View of the 7th green from The Azalea Nine at Bobby Jones Golf Course.

Style Reversible
Bobby Jones Golf Course

Year Built 2018
Greens TifEagle Bermuda Grass
Architect Bob Cupp (2018)

Golf School Academy Yes - "Bobby Jones Golf Academy"

Interesting concept.

Fantastic for an urban golf course. I really liked the concept of reversible tees and double greens. And the course has all the length you need. But it’s wide open like a cow pasture. Can seem like a shooting gallery with people hitting right at you at times. Few trees and few hazards. Still good value for the price.

Endless variety

I love the changes at Bobby Jones. I played the Azalea for the second time, this time with my 12 year-old son. The variety of tee boxes gave us so many options for how to play each hole. The layout is creative and interesting, with a short par 4 and 5 giving you a chance to score. It's a fantastic option for a round of golf "in town."

Awesome

Have not played the course in a long time. The change is amazing. Such a fun playable course. Greens were phenomenal and lightning fast. Course is wide open for the sprayers but the green complex is its best defense. Have a short game at this course!!

Staff ruined our experience.

Course was in good shape, but the staff ruined our experience. Incredibly strict about tee time; gentleman in pro shop threatened to remove us from the tee sheet because we had one member running behind and all had not checked in 10 minutes before. Starter and course monitor questioned which “level” we were playing from even though 2/3 members of the group played collegiate golf. Layout was tricky and different from a traditional course. When the starter was asked to provide a summary of the course outline, flag positions, etc., he asked why we didn’t have any questions and failed to provide any type of informative response. The staff ruined our experience and I will NOT be back. There are far better courses in Atlanta for the money.

An incredible redo

Having grown up in Atlanta, I have played the public golf courses offered there many times. One course I avoided was Bobby Jones in Midtown. The course was neglected and the layout could be down right dangerous as several of the holes put you in harms way from a slight slice or pull by your fellow golfers. This was in part due to small acreage the 18 holes covered.. Last year, the course was converted from an 18 hole course to a 9 hole course and a world class driving range was added. To my great surprise, the developers saw to it that the fairways and greens are as good as any course in Atlanta, public or private! The condition and speed of the greens are as good and fast as any in town. It is a true pleasure to play a public golf course that as in good of condition as the expensive county clubs. The course is a must stop for any avid golfer that visits the area and can be enjoyed for all level of players as each hole has 9 different tees to choose from. Once the club house gets finished, it will also boost a facility that resembles a private county club and will host the GA Golf Hall of Fame and a full service bar and restaurant. I couldn't be happier that such a facility is offered at such affordable prices and is in such a convenient location. Please make plans to stop and play as you won't be disappointed!

Hot Fire - Fun track

This is the most fun you’re gonna have playing and reversible 9 track. Parkland style course but very Linksy feel. 8 tee boxes to choose from you can play it from 7400 to 3600 yards, huge greens with super fun pin locations. If you don’t have a blast playing here, you’ve got serious issues. Fun and funky, never boring.

Nice layout, friendly staff, concrete tee boxes

The course layout is nice once you start playing its easy to follow. The staff is friendly and very helpful to make sure you don't get confused. greens are fast. My only issueis with the incredibly hard tee boxes. they literally supply every cart with a mallet to hammer in your tee. So they know it's an issue and they are doing what they can to accommodate. Aside from the hard tee boxes I'd play again only when there's a deal for 18 holes.

quirky but fun

I think I might not get lost the next time I play the course...it was a bit confusing with two flags on each green...and...holes are pretty close together and we saw golfers on our fairways who were playing other holes...still...it was a fun but hot round....our GPS took us to the old clubhouse..too...

