Streamsong Resort - Black Course

Silver 73 6240 yards 69.5 125
Scorecard for Black
Green M: 74.7/135 573 361 480 601 211 342 178 427 450 3623 548 463 571 441 298 133 463 205 586 3708 7331
Black M: 72.0/130 508 326 423 581 177 321 158 408 408 3310 524 395 531 421 286 131 442 189 530 3449 6759
Silver M: 69.5/125 W: 74.8/130 466 309 394 550 158 299 135 377 360 3048 502 378 510 382 261 110 400 154 495 3192 6240
Gold M: 65.1/116 W: 69.5/119 420 276 306 450 135 252 103 357 317 2616 434 320 404 321 242 78 323 124 431 2677 5293

Year Built 2017
Architect Gil Hanse (2017) MacCurrach Golf (2017)

Caddies Yes

Golf Channel

Second round pluses the FUN

Had a chance to play Streamsong Black again yesterday and had a blast. The first round you play, you rely heavily on the caddie for sight lines, green reads and virtually everything. The second round had me a lot more comfortable with the blind shots (because there's a lot of room out there) and even more encouraged to take advantages of the wild green contours that distinguish the Black from the C&C's Red & Doak's Blue.

We had two weather delays (lighting) throughout our round which is typical of Florida in the summer. The difference is that the clubhouse and attached Bone Valley Tavern are a great place to wait out Mother Nature. In total, the round took us about 7 hours to complete (totally not the fault of the course or staff). I was playing with two friends who hadn't played the course before and even though we were only there for the day and had a long drive back, I would be happy to wait it out again.

I still haven't had a chance to try the short pitch-n-putt course called the "Round About", which looked like a lot of fun. I've tried it before, but this time we didn't have time to play the putting called "The Gauntlet".

All-in-all, the Black Course has taken over as my favorite at Streamsong. The course is fun and won't beat you up, the separate clubhouse and facilities are excellent (though there is no shower) and the overall vibe is one that I prefer.

Looking forward to heading back soon.

Not an “Additional Course”

While the Red and the Blue receive rave reviews because they’ve been open longer, the Black course more than holds it own compared to its counterparts. You need to be prepared for absolutely wild greens that require precise iron shots or your ball can easily be ejected off of greens if you don’t appreciate the width and angles components of golf course architecture.

The best putter in your foursome will likely favor the Black course while the precision driver will like the Red and the precision iron player will like the Blue. The first five holes or so I didn’t think the course was that difficult because I was playing to the correct parts of the green and left with flat or slightly uphill putts. The second an iron shot went off line I met the wrath of Gil Hanse and Streamsong Black.

Tip: the practice putting green is the flattest out there and not at all indicative of the course. Go practice putting on the putting course to truly appreciate what you’ll be up against.

Crazy Cool Course

I have lived in Florida for some years now and this was the first time that I have been able to get down to the Streamsong Resort, all I have to say is wow.

The resort is tucked away in the middle of no where and from the front entrance to the compound to the clubhouse of the Black course is a good 3 miles.

I have heard great things about the Blue and Red courses but because the Black course was just opened I had to check it out. The course requires you to take a caddy and man do you need it. For the first time player I found it extremely difficult from the back tees due to many blind tee shots and approach shots, so in my opinion the caddy was well worth the fee.

The course layout is great and I did not get bored once on the course, it always kept you on your toes, especially the greens, they were some of the most unique greens I have ever played on, they were quick and they were challenging.

I played from the back tees and those of you who usually do, I warn you that you will have a long day. However the back tee boxes offer great views of the surrounding areas and beautiful scenery.

Other than the sweltering summer heat in Florida I can not wait to go back, the prices are reasonable in the summer months and I highly recommend the resort for a guys golf trip.

Golf Channel

This course is BIG!

The first of our weekend “Streamsong Triple”, the Black Course is the newest of the three tracks. The Black is set on a different piece of land that the Red and the Blue. The Black is simply a lot of fun. It’s a big golf course with a ton of fun shots. Streamsong required a forecaddie for all courses and you will get your money’s worth at the Black Course because there are a ton of blind or confusing tee shots and layups. The course plays really wide so you can be 100 yards away from your playing partner and still both be in the fairway. The now famous windmill plays as a target marker for a series of shots throughout your round.

There is a ton of variety throughout the round, so much that it’s hard to really hone in on my favorite stretch. The one tip I will give is that you need to favor the left side on #17 (Par 3) and #18 (Par 5) as everything feeds hard right. The caddie should tell you, but if he doesn’t that tip alone will save you at least few shots.

