Mountain View at Callaway Gardens Resort

Mountain View Golf Course At Callaway Gardens
White/Green 72 6132 yards
Green (W) 72 5789 yards 74.0 132
Scorecard for Mountain View
Blue M: 73.5/136 431 546 186 367 421 539 218 408 432 3548 412 508 400 397 212 432 543 178 427 3509 7057
White M: 71.7/131 407 523 166 348 399 520 196 384 402 3345 382 490 379 370 197 413 511 154 389 3285 6630
Green M: 68.2/122 W: 74.0/132 383 412 146 330 273 411 174 360 297 2786 352 462 358 343 182 391 416 130 369 3003 5789
Red W: 69.0/119 276 408 122 252 269 404 128 277 291 2427 258 377 267 264 164 308 412 103 303 2456 4883

Year Built 1963

Commented On 04/17/2017

Thank you for your post and review. We hope you are able to visit and play again soon, or try the other course - the Lake View Course.

Birmingham Advisor

Key to scoring here lies in approach shots, navigating sly greens

The Mountain View Course hosted the PGA Tour's Buick Challenge for 12 years between 1991-2002, and you will see very early in the round that the bones of a Tour-caliber course are still present. Front and center are the greens. The Champion Bermuda putting services are firm and fast. Most approach shots required a few yards of release. I didn't find them particularly grainy, but as the weather continues to warm, that could change as they become a bit denser. The slope in these greens are very subtle, but pins can be put on downslopes and the rollout can make you look silly if you aren't careful. The best example of this was the par-3 17th hole. Though only requiring a 125-yard shot, the green is pitched from back to front, rather severely in the first third. I hit my tee shot about a yard higher than pin-high right, about 15 feet away. I knew the putt was going to swing violently from right to left, but it was hard to match the line with the speed. I'm not sure it could be done! I barely breathed on my putt and it missed low and rolled 15 feet to the front of the green. Bogey City. After holing out, I went back and tried the putt again. This time I missed on the high side but achieved the same result. A third try, hit softly uphill away from the hole, stopped four feet above the hole. I hit a good shot, but did not have enough course knowledge to scrape out a par, and I have no problem with that. My tip? If that pin is in the front third of that green, play short of the green and putt or chip up the slope. The other Tour feature is the large, deep bunkers that burnish grass tongues. The sand quality was excellent. The fairways were wide, even though the fairways are all tree-lined. It is hard to get in trouble off the tee here. Though this was the first day of Spring, the fairways are emerging from dormancy and were a bit thin, but I still found them to be very playable. I imagine that much of this course's defense off the tee lies in the thick Bermuda rough that I suspect can get pretty lush in the heat of Summer. That said, this is a second-shot golf course. Though most greens were of average size, some of them were small - notably the par-5 11th's - and accuracy and distance control is at a premium. Knowing where to land the ball for roll out and where the treacherous slopes are that can carry approaches into collection areas off greens can be tough for a first-timer. I particularly liked the par 3s, especially No. 3. It is among the most fun shots on the course. After the opening hole eases you in, you begin a fabulous stretch with the uphill par-5 second, the aforementioned par-3 third and the short, dogleg-left fourth. The fifth hole is a bit pedestrian but don't sleep on the approach. Miss long or left and you can make a big number. The signature par-5 sixth is next and is beautiful. Another tip: Be aware of how far you are to the hazard in front of the sixth green on your second shot. A blind 3-wood could find it. It is best to favor the left side of the fairway on the second shot, as everything flows down and to the right. My criticism with this track lies merely in the two holes that close the front side. They are rather bland and straight-forward with massive fairways. In conclusion, this is an excellent value on a historic course. Navigating the approach shots and the tricky greens make this course worth playing.

Commented On 04/17/2017

Thank you for your visit and very thoughtful review. We hope you are able to visit again soon, or try the Lake View course.

Commented On 03/06/2017

Thank you for your visit. We are glad to hear that it was a satisfactory visit. We hope you will return and have a 5 star experience.

Commented On 03/06/2017

Thank you for playing at Callaway Gardens and for your kind review. We hope that you can find an opportunity to play again soon.

Georgia Advisor

Best golf resort in georgia

I played here with a friend and played the lake view and the mountain view. This review is the Mountain course. The course was great and customer service was great. The practice facilities where nice and I liked the clubhouse the restraunt was great. And the pace of play was great 3.5 hours. The course was awesome the fairways were very lush and the greens where rolling quick. The rough was very thick and your ball basically just disappeared. My favorite hole was etheir the 8th or the 14th hole. There where a lot of bridges on this course and many lakes, ponds, and streams. I couldn't believe how good the weather was on Thanksgiving 75 degrees. After your 36 holes on lake and mountain view then go to the restraunt up the road that serves Thanksgiving food.

Commented On 03/06/2017

It sounds like you had a great experience outside on the course and inside at the buffet. Thank you for your kind review. We hope you can play here again soon.

This is a great course.

Played the Mountainview Course and it is in excellent condition.

Commented On 10/12/2016

Thank you for your visit and post. We appreciate your kind words and hope that you can return to play soon.

