St. Marlo Country Club

Year Built 1995
Architect Denis Griffiths (1995)

Banquet Facilities

Entertaining Clients 22

Great Potential Ignored

This course has the potential to be 5 stars. Great layout, fun to play, fairways are good. They do not take care of the greens and a lot of tee boxes are in rough shape. Has nothing to do with aeration, ball marks everywhere. They are charging for a course that existed in the past. Go to RiverPines in Alpharetta or Hampton Golf Village in Cumming. Last I played there were a bunch of singles and twos coming up behind us. Did not see a ranger once to regulate.

A SURE SHOT FUN TIME

So... St. Marlo is a "Go To" golf course for sure... The staff is friendly; the course is challenging and the superintendent is doing a super job keeping is "tight". The greens need some love and clearly some have a bit of fungus to deal with, but still roll nice and true. (only a few rough spots). Be ready for a challenging course with changes in elevation, some tight dog legs and your occasional extra narrow fairway. I mean, if the fairways were wide, this would be an easy sport right? ;) Great course and an excellent experience!! Try it out!

Above average

Second time playing there and the 2nd time was not quite as impressive as the first. Nice course, but I suppose due to COVID the course condition and up keep was not as good as the previous time in early March this year. I'll be back, in the spring of next year.

Needs maintenance

Course has a lot of potential. But the management does not invest in the maintenance. The cart paths are awful and poses a huge threat and liability. Somebody is going to get hurt. The greens are rotted with dry patches.

Better options elsewhere

I’ve played St Marlo many times in my 20+ years in Suwanee. Generally it’s always been a nice course in a beautiful subdivision. Some years conditions really good, other years just average for an upscale course.

But needed to warn fellow golfers about conditions and management of our round today. Right off the bat, we could tell course was packed full. I’m okay with that if pace of play stays decent. But, no joke, we were waiting a few minutes for every shot. We are not speed golfers, but not slow either. All four of us above average players.

On 10 fairway (short par 5), we were all about 180-200 yards out and waiting for green to clear to hit 2nd shots. The ranger abruptly drove up and told us to pick up the pace and keep up with the group ahead of us. When we mentioned they literally just left the green on a par 5 he stated we again needed to keep up. He drove over the the other twosome with us and said the same thing. They rebutted the same comments about waiting on every shot up to that point and that we were simply waiting for green to clear and he again said we needed to keep up. One of my partners said ‘sir I’m 210 out. Do you want me to hit while they are still on the green?’ He said ‘yes, I would’.... just ridiculous.

If that isnt bad enough, we get to the next tee (par 3) and, you guessed it, group ahead of us still chipping and putting. Waited another 5 minutes... the ranger followed us for the next two holes before leaving.

It’s a little offensive to be treated like that at a supposedly better than average course. I will mention the young man at check in counter was top notch.

All in all, just based on conditions and price, I’d steer clear of this place until they get the greens free of sand and pitch marks (really really bad) and they get some better training in place.

Anonymous

Very disappointing

Beautiful weather today- was very disappointed with our experience on the course though from start to finish (actually the starter was very pleasant). Most greens were in below average to poor shape, many had large swaths of sand on them. Several to many tee boxes were in very poor condition. After about 4 holes of very slow play a marshal rolled through and told us it wasn’t the group in front of us playing slow but it was a group on 9 that he had asked to pick up the pace. After a 3 hour and 10 minute front 9 we went to 10 where we again waited as the group in front of us teed off. After we tee off and are in the fairway a different starter comes through and tells us we need to keep up with the group in front of us. I said “sir, we have been waiting on every shot all day, how can we play faster?” He had just left my other 2 some who he had told the same thing to. My buddy said “sir, I’m 210 out and the group in front of us is still on the green. Do you want me to go?” The marshal then goes to the 4th golfer in our group and tells him we need to pick up the pace. Unbelievable. He then hovered around us over the next 5 or 6 holes (pace never improved, it was drudgery). Ended up being a 5 1/2 hour round. Next time instead of starting on 10 and telling that group to pick up the pace maybe the marshal can start on 18 and work his way backwards. Maybe the marshal can realize that folks can hit the ball 210 yards in 1 shot and that yardage isn’t a layup for us

Long day on a course with poor conditions and poor customer service. But hey, it was 70* and sunny!

Very bad pace of play. Greens are in terrible shape. Plus $80 per round. Give me a break!

Management is going down hill at this potentially great course. I think Club Corp should take over and invest some $$ and make this course a favorite again. The round I played yesterday was 5+ hours. You just get tired of waiting on every hole. Plus I have not seen the Greens rotted with dry spots on almost half of the Greens. Play somewhere else. Management doesn’t give a crap since the owner lives in Thailand.

Unless a new buyer comes, expect no improvement. Current local management is an embarrassment. Although the pro shop guys are very helpful, but they don’t have a say.

Rough Greens

The course has a nice layout and is challenging. Greens were not in very good condition and were recently plugged, which I feel I should have been notified of the aeration prior to spending $80 to play this course.

Horrendous Cart Path

It was cart path today and the cart path throughout the course is horrible...in worsening condition. Is the golf club out of budget and loosing golf revenue.?. I don’t see any phased repair over the past 3 years. This is a very good challenging golf course but it’s greens need to be rolled properly as they are very bumpy and that makes the putting very frustrating.

Greens need work

Nice layout, bad greens, slow play for a Wednesday

My friend and I play here for tournaments and individually. The course is always in great shape and the greens are fast. St Marlo is highly recommended.

Beware of fake paid ratings...

Logically impossible to rate this course 5 stars.. 3 at best. 2 for the price in which the conditions the greens, tee boxes, bunkers, and cart paths were in. I’m starting to think these 5 star reviews are being paid for... also, $90?? Get bent... I can play 36 holes at Stone Mountain or Reunion for this price.

Nice course but.....

The fairways were in good condition but the greens were terrible. Layout was good and pretty friendly for all players. We had a mix of 5-20 handicap players. $85 with tax is a little high for the course condition.

Nice course but needs work

The maintenance needs some work. The Greens are showing signs of decay and dry spots that have not been addressed, The sand bunkers are awful. On some sand bunkers they just dropped new sand but no raking. Come on!! Really?? The the awful and dreaded cart paths. It is going to break somebody's back. Management please pay attention and do something. The course layout is nice.

Not worth the money

The greens was not in good condition for the money. For a Sunday last minute round I would have understood but if the conditions don’t meet a certain standard. No thanks. I will is not play or advise anyone to play there again.

Alpharetta, Georgia