Balboa at Sepulveda Golf Complex

Blue (W) 73 6370 yards 76.3 129
Yellow 72 5679 yards 66.3 105
Yellow (W) 73 5679 yards 72.5 119
Scorecard for Balboa
Black M: 70.6/120 W: 77.8/131 400 361 484 200 501 429 390 409 383 3557 379 319 514 158 388 352 373 218 361 3062 6619
Blue M: 69.4/117 W: 76.3/129 381 338 471 190 490 419 374 397 374 3434 371 298 490 148 377 334 361 207 350 2936 6370
White M: 68.6/113 W: 75.0/126 371 326 453 172 482 412 365 389 361 3331 362 276 460 134 366 319 332 198 337 2784 6115
Yellow M: 66.5/106 W: 72.5/119 358 315 434 115 458 396 339 368 346 3129 328 238 418 111 344 294 321 177 319 2550 5679

Year Built 1954
Architect Steve Timm (2008) William P. Bell (1954)

Carts Yes - $8 - $14

Greens

First off because I didn't know the greens were being punched we decided to play Encino because Balboa was running 30 mins behind. The greens of course on the front 9 at Encino weren't bad but I like to keep score so putting is essential while i'm playing. I don't think it's fair to your Customers to not let us know that the greens are under repair and then charge us full price. Thank God I was smart enough to ask if we could play the other course. I know you will not respond back or even think about giving us at least $10.00-20.00 off the next round which I would feel is fair. I drove from Torrance, CA to Encino. Map it out. that is a long drive to go and be surprised. Other than that I always enjoy my round no matter what bad circumstance come up.

Poor pace and rude starter

Pace of play at 9am on a Sunday was 5.5+ hours which is a little slow even by LA standards. I expected somewhere around 4.5 since it was on the earlier side. The starter was pretty rude, as others have mentioned. They also have a policy where if you're a single and they dont book a 4some for your tee time you have to pay the single rider fee. It states when you book the tee time that there is a fee for single rider, but most other courses only charge you more if they have a full group and you specifically request your own cart. It was only $4 but still, its not my fault you couldn't fill your tee time. Doubt I'll be going back. I decided last minute to get in a round before an afternoon flight and this was the only course that had something available before 10am otherwise I may not have went in the first place.

Typical Muni

This is good average golf. A number of bunkers need conditioning and sand. There are some bare spots near some of the greens. Course is in much better shape than it used to be years ago. Good value for seniors and twilight players. Pace of play is usually pretty good.

Avoid at all cost

The place is God awful the starters are awful and unorganized and I'm being kind,, the course is the worse course I think I have ever seen ,,,,please avoid

Too bad

It's the oldest and most basic golf course I've ever played. The guy checking us in told us that the greens were just punched and the course was in bad shape...for a round we prepaid for!! If you golf in jeans or gym shorts and a Tshirt, this place is for you.

Hot day cool golf

The course is in good condition for us being in a drought. The greens are the best I have played on this year. The staff was friendly and helpful. Will be going back again but when it is cooler, was 102 the day I played.

Played a round in 3 1/2 hours

Shot 89 in a 3 1/2 hr mid-day round, great pace. Flat course so easy to walk, fairways and greens in good condition. Got lucky, it was over 90 degrees but overcast so didn't feel too hot. Crazy weather.

Good pace of play

I played at 1 pm when it was very warm. Because there were not many players, the play moved very smoothly. The overall condition of the golf course was good.

Easier of the two Sepulveda courses

This is my home course, so I usually come here once a week to play the back 9 ($14). It can get pretty crowded, especially on Sundays, so be prepared for a slow round if you're not teeing off super early. Balboa is shorter than Encino, but the fairways are not quite as wide (they're still wide). The par 3's are pretty easy here and give you a great shot of getting birdies.

Great practice round!

Greens are in great shape in spite of the drought. It was hot, so course was wide open. Finished in a little over three hours. Plenty of shade to park cart in while waiting for group ahead. Straight hitters (or bombers) should have no problem scoring well here.

