Type Public/Resort

Year Built 2018
Golf Season April 1st - November 10th
Architect Jason Straka (2018) Dana Fry (2018)

Caddies Yes

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Michigan (2018 #9)

South Course - Awesome!!!!

8 buddies on a golf trip thoroughly enjoyed the South course. Walked with caddies. Easy walk and a fun layout. Course and practice facilities were immaculate! Our caddies ( Travis & Ty) were really great. I’d definitely come back here again. My only complaint was that I requested individual caddies for each person in our group. When we checked in we were told we would only have 3 caddies. Only 2 caddies showed up.

Difficult New Links Style Course

Played this course a couple days after playing the Bluffs course. I have to say, this course is extremely difficult. I would say as of right now, it's almost set up for the pros because it is so firm; thus, increasing the difficulty.

Regarding the conditions... I said excellent because the course is pristine but here's the full scoop. The fairways are very very wide so there is some freedom to spray the ball but once in the fescue, it's best to just chop out. The fairways are still very firm and this will give one significant roll off the tee and when approaching the green (it's a smart play to land the ball short of the green and get it to bounce and roll onto the green). The greens are incredibly firm, which means that spinning a lob wedge from 80 yards with a full swing will yield a bounce, and no check (surprisingly). The greens are incredibly fast and that makes for some great putting! The greens all have false sides and hitting to the middle of the green is the safest play. The green-side bunkers have a ring of "rough" around them so if can leave a tough shot where the ball is stuck in the rough instead of the bunker (I wished they rolled into the bunker instead of staying the in the rough).

Overall, it's a great, very difficult course to play and I would recommend you play once (at your own peril lol) to say that you've played it but I would wait a couple of years until the conditions soften up.

Great Design and Fun to Play

Really enjoyed the layout and course conditions and the practice areas, first class! Now for the not so great. Paid my money but no directions to the practice facilities. Another minus was they said there would be a beverage cart out. We did not see one all day and it was toasty!
The final negative is that as a single I was stuck in between 2 foursomes. The foursome let me through, but the three some in front of them did not ask me to join them?
Pace of play?
It is a GREAT NEW COURSE TO PLAY!

Denver Advisor

A Modern based on Classics

I thought that the South Course would have been polarizing and reviews would have a love it or hate it showing. I am pleasantly surprised that all reviews are favorable. I would have thought that an old school architecture course with firm fast conditions, ground game emphasis, massive contoured greens and no water in sight would have been hated by plenty. I am glad that I am wrong; instead, it has been nothing but love by reviewers and add me to that list.
The course itself is all that is mentioned above and then some. Very Linksy firm and fast golf here. Take 15 yards off your approach shot and watch the roll. It is also very strategic as plenty of fairways have bunkers in the middle of them or cross bunkers. Both of these force decisions and accuracy. I've only seen this at links courses, but they are prevalent in Golden Age Private courses in the USA. The style of golf is mentally engaging and shotmaking is emphasized. Using slopes to bring the ball towards the pin happens frequently. Thinking about the run that your drive will have forces different lines on tee shots. In the end, you are going to have a lot of fun. I wish that I had time for 36 as things are learned in the first round that would help with future rounds. This could be a course for a lifetime as different pin positions and wind will demand different angles and shots.
Off the course, they have a driving range, putting green and chipping green. There is a temporary clubhouse which really just has a proshop and small restaurant but it has a good menu. (They are building a full clubhouse and maybe some lodging) The drive from the main lodge is only 10 minutes so not a big deal. Pace of play was great as I went out as a single and only had to play through one foursome. I was done in about 2.5 hours. Twilight rates make it reasonable. I also think that this course is quite walkable and the only walk of any type of distance would be between the two nines.
Over all this is a can't miss if you are in Michigan. Any golf trip to Northern Michigan should have this on the agenda. A unique, wonderful and fun public course experience.

Michigan Advisor

Surprise Sand South

Started off the 6 course, 3-day weekend with 20 bros at the South course. The training facility was pristine with everything you could imagine, use the bunkers because you’ll need the practice to slay this beast.

On to the course, it was in great shape but I feel like the rough and fescue need to grow a bit. My playing partners consistently blasted it, what one would guess is, outta bounds but no balls were ever lost and they had quite a day scrambling around the pitch.

The greens played a bit slower than expected. Be wary, every hole there is a trap waiting 250-290 yards in the fairway ready to eat your ball. The greens don’t get friendlier as most are better protected by bunkers than Fort Knox is with barbed wire.

Good luck, be ready for beach play

Will certainly turn heads in northern Michigan

I had the chance to play the brand new South Course twice over three days. I played from different tees in a different wind direction but walked both times. It's a very intuitive and walkable routing, something that can't be said for the more dramatic Bluffs course up the road.

The design here was a real treat and is sure to get a lot of attention as it matures. The site is certainly not showy like the Bluffs course but architect Dana Fry made the most of it, delivering something totally unique and unexpected given what seems to be the trends in resort golf these days. The angular, Chicago Golf/Seth Raynor-inspired shaping makes each shot engaging. I had a blast on it.

