Type Public/Municipal

Year Built 1962
Fairways Kikuyu Grass
Architect William F. Bell (1962) Gil Hanse (2005) Jim Wagner (2005) Bob E. Baldock (1970) Robert L. Baldock (1970)

Carts Yes - $10 - $15

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard, Discover Welcomed

Snacks

Clubhouse, Meeting Facilities, Banquet Facilities

Classic style Gem

As you drive up the course catches your eye and does not fail to keep your interest for the full 18 holes. This is a classic style parkland course, fairly open off the tee, with intriguing hazards by the greens. The greens were the best part, undulating, not-to-quick but challenging. I would gladly play here every week if this was in my county.

Worth the drive

Go ahead and skip the overpriced Ojai Valley Inn and drive a little farther down the road to Soule Park. If you want a better value, friendlier staff and better course conditions in Ojai, Soule Park is the place. Not overly challenging off the tee, but the adventure begins when you reach the large undulating greens. This place has a "locals" feel to it in a good way. Thumbs up!

Great Track

Cannot say enough about Soule Park. It is a beautiful golf course nestled in the valley between sweeping mountains on the north end of Ojai.. Gil Hanse did a masterful job in rebuilding the course in 2006 after the rains seriously damaged the course. You can play every shot in your bag and there isn't a bad golf hole on the course. I prefer Soule park over Ojai in layout and beauty.

Amazing

We went one time on a very busy day and it was a less than favorable experience. But i must say, the staff MADE IT right for us and they have been incredible since then. The course was in really good shape - greens rolling true, fairways are lush, and tee boxes are fair. Pace is slow on a Saturday but that’s to be expected. For the price it doesn’t get better!

Tournament, pace of play not good

Great track, but pace of play terrible. They had a tournament going on for a local football team--great! loved that and loved to see staff hustling to get folks out there and getting carts out to players. No problem, but I would have liked the staff or someone to offer a refund because played 9 holes in 3 hours. Not good. there were at least 5 groups waiting to hit on #5

California Advisor

Soule Park

Walked the Oak tees (6806/72.8/128) with Emilio, Timo and Moses in slightly more than 4H for their $28 morning Sr. rate. Started out chilly/foggy but was calm, bright/clear, around 75 when finishing.

Tees are generally flat and were mowed close, usually decent to play from.

Fairways are semi lush & firm with good coverage.

Rough is thinner, hardpan in spots and not overly tall. In many places there was very little demarcation in being in the fairway or the rough.

Sand traps were very nicely maintained with fine, dark sand.

The combination Bent & Poa Annua greens putted medium fast speed and were firm. The rock rolled great, they would have been excellent "but for" an abnormal amount of ball marks.

The customer service was excellent. Refunded the difference in the online price and the Sr. rate. No on course services with COVID-19. Average difficulty course to walk, not very hilly, no significant elevation changes or long hikes between any holes. The large lake between holes #1 & #10 is full again, which makes for a nice visual. I really like this layout, it fits my eye. Only a few homes nearby, just surrounded by hills and away from things on most holes. Lots of large, mature trees. First time here in 3 years. I would play here often if I lived closer. Recommended.

Classic Gem

The course is under new management since about 2017 and is experiencing what can only be described as a miraculous renaissance. Kieth and his team have methodically and systematically returned this course to its’ former glory and beyond. By far best course and value in the region. Playable but challenging in a beautiful parkland setting with a classic set up. No surrounding houses, views of the Topa Topa mountains, friendly staff, vastly improved practice facility, the list goes on and on, and more improvements are under way at the clubhouse and restaurant too. Great track!

Beautiful

Course is scenic with challenging green complexes. Fun for all levels.