Best in Town

Great layout, great condition, pace of play above average for in town public course. If you are looking for a traditional 18 hole course with small greens and a lot of trees (a la previous Bobby Jones course or Chastain), then the new Bob y Jones is not for you. The huge greens and open layout in great condition and makes it playable for players of all skill levels while still challenging and fun for players with low handicaps. While I find playing 9 twice very enjoyable even without separate pin positions, the large greens make playing different pin positions play like a different hole entirely at times. Highly recommend the golf and whole experience!

fun

great nine! great weather and scenery when we played

Difficulty Extremely Easy

Ridiculous pricing for what you get. No walking fee.

It’s sad that if I want to walk during the day time, on a weekday, I have to pay the same amount as cart rider. Now what the heck is the incentive of coming here on a day when I’m playing hooky from the office? Answer: no incentive.

There is literally no excuse for the pricing at this course. $50 for 9 holes? $100 for 18 on a weekend? You get 1) a confusing layout. 2) tee boxes hard as rock. 3) maintenance obstruction slap middle of a fairway. 4) canned soft drinks for $4, and 5) a less than mediocre experience.

The greens are bearable. The range is cool too. But that’s about it. Wouldn’t recommend.

This should not advertise as a regular full 18 hole golf course

This golf course is A JOKE. We were completely fooled by its name and pricing. We paid over $55 for 18 hole play in late afternoon tee time. We were told that they don't have 18 holes but told to play same 9 hole twice but use different color flags, red and white. The course does not have tee ground and the ground was so hard that could not plug the tee. People must walk dog on the course that dog poo was on the golf course. It was much enjoyable to play Hooch golf course comparing the way of the golf course setting. Regardless to say, any golfer who is looking for playing a regular 18 holes should be aware that this is not a regular 18 hole golf course.

This was my first time playing here since they redid the course to the reversible 9 holes. Played the Azalea course. I think the negative reviews are unfounded. It's different than a standard course now with the lack of true tee boxes, but this didn't bother me. The course was in great shape and it was easy to tell where to go. The staff was very helpful. I think the course is easier now than the previous version, maybe due to the more open design, but still challenging around the greens. My only knock down on the rating is due to the expense, as I felt the $35 was too much for 9 holes, even at a nice public course.

Excellent course in the heart of Atlanta

I played here for the first time this past weekend and had a great experience. The staff was friendly and professional and the driving range is top notch! I read reviews about the course being difficult to navigate, however, we had no issues and found it very straightforward. Overall, the course is challenging and in great condition. Can't wait to come back for another round!

Excellent course in the heart of Atlanta

Played here for the first time the other weekend and had a fantastic experience! The staff was very professional and the driving range was excellent. I had read issues about the course being confusing to navigate, but after the first hole we didn't have any issues and found it straightforward. Overall, the course conditions are great and the views are tremendous. Can't wait to get back out for another round!

Imagine me playing this course again

The course itself is not anything spectacular. It’s what you get from a public golf course. But the staff doesn’t care. I asked why they don’t use tee boxes (out of curiosit) and was told “you could play somewhere else.” Our cart broke down and eventually we just picked our bags up and walked after waiting for 30 minutes. No one ever showed up. The pace of play is pathetic, there’s no one to speed pace of play. I will make sure I tell anyone I know to not waste there time. Chastain, cobblestone, towne lake are courses astronomically better than this place.

Interesting 9 hole course in downtown Atlanta

I played the old 18 hole course a couple of times when I was in town and wanted to try the new design. It is 2 9 hole layouts (Magnolia and Azalea) that share large dual greens. You can’t play the 2 9s on the same day - I think they have you tee off from dIfferent tees if you’re playing 18 the same day. The old course had a lot of trees and a fairly crowded design. The new one is open (I played Magnolia) and has 8 sets of tees that are chosen by how far you carry your driver. The standard ones appear to be #5 for men and # 3 for ladies. I played #6 (carry the ball 230-240 with my driver) and that was comfortable.

The fairways and rough seem to be similar, ie, there is no high rough. Drainage wasn’t bad- played just after a rainstorm. The greens are very firm, moderately fast and roll true. The course itself is nicely landscaped, open and moderately challenging-hard to hold iron shots on the greens. The practice facility looks great but I did not use it. Parking is covered. They pro shop is in a temporary trailer. The staff are friendly and very helpful.