Great Round

Golf course is in great shape, greens are as good as I have ever seen. The pace of play was excellent, 18 holes in under 3.5 hrs. Tee boxes were in great shape as were the fairways and the fringe was perfectly manicured to allow putting from off the green.

Valley Secret

For those of you who have not yet played the Balboa/Encino golf course, you're missing out. Surprisingly, even in the drought, both the Balboa and Encino golf courses are in great condition, thanks to a recycled water usage that allows the course to be well watered. The greens are in excellent shape right now as well. While the course is heavily played, because there are two 18 hole golf courses next to each other, the pace of play moves fairly good. An 18 hole round takes about 4 hours on average to play. Early mornings and afternoon play is obviously much quicker, but even with a 9:54 Tee time, we were able to be off the course a little after 2PM. One piece of advice, when booking a tee time, check with the club house to see if there are any tournaments. If there is a tournament on one of the courses, this can greatly slow play. Enjoy!

Balboa GC

Very Slow Greens. No water jugs or water fountains only in the one restrooms. Only saw the Cart man once. Never had so much sand dust on my shoes n pants.

Greens still recovering

Course was in decent condition except the greens were still recovering from aerification. Pace of play was surprisingly very good for a Sunday - we finished in 4 hours.

A day at Balboa municipal golf course

Gary the starter, is a great friendly guy. Tee boxes are level for most part, fairways are as good as can be expected for the drought in Ca. The best part were the greens, very smooth and fast, but held shots very well. Wings and cold beer in bar are excellent. Overall a fair value, would visit again.

Getting drier. Be ready for the water-shortage conditions

Hadn't played in about a month and half, so I thought I'd come to this good little LA City track and warm up the swing a bit and have a nice afternoon walk. The greens are great. They're rolling true, fast, and makes up for the rest of the course. Not too soft, not too firm, but just right to make it fun enough to play. Right now, the rest of the course is starting to dry up and getting crusty - but on a positive note, that makes the ball roll far, so if you hit it straight-ish towards the green, you're only going to have a short club in! But because the sister course Encino is punched, Balboa was hella crowded today and played in 4.5, when it usually plays around 4 hours during the week. But I presume that the conditions are going to get worse. But I thought Encino/Balboa used reclaimed water so these courses here should be in better shape than most? May be the 25% reduction thing hits every water source. Shame, that.

Poor weather

Good shape for a heavily played muni.

It was a rainy cold day, but overall not bad as long as you were prepared. I used to play this course a couple of times a month, so I'm pretty familiar with it. Scores were not great, but had lots of fun. We had reservations, but the nice thing about the Balboa course is that the Encino course shares the facility so if you are a walkup you have double the chance to get on.

Great First Experience

Living in SoCal all of my life and having played golf for the last 15 years I am now upset I never played this course. Lots of fun, large fairways, greens in great shape and some challenging holes. Looking forward to playing it again or even its sister course Encino.

San Francisco Advisor

Nothing wrong w/ this Course

I played mid-day on a weekday. I was a single and was paired up with another single who had played the course several times so it was nice to have some local knowledge. Pace was nice. We had a foursome in front of us but they kept things moving right along nicely. Greens were in great shape, no complaints at all there. Fairways were average but nothing to get upset about. Especially at this price. If I'm at Pebble, Kapalua, or Indian Wells then I expect immaculate fairways but at $30-$35..... Again no complaints. As far as the course layout. Nothing major one way or the other. It's completely flat with no real challenges so it's a good course for bigginners and walkers. Lastly, I read about the lack of a food cart on a review. Not true. There was a fully stocked food cart that came around a few times during my course of play which again was mid-day on a Thursday. My only complaint was that the pro-shop was closed. Luckily I didn't NEED anything. But it's always nice to look

Balboa

LOVE THIS COURSE. LOVE THE STAFF. So great to have this course and it's neighbor, Encino Golf Course in my town.

Valid dates: Oct 19, 2018 - Dec 20, 2018