Not What It Was

I used to play this course pretty regularly around 25 years ago. Since then, it has had a makeover/redesign and I believe an ownership change in the last couple of years. Frankly, I’m not a fan of the redesign and some of the “improvements” have made the course less fun. While still a beautiful looking course, I don’t find it a very fun course to play. Since the ownership change, the quality of the bunker sand has improved (there used to be little or no sand in the bunkers) and the greens complexes are now shaved to the point where it is often difficult distinguishing where fairways end and greens begin. If one misses a green, it pretty much reduces the player to putting from off the green as the lies are so tight. Additionally, greens are so quick, in my opinion, it takes a lot of the skill of green reading and putting in general, out of the game. As the course is situated in a valley, some greens are severely pitched from hillside to creek. Hitting a good shot to the middle of a green will likely lead one to a near impossible putt if above the hole. One such green is number 3. My playing partners and I all watched in amazement at putts we barely breathed on trickle past the hole and role out another 20-30 feet. So, if you know that you’re in for a day like this, then fine. I made 2 30 foot putts for birdie in my round that were severely breaking snakes. They were lucky—not a real test of my putting ability. While the pro shop staff was nice and hospitable, the barman left me scratching my head. I had a draft beer at the turn. He immediately forgot what I ordered. I gave him $6 for a $5.50 beer and didn’t even offer to give me my change, but just kept it as a tip. I might have tipped him anyway, but I thought it was cheeky to not even offer me my change. In the final analysis, I probably won’t play here again any time soon, or not until I have heard they have made the greens more puttable. For me, they just aren’t any fun.

Beautiful

Spectacular valley views and great layout. Challenging but not punishing, and reasonably priced. Can't wait to come back!

Soule Park tough to beat

I am familiar with Soule Park. Once one of the better experiences, over the years the recession and drought took its toll on this regional course. Know for it’s iconic views of the mountains surrounding the Ojai Valley, it was a fun course to play. I moved out of Ojai six years ago, and after joining a private club, only ventured up to play with friends in the area.
Over a year ago, Keith Brown, formerly of American Golf, took a chance and took over the lease of the county owned course.
The results of his effort to rejuvenate the course has paid off tremendously. Last week I met up with a few buddies and teed off at 6am. I’m a traditional golfer, 4 hcp, and really enjoy the look and feel of all golf has to offer. It was an iconic round, the beauty of the mountains, combined with the superb condition of the course, made it one of my favorite rounds. Even though I am a member of Saticoy, iconic in its own right, going up and playing Soule Park is truly an exceptional experience. Play has picked up quite a bit here at Soule, as it should. Play Soule Park, it’s fantastic.

California Advisor

Soule Park

Walked the Oak tees (6806/72.8/128) with RGM2525 in slightly more than 4.5 Hours for their $19 twilight rate. The weather was excellent for golf, sunny, fairly calm & around 80.

This is an average difficulty course to walk, not very hilly, no significant elevation changes or long hikes between any holes. The large lake between holes #1 & #10 is almost full again, which makes for a nice visual.

The Poa Annua tees are generally flat and were mowed close, nice to play from.

The fairways are semi lush & firm with good coverage.

The rough is thinner, hardpan in spots and not overly tall. In many places there was very little difference in being in the fairway or the rough.

The sand traps were decently maintained with fine, dark sand.

The combination Bent & Poa Annua greens putted medium speed with a normal amount of ball marks. They are firm, but still held approach shots well & putted nicely once I got the speed down.

The customer service was excellent. No drink cart, but plenty of water stations on the course. I really like this layout, it fits my eye. Only a few homes nearby, just surrounded by hills and away from things on most holes. Recommended, I would play here often "but for" the drive.

Much Improved

After suffering from the drought in past years the fairways are much improved. Poor lies which were common are now rare. The greens are consistent. The only rough spot remaining is the sand traps which need more sand.

Great layout

I play Soule Park every time I get the chance. It's a 90 mile drive for me but always worth it. Friendly staff good food and a beautiful layout. Spread out with some minor elevation changes, tough shots over wide barancas, very tricky, well kept greens and enough sand traps to keep you honest.
Well worth the money even at full rates but there's usually a deal somewhere to lessen the pain.

Nice course lay-out

Soule Park in Ojai used to be one of my favorite courses. It still has some water issues which make it a little too dry. More watering would certainly help on the fairways and greens as well.

Best golfnow value I've seen

I golf on a budget so I'm a fiend for the golfnow hot deals. This course honestly fees like it should be out of my price range.

$12 plus service fee... With a cart... And a very scenic track situated sitting the Ojai valley, which is entertaining even without golf involved.

I've played here on a couple of holiday weekends when it isn't too busy and had a blast; one time brought my grandma out to watch and it was enjoyable for her as well given the scenery.

Girlfriend played along with me most recently; she's a total beginner but had a blast as well as they have like 5 sets of tees.

Ojal

It's was so beautiful place and nice friendly people thank you again.

Ojai, California