Year Built 2018
Golf Season April - December
Architect Bill Coore (2018) Ben Crenshaw (2018)

Credit Cards Accepted Yes
Dress code Appropriate golf attire

Beverage Carts

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Missouri (2019 #6)

Great course except...

My friend and I drove 2 hours to play this course. We needed to use the restroom upon arrival. To our astonishment there was only one bathroom at the club house for men and women. One stool! Outstanding course, friendly employees, but why on earth would you only have one bathroom? Johnny Morris screwed this one up!

Excellent Conditions

Ozarks National is a fantastic course and was in amazing condition. Greens were as pure as can be and free hot dogs at the turn was a nice touch!

tremendous C&C routing

I caught Ozarks National on a beautiful 80-degree August day and decided to walk the course. I wasn't alone; I saw a lot of trolleys out there that afternoon. The routing is definitely hilly but highly walkable with tees always steps from the previous green. The scenery is great throughout with long views (though Payne's Valley next door may have better overall views) and the walk comes with strolls across bridges in the woods and several "hub" spots at comfort stations.

After playing Payne's 13-hole preview in the morning, some landing zones at ON were a little tighter but there is still a lot of room on most tee shots. The green complexes are phenomenal and subtly tricky at times. There are risk-reward options, especially on the front nine, with two short par 4s and a few great par 5s, including the opener. The 5th is one of the best and boldest short par 4s in the country with decisions galore off the tee.

If I had to knock ON, it's that there are a few too many elevated greens, which might get old for higher handicaps. The par 3s and 5s are front loaded with 3s and 5s in the first 12 holes and 5 of the last 6 holes are par 4s. Quite a few of the tee markers were moved up a box compared to what the yardage was on the card and that's a pet peeve of mine. I ended up playing from the plates on some holes.

The par-3 17th is stunning but it ate my lunch. I went pin seeking to a back left location and ended up making triple.

I was a little surprised at how few amenities were at the Ozarks National clubhouse so for hot food you have to make the short cart trip to the Mountain Top-Payne's clubhouse. The practice facility has a great range and short game area.

I think $195 for this course is a steal compared to other resort courses these days that earn $250+. It can hold its own with the top resort courses in the country with both scenery and interesting design.

Absolutely Fantastic

This course is unique, fun and views are unbelievable. If you have not played a Coore/Crenshaw course, they design a course that is challenging, but fair. Make sure you pick the correct tees and you will be in for a great, rewarding and fun round of golf.

The staff from beverage cart, to marshals, to club house staff are there to make your day enjoyable and memorable. They are very helpful, informative and willing to do whatever it takes to make your visit great.

The corse is in perfect condition. Does not seem to be a blade of grass out of p,ace. Greens are true and fast. Green complexes are interesting to say the least. Some greens are huge and all seem to fit the type of hole you are playing perfectly. Number of memorable holes. Holes 4, 7, 11 and 12 are just a few that standout. The views over the entire course are amazing. They designed the course along the ridges of the mountains and you seem to be able to see for miles on every hole of the Ozarks.

As per earlier reviews I have done of this course and Buffalo Ridge, Johnny Morris has made it quite clear he is committed to making the Branson area a golf Mecca. As a PGA Professional, I have had the privilege of playing some great courses and resorts throughout the country and these courses rank right up there with any I have played.

Make a trip to Branson. You will not be disappointed. Ozark National is a true gem and I look forward to visiting again soon.

A Missouri Golf Experience unlike any other.

Ozarks National has been well written about already, so I’ll try not to spit out everything you might have already heard, even though I will try to defend a few parts of the golf course that have drawn some criticism. The best compliment I can give the golf course myself is it is a course that you can play differently every time you play it, I don’t think you can ever be bored here. The options of play (especially along the ground) are endless and you can really be creative around the property! I love that. For being such a big property and a “mountain” course, it is very walkable. The overall look of the course is different than the other courses at big cedar. ON truly looks like a place that could host a US Open.
The true gems on the course are holes 4, 8, 9, 10-13, 17, and 18. The other holes are very good as well but these are standout holes in my opinion.
To defend a few critiques on the course, I’ll start with the 7th hole. Many people have a complaint that it isn’t long enough to be a par 5, and so therefore they think it is a bad hole. As a par 5, maybe they are right. But take out the “par” and just look at the hole and the shots it requires to accurately hold that green in two shots, and it is a good hole. The green is in a beautiful setting and is very interesting to play around. Take the hole for what it is and forget the par, I think it is a good hole that way. Next up is hole 15. It’s a blind tee shot on a short hole with a green that isn’t to challenging. The green is probably the most disappointing part of the hole. However, with the land they had to work with on that hole, I actually quite enjoy it. The necklace of bunkers was the only way to make that tee shot interesting without blowing out the hill. Then the bunkers further up the fairway, combined with the slope to the left pinching in actually make you have to think a little off the tee. I think it’s as good of a hole as they could have made in that spot overall. Finally, 17 green gets some flack for not being interesting enough. I find the green to have some subtleties that keep it interesting. Furthermore, when the wind gets up, 17 is interesting enough as is. It’s a pretty hole.
My criticisms of the course are these. The par 5 first hole could really stand for some extra length (as well as 7...for it to be truly a par 5). Then, on holes 14 and 15, I believe the slopes kicking shots off the fairways to the left are a little too punishing and severe. Finally, for such a long and challenging hole, the 16th green seems to be a little small in my opinion.
The pricing of the course I don’t think makes it a great value because I’m not on board with any golf course being around $200 to play....like Buffalo ridge, it is not family friendly to play, even though they try to make it out to be, 5 people playing at $195 is going to be $1000. That’s rough. But, it is an amazing place to play and one worth playing many times. So that does make it a good value I guess.
I truly love this golf course for all its options and intricacies. Play it, and play it again. Keep an open mind when playing and you’ll find this golf course to be very exciting and worthy of all the praise it has received.