The Black Course has it’s own clubhouse with an 18 hole putting course called The Gauntlet. It’s a lot of fun post round to play a quick round with a beer or two. Take note that as of July 2018, the Black Course does not have showers, so if this is your last round before heading home, you will need to take a shuttle over to the Red/Blue to freshen up.

Of the three courses, this is the course that I would say is the most fun and unique of the three. I would definitely play it again because I'd be a lot smarter now that I've seen it.

Disappointed

Layout was fun really the redeeming quality. Conditions were dissapointing, fairways were thin, greens were slow and had patches throughout all of them. Then there was the service, or lack thereof. From calling in, to checking in, to playing and after, no one have any type of service at all. No communication, no one who would answer a question, and when you finally did get an answer it was different from what the previous person said. Really unbelievable for a resort of this supposed caliber. Go for the layout, but don’t expect much else.

Expensive Walk but Great

Playing the Black course was a nice experience. The property of Streamsong is pretty unique and part of the draw. The Black has a beautiful layout and landscape. It’s a great course to walk and feel the course with your feet. Greens are firm and fast but that’s about all I have to say positive about the greens. The designs of almost all of them are extreme for even a scratch golfer. Many of the greens are runoff areas and the usable green space is extremely small for pin placements. I loved the waste bunker areas and the runoffs from green and fairway straight into the sandy areas. Reminded me of Pinehurst and other Coore Crenshaw layouts in the sand areas of the US. I haven’t played the red or blue but it sounds like they are a little more visually appealing/memorable than the black. Greens fees food and merchandise are extremely expensive. I would feel ok paying $150 for the black course but not $260 which is the same as Whistling Straights. Will be back to play red and blue and eventually the 4th course slated to break ground later this year.

Black Attack or rather Greens Attack

Really wide open fairways which offset the really large and difficult greens. It really makes for some interesting and fun putts. The options around the greens are almost limitless. Bump & Run with mid-irons, long-irons, hybrids. Chip & flop shots with wedges. Putts from almost 10 yards off the green. All are options and required for this place. Making it for a full arsenal of shots in 18 holes. You will have a great time here. A must play.

Hanse out to make a statement

This is no doubt one of the more visually interesting courses you'll ever play. Hanse is out to make a statement on what feels like every hole. And quite a few holes here make the case for Top 5 on property. I particularly loved the par-5 18th hole, and the par-3 5th felt a bit like Florida's take on Portrush's Calamity. It's about as intimidating of a tee shot as you'll play on a par 3.

There are opportunities for birdies here, and I even had a couple make-able eagle putts. That said, I curry favor to the Red and Blue at Streamsong. I think Hanse was really trying to outdo his predecessors, and the result is a ton of sand and quirks, like blind shots and punchbowl greens. You definitely need a reliable caddie your first loop around to have any sort of idea what to do on these holes. I found Red & Blue to be a little more straightforward and comfortable off the tee, which is in my mind more appealing for a resort course.

Back in Black at Streamsong

A year after being one of the first golf writers to tour Streamsong Black, it was great to tee it up to see how it played first-hand. I loved it.

Having played so many modern courses, I'm kind of numb to wild greens. The criticism that they're over the top might be valid, especially the punchbowl green at no. 9 and the short par 4 at no. 14, but I'm okay with Hanse's overall philosophy. It sounds like the 13th green on the right will be the first to be tweaked.

The fairways extend for days, but I like the features that give the approach shots more definition - the massive waste bunker on no. 5, the deep circular trap on no. 6, the hump fronting the green on no. 8, the blind shot to the windmill on no. 9, the risk-reward pond shot on no. 18. To me, the really cool all-glass-wall clubhouse and Gauntlet putting green give the Black the edge as Streamsong's best overall experience.

Biggest single greens you’ll ever play

The Black is quite different than its sister courses. Fairways wide enough to land a 747 on combined with greens that could double as parking lots. As the course advisor says, you’ll hit more fairways and greens than you usually do, but then the fun starts. The greens are the course’s defense with 3 and 4 putts much more common than normal. The punchbowl 9th green has to be seen to be believed. While the course had a year to grow in, the fairways are still a bit thin/tight compared to the other courses.

On the downside, it’s quite a long walk - at least 8 miles, though flatter than Red or Blue. Can lead to very long rounds. It is also not as scenic as the other courses. But it’s an interesting and imaginative change from the original pair of courses - a horse of a different color. Time will tell, but would not see this jumping into the courses ratings at the same lofty perch as the Red and Blue.

Request A Vacation Quote From Streamsong Resort
Please provide your information below and a staff member at Streamsong Resort will be in contact to help you start planning your travel.
Fort Meade, Florida