Beautiful challenging course

Great layout.. Must aim for either left or right side of fairway and play the slope. Greens great. Rough was deep and punished you, as it should.

Commented On 10/12/2016

Great comments. We thank you for your visit and post, and hope that you will return again soon.

Fantastic Greens and Fairways with challenging bunkers

Course is in immaculate condition. Greens and fairways are in fantastic shape. They could add some more water on holes as when we played it must have been in the mid to upper 90's, and lots of water was needed. Pro shop is fantastic, and staff were very accommodating.

Commented On 10/12/2016

Thank you for your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed the course despite the temps. We'll share your comments with the pro staff.

Beautiful Course

Course is in excellent shape. My only minor complaint is that I wish there were more yardage markers on the sprinkler heads.

Commented On 10/12/2016

We are glad that you appreciated the course. We hope that you can return soon. We'll share your comments about the yardage markers.

Green Conditions

The greens were in terrible shape! Sandy,dry, missing grass and they had aeration holes throughout.

Commented On 10/12/2016

Thank you for your comments and your visit. We had just aerified resulting in the holes that you saw. The greens are currently perfect. We hope you will come play again soon.

Play condection

Greens and fairways of the state is very good , very satisfied yiyeotda games.

Commented On 10/12/2016

Thank you for your post. We are glad that you enjoyed the course. We hope you can visit and play again soon.

Callaway Gardens Mountain View

Course layout is challenging due to length, some over hanging tress and well guarded greens. Quite a few deep bunkers surround each green and some of the greens were on the small side. Tees in good condition, fairways in good condition and spacious. Greens rolled true and very quick for down hillers. Other than driving it crooked all day my main issue was chipping. Areas around the greens have very tight lies and are damp resulting in either fat duffs or thin runners. Great set of par 3's, two short and two long. Good score can be shot. Can't miss course, would like to play the other side someday it appears linksish from street view driving inn.

Commented On 03/01/2016

Thanks for the great review. We appreciate your taking the time to give a thorough statement. We hope you are able to play again soon.

Fun Resort Course

:00Booked a last minute Sunday morning tee time through GolfNow and had an excellent experience. I teed off at 9:00 and was done by noon. The course was interesting without being too difficult, the weather was great, and I enjoyed myself immensely. A great value!

Commented On 03/01/2016

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience. Please come out again when the opportunity arises. We would appreciate your visit.

Greens and fairways in great shape

Greens and fairways in great shape. Rough is very fair, however there are areas where the ball will sink out of sight. Most of the wooded areas are cleaned with minimum bad areas unless the ball is hit into an area where you would not expect to find it.

Commented On 03/01/2016

Fall is a great time to play our courses. We are glad that you had a great experience. In Decatur, you aren't that far. We hope you'll come try out some Spring golf at Callaway Gardens.

Great course. Greens didn't roll as well as expected

Fantastic layout. Very good condition. Greens didn't roll as true as I expected

Commented On 03/01/2016

We appreciate your post and your business. We hope you'll come try us out again. Thank you.

Excellent conditions on all 36 holes !

I play a lot of golf on many courses. This course was excellent! Best course I've played in years . Layout, condition , staff. HIGHLY recommended. All 36 holes in perfect condition.

Commented On 03/01/2016

Thank you very much for your kind words, rating, and for choosing Callaway Gardens. We hope you are able to play again soon.

Top Notch Golf Course

Very similar to the Pinehurst courses. Enjoyable round of golf on a first class course. Lots of variety and great conditions for midsummer. I think I liked the Lake course a tad better but they were both great.

Commented On 03/01/2016

Thank you for taking the time to post about your playing experience at Callaway Gardens. We hope that you are able to play our courses again if you are in Georgia. We appreciate your business.

Peaceful course

Very nice course. Great customer service. Wonderful practice facility. Generous fairways. Receptive greens. Water is lurking on some holes. I totally enjoyed this course

Commented On 03/01/2016

Thank you for the great course. And, for choosing to play at Callaway Gardens. We hope you'll play here again - maybe try the Lake View course - if you are back in Georgia.

Glad it's back

Was hesitant to come back to Mountain View again. The last few times I have played the greens on the back 9 have been terrible. Winter kill or just plain rot; they were in bad shape for awhile. Got a great deal on the round so decided it was worth the risk. Greens were fine all the way around. Callaway course is always well kept so the sub-par greens were a surprise, the fact that is seemed to last a year was also a surprise. Not to fear now, great to see this classic course back to its fighting weight.

Commented On 03/01/2016

After great difficulty logging in, we are late to say "Thanks!" for the post. We did have some challenges - mostly due to crazy weather - but our team has done a great job and really worked hard on the course. We hope you are in the area and able to play again soon.

PGA quality at Public prices

The course was fantastic and fabulous shape. The driving range was exceptional and will set away from the course for privacy. From the first tee to the 18th the pace of play was about an hour less than expected four hours. It was exciting to play a course that the pros have played on for the Buick invitational in the past. Highly recommended

Pine Mountain, Georgia