Old Brockway Golf Course

Year built: 1926
Architect(s): John Duncan Dunn
Type: Public
Golf Season: Open: 4/01 Closed: 11/15

Old Brockway Golf Course is a scenic nine-hole course that offers spectacular mountain vistas and panoramic views of Lake Tahoe. The charming landscape is sprinkled with towering Jeffrey pines, meadows, and meandering streams. It was the first nine-hole course in the country to become certified as an Audubon cooperative sanctuary. The classic layout features tight fairways and postage stamp greens, putting a premium on accuracy and careful strategy. Bunkers and water hazards provide even more challenged. Old Brockway Golf Course has always been a local favorite and it has been host to countless celebrity golfers including Frank Sinatra, Bob Hope and Joe Kennedy.

Location is near local attractions   Great for 9-hole rounds walkers locals   Challenges include narrow fairways elevation changes   Great for drinks patio dining

"Old Brockway Course"

Suzanne9212905's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/01/2017

Decided to play Brockway because I hdt a HotDeal on Golfnow and I could not get a tee time at other courses I like better in the Truckee area. Upon arrival at the course, I was informed the cart is not included in the $70 green fee. So an additional $15.00 for a cart. Push carts were not available as they were sold out. I could have brought a push cart from Truckee but thought the carts were included. Shame on me for not reading the fine print. I was paired with three other ladies and then found out one of the husbands were going to accompany us. At first he said he was injured and would only be chipping and putting. After the first hole, he play the full course. This five some lead to almost a 3 hour round for nine holes. Unacceptable. The three dropped off as we made the turn as we had paid for 18. We skipped the first hole because an employee approached us and said if we were going to play behind the group in front of us - be prepared for a long 9. Skipping the first hole we played a great pace until the 5th hole and we were really bogged down again. This course has many people who are not regular players. The group in front shared clubs, rode three to a cart (one hanging off the back) and hit more trees than fairways. They also played the back tees. Speaking of tees, only the back tees are in good shape. All forward tees have very little grass in the tee box. So I quickly understood why they were playing the back tees. Water on the course is very limited. Water for purchase is limited even though there is a new pro shop and a remodel underway of the cafe at the course. There is no ice provided in the cart which you pay and additional $15 for. Restrooms are limited on the course and the Pro Shop restrooms are not the cleanest in town. Staff are the most friendly and it is hard to write this review thinking of them. I played this course three years ago and remembered it was expensive for the product offered. I will not play this course again - Hot Deal or not. It is not for me. There are so many other choices in Tahoe/Truckee area. Paying $85 was money wasted; glad I had a great golf buddy with me which made the day pleasant.

bingo2890's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/30/2017

"You HAVE to play this course!"

matthewsd50's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/22/2017

If you have the opportunity don't miss playing this course. If you're a high handicapper, like me, don't expect to shoot your average score the first few times you play it. But you will become more and more comfortable with each round. The history of this place is reason enough -- Google it. Beautiful surroundings. Lane, the owner, who is always in the pro shop is an incredibly nice guy and very helpful with whatever you need. Also has a great restaurant/bar and convenient driving range. I love Old Brockway and play it every time I'm in Tahoe.

"Value and history"

Ibeneverywhereman's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/04/2017

I have played this course several times per year for almost 30 years. I have played Scotland, Ireland, U.S.open courses, ultra private country clubs, high end public courses and all the Bandon Dunes courses. Playing Old Brockway is like coming home every time. The pro shop staff and guest services make me feel appreciated and their new pro shop is second to none. I have met and talked to their golf course superintendent (I try to meet as many employees as I can wherever I play) as well as their greenskeepers and they are friendly and hard working from what I can see. The condition of the course is phenomenal, fast poa/bent greens and thick, lush fairways are a pleasure to play. I understand they had an irrigation problem earlier this year but you can't tell that now, it's awesome. I will continue to play here again and again and occasionally treat myself and use my hickory sticks. The history of this course should be appreciated and though it was shaped in 1924 with a horse and laborers it's playing surface is terrific and meets modern standards. The character that the architect, John Duncan Dunn, created is nothing like the cookie cutter courses of today. Treat yourself and play this golf course!

"Best greens in Tahoe!"

