2.3

Enger Park Golf Course

Year Built 1991
Fairways Bluegrass
Greens Bluegrass
Architect Rick Phelps (1991)

Course is bouncing back

I’m a local that hasn’t liked playing Enger due to poor course conditions over the past several years. We played today on a hot deal from golf now and hoped the course was in better shape because of the work that has been done to restore fairways and greens. Boy were we pleasantly surprised of how good the course looked on the Front/Middle. Fairways were green and the greens were in excellent condition. I know that the course has struggled since the flooding 9 years back and it’s built basically on a huge rock so the course conditions are to be expected. If you’ve given up on Enger I urge you to get back out there and give them another chance like we did because you won’t be disappointed the course is bouncing back and is in great playing condition.

Commented on 09/17/2020

Thank you so much for your review! We are happy to see you enjoyed our course. We value your feedback, and hope to see you back in the future.

First timer

I thought the course was very fun to play. Had some challenging holes. Especially the few dog leg lefts. Overall, I had a great time with our group of four we had golfing. Staff were also very friendly and willing to talk. The course was a little dry on a couple holes that made for tough shots even in the fairway.

Commented on 09/01/2020

Thank you so much for your review! We are so glad to hear you enjoy our course and wonderful staff. We look forward to having you back in the future.

Fun track!

Very friendly staff. We played the front and middle 9s. They are making really nice changes by upgrading a few fairways each year. Very fun track!

Commented on 08/24/2020

Thank you so much for your 5-star review! We are so glad to hear you enjoy our course and wonderful staff. We look forward to having you back in the future.

Good morning golf

I ended up having a family emergency and had to leave, but really enjoyed getting out today. There was some dry patchy spots, but overall was a good day for golf.

Commented on 08/13/2020

Thank you so much for your 5-star review! We are happy to see you enjoyed our course and hope your family is well. We value your feedback, and hope to see you back in the future.

Enger at a dry time of summer

Overall the course was dry n fat due to the dry condition buts it's always fun to play this course n the views you can't beat!

Commented on 08/07/2020

Enger

Staff was great.the views were great over looking the bay n lake Superior but a few temporary greens needed help.but would play again.. but real dry in our area this year which don't help

Course was rough

Overall, the course was ok. The fairways were absolutely tore up on the front 9. Dry as a bone and three greens were under construction. The middle 9 were better but still a little beat up. The drive carts all worked well.

This course is awful

This course is in serious decline. According to an employee, the city won’t let them water or improve the course. It could be the worst course I have ever been on. Dried out, brown, fairways as rough as a plowed field, greens winter killed on one side (still) and not mowed on the other.

Old boys course

This was my first time playing Enger, and probably will be the last. The staff was very friendly at check in, but when we got to the box for our 1:00 tee time at 12:55, there were still three groups ahead of us waiting to go with no starter to be found. The pace was extremely slow as one of the groups had eight golfers and four kids who weren't golfing. The group behind us kept hitting into us and seemed generally disgusted that there were a couple of non-members playing "their" course.

The course itself was decent, the greens were still pretty shaggy and there were definitely some problem areas on a few of the fairways. The layout was fun though. A few tee boxes made you think twice about grabbing the driver, which is always a fun mental aspect to the game. The par 3s were a nice comfortable distance, none of those 200+ yard par 3s that require a perfectly struck iron.

In the last year this course has improved immensely. This review should be taken with a grain of salt as it just opened and considering the snow we had a few weeks ago, you can't expect the course conditions to be very good for at least the next few weeks. That being said, things were in much better shape than I expected. It was the first weekend of the season so there were a lot of people out, and with 9 holes not opened at the time, and it being twilight golf, things moved a little slowly. I'm sure once the seasons moves forward a bit and the starter gets the hang of things a bit more things will be more smooth. Otherwise I highly recommend this course for golfers of all ages and skill levels, it is challenging but not overly difficult, there is a lot of elevation changes, and some of the best views in town.

Avg cours, great location

Being in the center of Duluth makes Enger very convenient. The course is well maintained but that doesn't change the fact that it's built on a huge rock. The ground is very stiff making iron shots slightly more difficult (at least for me). I usually golf at the cheapest place that golf now offers and it is early Enger. It's a 3 star course with 4 star rates.

Ok but staff needs to figure out now Golf Now works

I play have played this course a lot since it is in my home town. I have always felt it is overpriced for the conditions it is in. It is built on the hills of Duluth and are subjected to harsh winters so it is very challenging to keep the conditions up. It was recently taken over by a private company and is slowly improving. That being said I was not impressed with the staffs friendliness. I went to check in, told them my tee time and said I booked a prepaid online tee time. He proceeded to tell me I owed money for the tee time and that I just paid the fees online. I told hime that it was completely paid online and that there were two types of ways to book through Golf Now. He then told me how thats how it looks but people get confused about that everyday and I really didn't pay. I showed him my confirmation and after speaking with a co worker and then a manager he let me and my partner play without having to pay anything extra. He made it sound like we were still wrong but was doing us a favor since our email said we had paid. I have booked over a dozen rounds through Golf Now and nobody else has had this problem. Even the other course in Duluth, that is run by the same company, does not have this problem. It was a good deal but I'll probably stick to courses where the staff members know what they're doing.

Used to be better maintained...

First off there was not a single spot of grass to hit from on the practice range. Blankets still on several greens, very rutted and patchy fairways. Played here a few years ago and thought it was great. The weather and floods must have really affected this place. Hopefully the course can recover soon.

This course is recovering slowly from severe weather.

This is an older course that experienced some torrential rainfall that caused considerable damage during the spring months and then suffered from an unusually hot and dry summer. With time and effort it could retain some of its original charm... it has some great views of Lake Superior!

Proctor, Minnesota