle
Architect Rees Jones (2017) Greg Muirhead (2017)

Dress code Collared shirts are not required. Denim and T-Shirts are allowed. No tank tops. No cut-offs.

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Louisiana (2017 #8)

Weather Warning

Weather was great most of the day, some thunder storms bubbled up quickly with a few nearby lightning strikes. No warning horns to bring golfer in. Skies opened up shortly after, still no horns. No issues thankfully, just odd about no horn.

Call before you go

I’m extremely unhappy with this course. I booked a time and brought a friend and we were both excited because we’re both locals and we haven’t played this course in a long time.
But after I book my time and my buddy pays they finally mention that they only have 9 holes available.
Seriously?! You really couldn’t mention this before hand at all? I wouldn’t of come. I would of waited until they open the whole course. But no they wait until you pay. Once they have your money it’s like they don’t care.
I will never go back and only recommend to people I hate so they can lose money too.

Over priced but wide open

This course is not worth 95$ the greens was sanded, it was cart path only the day I played . Should be 50$ at the most. Course was wide open almost impossible to lose a ball.

Golfing in City Park

Checking into pro-shop was easy. We were given a code for a small bucket of balls on the driving range across the street. You will hit off of mats and may have a hard time finding the right tee for your woods. This is a fun little track that we enjoyed playing. Greens were recently punched, but didn't really show until we got to the front 9, we started on the back.

Great local course beautifully maintained.

Despite the busy Saturday, it was a great 18 holes. Golf Marshal's are excellent and the greens were in good to excellent condition. The carts were readily available and the nice young men greeted us with a helpful hand. The clubhouse is nice but the snacks were limited. The concession cart had very little in selection of beverages other than beer and mixer drinks.
Nice day overall on the course.

Decent course

The only course I know where people are always working while golfers are playing. You’d figure by now they’d have the course the way they wanted it and not always having mowers etc. going on while playing. The price is a little steep for this course as well. I know better courses that are cheaper!

City Park South

Solid track. Recommend it. Nothing fancy, but actually one of the better courses in New Orleans (a city lacking good golf courses). Large fairways and greens are forgiving. Greens and bunkers are usually in solid shape. Hazards are rare, and typically don’t come into play. A few nice water features on the front nine. No houses or neighborhood on/around course, which is a plus. Avoid for a few days after rain. Course drains poorly, like many in Nola.

In short I love this course

As usual my friends and I always enjoy it here at City Park north course it's always a pleasure to play here

Championship golf in the heart of New Orleans!

The course has a great layout and is challenging. The course allows you to hit a errant shot without penalizing you too much. A must play in NOLA.

Greens continue to be in good shape. Speed and Roll is good. Course is still soggy even after rain couple days ago.

The course to play when I come home

I have had the good fortune of playing this sport we love all over the world, and certainly throughout the U.S. Golf came to me in my 30s, so I didn't spend much time at all with the sport when I grew up in the crescent city. What I love about The South course is that it has all the charm of the city. The track itself is not perfection, but, it is a great place to play in a fantastic city. Let's face it, New Orleans will never be a golfing paradise. There is just too many other activities to indulge in. But, when your festivities are done, or before they start anew, this is a great way to unwind. The greens are pure. The bunkers have the fluffiest sand I have ever played in (not that you want to be in the bunkers too often). The fairways are well manicured. The layout is challenging enough. All this can be found at many golf courses, but what can't be found are those views of this unique city, and the Spanish moss hanging down from those Live Oaks f better than a hundred years in age. The Pelicans and other water and air fowl is a treat as well that sets this course apart. The pricing is high for the city, and no doubt set for an air of exclusivity. And the staff is wayyy too stuffy for a city known for its hospitality. But the most heartbreaking part is that this "city" course has no inner city youth playing on it! A huge miss in my opinion. All this notwithstanding, it is my favorite place to play when I return home.

Greens beaten up!!

No one fixes there ball marks any longer. New Orleans if y’all want a good course to play on in the future FIX YOUR BALL MARKS!!!! Other than that had a great time.

One of the best courses in New Orleans.

The course pace was a little slow for a few holes, but not bad considering it was one of the nicest weekends in a while for golf. Staff was friendly, but the area that needs improvement is the bar/restaurant inside. The turkey sandwhich was a roll with a small slice of turkey, but nothing else. I’ll still be back to play again, just don’t order the food.

Birmingham Advisor

Bayou Oaks is a pleasant play, but not ready for PGA Tour

I was intrigued to play Bayou Oaks at City Park since it has generated so much buzz locally and regionally. Particularly, that in certain circles it has been rumored that the Zurich Classic could eventually move here from TPC Louisiana.

Having played it, the course is very well manicured. Course conditions were optimal. Yet, I cannot envision a Tour event here. It is too flat, too open and the greens are too large for a Tour event not to turn into a minus-30 kind of event. The course can be lengthened to stretch more than 7,000 yards. But there are few hazards to challenge a Tour pro. I believe they would eat this course alive, particularly in the current team format. I honestly think in a stroke play format that a Tour pro could scare 57 here.

That said, it does not diminish the quality of the course. The Tift Eagle greens were exceptional. Approach shots held great and puts. Though grainy, rolled very true. The fairways were excellent. The bunkers were of high quality. It had rained earlier in the day, making the sand slightly wet and packed.

The course has its fair share of its’ namesake - large oaks. Still, the course is very wide off the tee. I didn’t find myself blocked out from the green except once when missing the fairway. There is a ton of room. There are a couple of wetlands and a few ponds that come into play, but the course is largely free of hazards. Again, when hazards are present, there is a wealth of room to play away from it, rendering the hazards pretty much a non-issue.

The course offers two putting greens, a double-decker driving range and what appeared to be an indoor practice facility in a bubble, though I didn’t investigate.

I played at 4 pm for $60. I’m not sure this course warrants the $160 non-resident peak rate. The course, however, is a part of rebuilding the area neighborhoods surrounding City Park, so that adds to the value.

In summary, this is an ultra-playable track that will likely yield one of your better scores, provided you play well.

u173719581
Commented On 06/20/2019

The bubble is the maintenance facility. :)

great track,but slow play

love the course, greenskeeper is on the ball....but pace of play was awful

Not worth the money

The course is in the city making it attractive to visitors and residents alike, but it's not worth $75 for residents or $135 for non-residents. The greens are OK and very slow. This course should cost no more than $50.

Better than I thought

First time at the new course. Had been told it wasn't worth the money. Found the conditions, i.e fairways, greens, bunkers, etc. in very good shape. Fairways wide enough. Many tee positions to choose from. Layout reminiscent of the older East & West courses. Albeit a rather chilly day and slow play, the overall experience was most enjoyable.

Valid dates: Sep 16, 2019 - Mar 31, 2020