Cottonwood Golf Club - Ivanhoe Course

Metal spikes allowed: Yes
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

championship 72 6764 yards 72.6 126
Regular 72 6445 yards 70.5 116

Location is in the 'burbs convenient to the city worth the drive   Great for locals walkers beginners   Challenges include undulating greens   Great for drinks

"Bad attitude"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/17/2018
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Staff is a pain. The course is improving and worth the money. No amenities.

"Still a great place"

vacuum1969's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/12/2018
Previously played Walked Perfect weather

I cant believe all the poor reviews. What a shame. They must have had a tough day and are blaming the course as so many do. Ive been playing this course for over 20 years. Its still a great place to play. Yes one of the courses has closed but Ivanhoe remains open and remains one of the best true golf courses in SD (straight forward old fashioned golf). My son and I played yesterday and had a fantastic time. We showed up early with no tee time. The staff was great and got us out quickly. And yes it was a Saturday morning. The course was in great shape overall. Greens and fairways freshly mowed and playing true. The weather was outstanding. We were done within 4 hours or so and only paid $35 to walk. What a deal. Thank you Cottonwood for doing what you can to hang in there in these tough days for SD golf courses. Yes the old range in closed and they have a makeshift one on the old Monte Vista course but its still enough to warm up. The practice putting green and short game area remain fantastic and I even noticed new sand in the practice bunker. Overall, you folks have done a fantastic job in hanging in there and I absolutely commend you for your efforts. Again, cant believe people are telling others to stay away. I say the exact opposite....support Cottonwood Golf Club!! The place has a serious history in SD golf (Ivanhoe used to be the qualifying course for the Buick which is now The Farmers at Torrey Pines. They made the course the qualifying place because its a classic tree lined legitimate 72 hold championship course) and deserves to stay around and be supported. I guess if your a complete primadona and want perfect conditions all day every day for cheap, this place may not be for you. How, if your a true golfer who appreciates a good deal and a real course, you owe yourself a round at Cottonwood. Yes the afternoon wind can be tough but that just adds to the tradition of this course. I am in no way affiliated with Cottonwood and am merely a local resident who has appreciated this place for years. I can only hope my kids can appreciate this place in a way that I have and it stays around to enjoy. I will be crushed if it goes away and we will have lost a classic in SD and one of the best deals in the county. Perhaps a little more support for this great place will allow them to spice it up again a bit. Negativity breeds bad scores. Stay positive and support public golf!! You will shoot a better round for it.

"meh"

chgodiego's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/15/2018
First time playing Walked Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Rumor had it (from a GN review) that this was 4 star, greens good... not so much: still bumpy from being punched and with no starter, rangers or cart girls, nobody got groups together - I was stuck as a single, between twosomes who were sandwiched between other twosomes.

only good news is someone turned in the sand wedge I left behind

"Going downhill fast"

nikeal's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/15/2018

I’ve haven’t played here in a long while but got a good deal for a Sunday and decided to go out with a friend. Wow what a shocker the Lakes 18 has been sold and closed. The clubhouse is no longer open and the cashier is now in the restaurant area. The restaurant is no longer and the bar is barely functional. The original driving range has been closed and is full of weeds and they’re using a old Lakes hole for the range. There was no starter or course marshal,so basically it’s being run by the cashier. Even the intercom is broken so we just had to rely on our tee time and others to tee off. The course is in average condition and the green had weeds growing and then just mowed down so putting was interesting. The owners just need to shut the whole operation down and sell the land to whomever they’re gonna sell to. What a waste of money. Won’t be back

Course Layout: Poor

"WORST SERVICE"

ahomaizad's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/14/2018

My buddies and I don't usually do this... but we had a friend in town so we had a group of 5 golfers last weekend. We called several courses around the Greater San Diego area to find one that would accommodate our group of 5. Cottonwood confirmed that they have no issues with 5-sums, so we set a tee time. Once we get there after 25 miles of driving, we are told that whoever answered our phone call the previous day misinformed us and that they would NOT be letting us play as a 5-sum. A simple phone call and apology would have saved them 5 disgruntled customers and this review.