Overall would play again but not sure I would do 18 as you’re basically playing the same 9 twice.

Tennessee Advisor

Poor conditions and confusing design... an unfortunately discredit to the Bobby Jones legacy

I went to the course with high hopes and an open mind. I had read some articles about the innovative design, reversible nines, and 8 tees box choices. From the first tee I was greatly disappointed.

First, the first tee box was so hard it broke the tee. I had to find a crack in the ground to get a tee in. All the tee boxes were just as hard. The fairways lack any definition and it was hard to know where to aim your drive. The on-cart GPS system was very little help. I hit a fairly good drive. My average drive is about a 200-210 carry with a roll -out to 220-240. I found my shot 280 yards from the tee (cart GPS number). Why? the fairways were rock hard as well. I now had a about 240 to the green on the par 5, so I used my hybrid which normally runs 180-190. I found the ball 20 yards to the green - a 215 shot.

All the fairways were in similar shape. The 270y 4th (I played the Azalea nine from tee 6) had my tee shot on the back of the green 25 yards from the hole. And yes, the green are very large to accommodate the reversible nines. Sure I got a birdie on the card but this in no way reflects my standard level of play. I have never played in the UK but this is how I imagine it is there, play your shot 20-30 short of the green and run it up (because you will never stop a shot into the green). A since many of the holes are doglegs (some are severe semi-circle doglegs) you can easily run out of fairway unless you take a risky line cutting the corner.

The par 4 9th hole (Azalea) is perfect example of the confusing design and haphazard way your are forced to play the course.. On the card it is a par 4, 468 y hole. With no tee box (just a plaque on the ground where you play from) you really don't know where to hit the ball -- no defined fairway just green grass ahead. You see the water fronting the green but it is nearly 330 yards away. My drive went 320 (I did have wind at my back) leaving a comfortable 145 yard shot in. I hit a solid 2nd shot that landed front/center of the green and continued back another 30 yards nearly to the practice putting green. There is no way to hold this green by playing 20-30 yards short because you need to clear the water bank that is just short of the green. I can;t imagine where my ball would have ended up with a shorter drive and a longer iron into this green. It was a frustrating hole and a frustrating round overall to say the least.

I paid for 18 so I teed it up again with hopes of using my new-found knowledge of the layout and playing conditions. Now, the afternoon crowd was playing with hackers lining the fairways, tees, and greens. I quit after 1 hour having played only 3 holes.

This course seems more like a golf playground than a true golf course worthy of the Bobby Jones name an legacy. The 8 sets of tees are somewhat nice idea as you can introduce youngsters and new golfers to the sport but the conditions are not representative of what you will find at 90% of courses in the area or in the USA so the introduction is a false one and perhaps a exasperating one especially when no shot but the most perfectly played will hold the green.

The practice facilities should be the only reason to visit this course. There are two sets of practice tees (both sides of the practice area), two putting areas, a chipping green with sand, and a nice, short "Cupp Links" where you can practice your wedge and short irons shots.

I am not generally this harsh (or this long) with my reviews but this "course" deserves this level of harshness.

Commented on 05/30/2019

Thank you for taking the time to review us! We are sorry to see that you did not fully enjoy your time with us. We are always looking to improve, so we appreciate you taking the time to give us some feedback. We hope to have you back in the future.

New design.

The new design is the best they could do with the land, but for $50+ for 9 holes I’ll drive out of Atlanta. If it’s your first time out and you don’t have a regular in your group good luck navigating the course. The tee boxes are barely recognizable and there are two separate 9’s for 9 greens. If my buddy and I weren’t playing with a regular I would have walked off. I understand that they are a new course, but they need to get organized or charge significantly less money.

Valid dates: May 05, 2020 - Dec 31, 2020