Tahoegolfer99's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/12/2017

Played Old Brockway this morning and it was my best golf experience of the summer! I was very skeptical of the course because of the review on here but I was pleasantly surprised. The staff was very friendly and the greens were amazing. Will definitely make a trip every summer to play Old Brockway!

"Fairways are fried to a crisp!"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/05/2017

I have played this course many times and have enjoyed all of my prior experiences. Something went very, very wrong this year and all of the fairways are bone-dry, hard pan. Apparently, they have had a major irrigation incident on the entire course. The fairways have been sprayed green so it won't look so bad around the mountain setting. The greens are being hand-watered and are so fluffy they are some of the slowest greens I have ever played... ever!

Typically this is a fun 9 hole course with a nice mountain setting but I would consider it slightly pricey at $70 for 18 holes without a cart. In my opinion, there is a Tahoe premium built into the green fees. I used a popular phone app to prepay our foursome at $35 each player. I would have been pretty furious if I had paid standard green fees. Unfortunately, I think the course is lost for this season. I'll give it another try in the summer of '18... if they book my tee time after reading this review!

"Great Day"

smithrod256's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/18/2016
Previously played Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

I had a great time at this course. I enjoyed walking and enjoying the great Tahoe scenery.

"Fun course!"

ormond1912's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/11/2016
Previously played Walked Played 9 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

This course is a fun course and easy to walk. Course was in fantastic shape. Staff was friendly. Sand Trap on hole 8 is tough to get out of. Only gave four stars for value as the price is a little high for nine holes but worth it, otherwise five star experience.

"Wish there were 18 holes"

ewitt68's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/01/2016

Nice layout, excellent conditions. Like playing different courses when I travel. Even though I enjoyed this course, don't think I'd play it again.

"Wonderful, kid friendly course"

Eric4898789's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/26/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 9 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

This is a beautiful course. The greens are small and challenging. Pretty nice fairways and lots of trees along the sides to deal with as should be expected in Tahoe. I brought my 8-yr old son with me on a second round and the owner was thrilled to see him out there. The red tees made it kid friendly and the course isn't terribly busy so there wasn't a need to worry about slowing things down too much.

"I'm impressed"

mustang69's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/18/2016

I really enjoyed playing this course. The layout was unique, the greens were firm and the day was perfect for golf. For a nine hole course I was surprised and will be playing there again.

"Beautiful Course - Would Definitely Play Again!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/08/2016
First time playing Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

1st time playing this course - played 18 holes (walked). Played on a weekday afternoon, so course was not that crowded and pace of play was good. Course was in excellent shape, greens were perfect. Scenery was beautiful (lots of trees and blue sky). Was looking forward to getting a view of the lake, but really couldn't see it from any of the holes. Hole 1 was pretty tight, with houses on one side and highway on the other, but the other holes are fairly open. Will definitely play again!

"Nice Course!"

Lee1045226's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/17/2015
First time playing Walked Played 9 holes Good weather

The course was somewhat challenging but very playable. The average golfer will enjoy this course. We played during the annual aerating and sanding of the greens which made putting very difficult - but we knew that going into the round.

"Classic course fun fun fun"

Deepsea97's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/22/2015
Previously played Played with a group Walked Played 9 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Was in great shape and fun to play near the end of the day.

"Very Nice"

GolferGrandma's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/29/2015
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 9 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Very nice golf course! I normally walk 9-holes at age 65 but I was glad that the staff suggested that with the altitude and having just arrived, I might want to get a cart. I was glad I did.

"Amazing Outing"

Craigpassey's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/13/2015

I can't say enough great things about this course. Picturesque, well manicured, and the right amount of challenge to make for an anazing round.<br/> I highly recommend playing this course.

"Beautiful 9 hole"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2015

Very friendly staff and the course is in great condition!

"Beautiful 9 hole"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2015

Staff is really friendly and the course is in good condition!

"Nice"

garylee0712's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/26/2015
First time playing Played as a single Walked Played 9 holes Average weather

Played in late afternoon. Great value. fairways were kind of hard, but good overall.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"One More Reason To Visit Tahoe"

Brian9517943's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/17/2015

Enjoyable, non-stress walk in the pines. Some holes easy, others not so much. Course was in nice condition. Greens were not fast, but contoured enough to challenge. Golf Now red flag rate was attractive, but I'm not so sure the course justifies the standard rate.