No appreciation for the fact that we just drove almost 40 minutes to give them our business, no complimentary round, range balls, no apology. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Furthermore, their facilities are horrendous. All sorts of bugs, flies, and mosquitoes swarming in the restrooms, the range is falling apart, and the course itself didn't look to be in good condition.

I can also confirm the other reviews, that there is no marshal or any systems in place to keep the pace of play moving. When we pulled into the parking lot, we saw a 5-6 group back up AT THE FIRST TEE!!!

Give your business to another course that appreciates it!!

"You get what you pay for!"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/09/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Low price, no cart chicks, marshals or staff ... kinda like a ghost town golf course, but the greens were in the best shape they've been in for years! Worth the price of admission!

Pablo7216916's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/04/2018

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/03/2018

Surprised that course was in better shape than expected. Greens were not consistent but was a fun day all around.

"A little improved"

Pablo7216916's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/09/2018

Need to keep working on improving. It could be a good course to invite friends.

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/02/2018

"Ivanhoe whoas..."

ejlpar's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/28/2018

Ivanhoe lost its beauty and it must be real hard times to not manicure this once beautiful track. Closing the Lakes course didn’t help. Sell it and let someone else revive it. It would be a shame to destroy this once great course.

Parris's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/27/2018

"country and natural atmospheres"

1019317's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/23/2018

I used to go and play this course because it's natural circumstances than any other golf courses in San Diego and staff's kindness. Especially their green fee is quite reasonable.

"No player support"

uENJW2504EN's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/23/2018

The managers of this course takes no interest in the pace of play . It is such a shame that a great layout has been ignored and allowed to deteriorate to its present condition. No starter, no marshals and no cart beverages. Hard to ask players to rate a course that doesn’t seem to care about its players.

"Poor Maintenance and Upkeep"

U000001325604's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/17/2018

I last played this course about 1 yr. ago. Since then the course maintenance has been bad. Fallen trees don't get cleaned up. Ball washers are worthless. Water jugs/coolers that used to be throughout the course are empty. It was a nice 78 degree cloudless day with no drinking water and no Cart Person(s).

hopj545's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/08/2018

"Lessons during the round"

Swedeus's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/06/2018

Two of us tee’d off at 1pm, behind a foursome. For the first 15 holes, the foursome ahead of us played at a snails pace. One player was instructing the other three the entire time. They would lag about talking on the greens and the tees. The “instructor was teaching them how to swing and putt.

With daylight savings, this is unacceptable at 1pm on a Saturday. Actually any day and time. We played the last hole in the dark.

They did speed up on 15, after I nicely asked them to speed up play, because we wanted to finish before dark. If they had kept pace, we would have finished with plenty of light.

Unfortunately there are no marshals to monitor play, and this can be very frustrating.

Finally, we had reserved for 1pm and received a confirmation. The an email arrived informing us that it was no less longer available so it was pushed back to 1:22. I called and asked for earlier and was given 1:07.?!. This I didn’t understand.

Shiz's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/05/2018

"Don’t waste your time"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/04/2018

The course is really bad. Nothing is being taken care of. The greens are patchy. The fairways has some many gofer holes. No marshals on site. Players are cutting you off. The back nine had players who didn’t want to wait on the front to start so they jumped on the back. That backed up play an additional 35 minutes waiting to continue. Don’t waste your money here.

"A waist of money and time!"

don92021's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/31/2017

Started off by booking on golfnow and price was $26.00. Upon arriving I was told it was $35.00. Asked for balls for driving range, paid $5 then I was told that they were out of balls and if I wanted to hit any I would have to get them off the range myself!

Very disappointed with the entire experience. I have played here for years, but not after this, EVER! I do not and will not recommend this golf course to anyone!

Course Layout: Poor