Each nine has a killer stretch of holes. On the front, Nos. 5-6-7 are great, and on the back, I especially love nos. 15-17. For those who think the Bluffs is too penal for them, it's really hard to get into too much trouble on the South.

What was especially impressive was the turf quality of the 007 bent grass, probably an 8.5-9/10 in terms of where they want it to be. Despite two days in a row of big storms, the fairways still rolled nicely and you could putt and bump-and-run shots into the green. Give the fescue areas another couple summers to really pop and make this place light up.

Arcadia hasn't made the big splash some other modern resorts have but they have slowly and methodically created a first-class destination over 20 years and now with two courses to play, a stay-and-play here is a real no-brainer.

A new Gem in Michigan

Four of us had the real pleasure if playing this new Dana Fry creation, inspired by renowned Chicago Golf. It is A+ in every sense and highly recommend playing it next season.

Arcadia Adds a Winner

This is probably the most mentally engaging course I have ever played. Every shot makes you think about where you want it to land. It was drizzling almost all day when I played this course, and the greens were still extremely firm and fast. There is almost no hope of having a ball spin backwards on these greens. You need to use the undulations to feed the ball towards the hole which makes for some very fun shots.

The greens. These are what make the course great. They roll perfectly, and have crazy undulations without being unfair. Each one is so unique.

Off the tee the fairways are pretty wide, but you do have to navigate the nasty fairway bunkers. If you go in one there is almost no shot of hitting the green. All of the bunkers were in perfect shape, even after a good bit of rain.

Some of the best holes:
Hole 2 is a short par 4 that is reachable for longer hitters with a severely undulating green. My buddy drove it and 3 putt for par.

Hole 5 is an uphill par 3 that may as well be an island green. Miss left and you are in a 6 foot deep bunker, miss right or short and your ball will roll 30 yards off the green.

Hole 9 is a long par 4 with a large false front in front of the green. The green is massive with two plateaus in the back right and left making two putts difficult if you are on the wrong tier.

Hole 12 is a Lions Mouth green which means it is shaped like a horse-shoe around a bunker in front of the green. Severely down hill off the tee, fun shot.

Hole 13 is a long uphill dogleg right with a pair of snake-eye bunkers 40 yards short of the green. The green is a giant punch-bowl style green funneling all shots towards the middle of it.

Hole 16 is a 230 yard par 3 that played into the wind for us, miss short or left and your ball will funnel into a collection area 15 feet below green level.

Hole 17 pays homage to Oakmont's famous church pew bunkers. DO NOT miss into these bunkers or you may be playing out straight sideways.

There is no clubhouse built yet at the South Course which was my only low mark from my experience there. There is no driving range but a really good putting and short game area. Pace of play was average, but I imagine the rain slowed everyone down a bit. You definitely need to add this to your must play list.

Michigan Advisor

A firm, fast, and beautiful puzzle

I'm going to start this review by saying for the most part, I will not be comparing the South course to the Bluffs course. There is such a huge different between the two that I don't believe it's fair to compare them. That being said, this is some of the most fun and challenging golf I've ever played.

Despite being inland, with no views of water and only two trees on the course, the views are captivating. The landscape rolls gently in some places and very harshly in others. The sun hitting the native grasses is gorgeous and the bunkers provide a delightful contrast amidst the greens and yellows.

The course plays very fast. Low shots will be your friend, especially off the tee and around the greens. It's in your best interest to roll your ball where it needs to end up instead of carrying it there. It's a play style that I've only ever had to use at the Kingsley Club, and it's one I thoroughly enjoy. It requires a lot more thinking and planning than the average golf course (especially around the crowed greens). The bunkers are strategically placed to gobble up your miss-hits. It's tough to make par after ending up in one, but it's a fun challenge. I don't think I've ever had to think this much while playing golf. It makes me want to play this course over and over.

With the opening of this course, I believe Arcadia Bluffs should be one of the top golf resorts in the Midwest. There are not many places where you can play two courses so uniquely different, both with breathtaking views. I love playing the Bluffs course, but the South course makes me want to come back just as much. I didn't think a new Arcadia course could possibly stand up to its older sibling, but the South course surprised me. Do yourself a favor and come play one of the most fun and unique golf courses you'll ever play in your life. I'll be back soon!

Arcadia, Michigan
Beulah, Michigan
Beulah, Michigan
Manistee, Michigan

Valid dates: Apr 03, 2020 - Jun 18, 2020
Every spring getaway should include the perfect mixture of lakeside recreation and 4-Star relaxation! The Tahoe Tap-in Stay & Play package offers a luxurious stay at Edgewood Tahoe Resort plus your choice of two rounds of golf with a cart at Lake Tahoe's only public lakefront golf course, two 50-minute treatments at the serene Spa Edgewood, or one of each for each night per reservation.