Beautiful views, half-baked experience

Should preface this by saying that the day I played was not ideal for golf. It was about 40 deg and breezy when I teed off at @9:15 a.m. and it had rained most of the day before. Still, the course was in very good shape and I have no complaints about the physical conditions or playability. My criticism is mostly for off-course things. First, the day I played, access to the ballyhooed stone house was closed, and there was no drink cart in service. That meant no restrooms, no food, no refreshments of any kind were available after I teed off. Unacceptable for the $150 I paid to play there.
Second, there are no layout maps on the hole markers or the scorecard to help you know where to hit, what to aim for, etc. On a course with as many blind tee shots as this one (at least five), that will no doubt host a majority of first-timer-visitors, that's inexcusable.
Third, course yardage markers were scant and hard-to-find, even on the tee boxes.
Finally, maintenance crew people and vehicles were omnipresent, and they seemed to have little regard for players. Several times they would roll up on a vehicle just before I hit and start talking. On at least three tee boxes they continued with loading, banging, laughing and generally being loud even though I was just a few yards away trying to tee off. Again, unacceptable.
I will wrap up with this caveat: it was the off-season. Perhaps all of these things will be fixed when the weather warms up and more people are playing there. And even on an ugly day, this course is gorgeous, well-kept, and the views are incredible. That alone is almost worth the steep admission price despite all the other problems. Almost.

High winds equal challenging round

We played in 15 to 25 mph winds. Most of the course is on the high ridge on the Ozark mountains. Wonderful layout. Fairways are relatively wide but if you run off, you are in deep do-do. Greens were fast but very fair. It’s a course you need to play few times to know where to hit it. My brother and I enjoyed the day very much.

Best in Missouri

I will keep this review short and sweet. I can’t recommend enough paying the money to play this course. We did a guys golf trip that was 2 rounds at Ozarks National and one round at Buffalo Ridge. This was the second golf trip to Big Cedar in two years. Our first year, Ozarks National wasn’t open yet.

The course was in perfect shape.. it was very difficult to find anything wrong with the conditions. Hats off to the superintendent and Coore and Crenshaw for designing a course that drains so well.

The staff was amazing as with any staff associated with Big Cedar. And don’t worry about the snacks. They have a beautiful snack house.and you don’t spend $195 to play golf based on free snacks.

Bandon in the Ozarks

An incredible links course in the Ozarks. If you could imagine ocean views you would think you were at Bandon Dunes on the Oregon coast. Choose the correct set of tees and you will really enjoy your day. Conditioning is near perfect. Staff is wonderful..

POOR VALUE FOR MONEY

Course is stunning and in great shape (except for thin fairways that will grow in over time), however, for the price ($195) we would much rather play Buffalo Ridge ($135 - just as stunning and also in great shape) right next door. Ozarks National did not provide as many services as Buffalo Ridge for that much higher price.
Though their website says "Enjoy Complimentary On-course Snacks With Your Round" they were out of hot dogs & buns at the turn, out of ice and water at the turn (on a 90 degree day), no beverage cart, no ranger (waited 20 minutes on several tees behind two very slow foursomes), no food or beverage at the clubhouse. We paid for bottled tea and were going to have to pay for chips too but the worker let us have the chips free since there were no dogs/buns.
For the significantly higher price, we just didn't feel it was worth it. We played on Monday, Sept 30, 2019.

Commented on 02/21/2020

100% agree with this

New Ozark National Worth the Trip

Johnny Morris has done it again with a tight shot challenge course and the best views of the Ozarks of any course. Undulating and hilly make it a challenge to think through your shot. Some blind shots to greens add difficulty. Good or bad play you will enjoy the views. Can be a very slow round for high handicappers, and recommend they try Buffalo Ridge which can be more forgiving.

Missouri Advisor

Always in Great Shape!

Fun scoreable track. Always in great shape. I actually got to play as the very first public tee time back in November 2018 on a cold blustery rainy day. I feel as this course is overpriced for the AREA (not for the country)... I believe it IS the cheapest Coore Crenshaw design in the country though.if I'm not mistaken. I still believe Buffalo Ridge is the better of the two local courses and it's $125 vs $200 at Ozark National. Ozark National is definitely a 5 star track though.

Sam Yeager

Dropped the wife at the Spa and enjoyed one of the most scenic courses ever played. Vistas from every hole. Lots of width and big greens but trouble if you hook or slice. Great condition for a young course. Requires a strong tee shot on most holes but not intimidating.
What Johnny Morris is building here is one of the best kept secrets in the golf world. His eye for detail and no budget approach shows the confidence he has that this will become one of the premier golf destinations in the US.
I will be back!

One of the best you can play in the American interior

The team of Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw have built a near-spotless record of quality golf course designs across the world over the last 30 years. Their latest effort upholds the high standards to which they are justifiably held.

Ozarks National is a tremendous complimentary course to Buffalo Ridge Springs. BRS is a modern resort-style course, with lots of eye-candy features and a cart-mandatory layout. ON is a more classic test that is walkable, wide and firmer than its older sibling. The routing meanders along ridgetops and provides spectacular views as well as a high degree of playability, thanks to its grand scale. When the grandeur of it threatens to overwhelm a player, C&C place smaller tests like the par-3 8th and 17th at critical junctures. It is a golf course one would never tire of playing.

Public/Resort