Type Public/Municipal
Style Links
Gleneagles Golf Course at McLaren Park

Year Built 1962
Fairways Rye/Kikuyu Grass
Architect Jack Fleming (1962) George Waters (2010)

Terrible condition

Fairway and tee box is in terrible condition. Seems like the course haven’t been maintain on a regular basis . Half of the fairway doesn’t have any grass left. This is the worse course condition that I ever played in and I have played over 500 rounds of golf.

Commented on 08/11/2019

During the summer months we manage Gleneagles to be firm and fast through the greens. We are putting precious water resources where they are most needed, at the greens and surrounds. Thanks for playing and if you are looking for a more green grass, typical American style of golf, you can always visit in the Winter months.

Fun old school layout.
Unfortunately undergoing drought conditions.
Cool little clubhouse filled with old memorabilia.
Friendly and helpful staff.

Commented on 08/11/2019

Thanks for your great comments. Small independent courses like ours rely on golfers like you having a great experience.

1st time here

I have been wanting to play Gleneagles for awhile as I try to knockout all SF courses. Although a bit shaggy and rough around the edges, I had a delightful time. Had the course to myself on a Monday afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed the challenging layout couple with the firm and fast and windy conditions. The pro shop/bar was an absolute delight and might be one of my new favorite 19th holes.

Course needs a little money because the love of the place is there. A must play for any SF public golfer.

Commented on 08/11/2019

Thanks for making the trip into The City to play Gleneagles! We are stoked when golfers enjoy the friendly confines as much as we do. If you want to find a "skins game" (Wed, Fri, Sat and Sun) just call 415-587-2425 and our starters will hook you into the local games-just another level of the experience out here for golfers like yourself.

Commented on 08/11/2019

Thanks for the 4 STAR review!

Perfect family outing

My two daughters, wife, and I played here yesterday. Extremely reasonable rates. It was our first play here (we work in the City 20 years+, shame...) The course was wet due to extended rainy weather, and spring has come with usual annoying white tiny flowers for golfers. I played at some courses around the Bay Area recently, but this course is doing its best. People here are accommodating, and rooted in San Francisco. They are doing their best here. There are limited Muni golf courses in San Francisco, where you can hit your driver. My family will visit here again for sure. We wish lucrative IT businesses in downtown SF pitch in to maintain this property. As to this course's existing reviews, we should find out how much they paid per person.

IMy family truly enjoyed our play and visit this property, and we will visit again. The fees are extremely reasonable.

Good lenght 9 holes course

This a good full lenght 9 holes course. Has good lenght par 5s and par 4s . Greens are well maintained but fairways have long grass & white flowers that makes looking for the ball challenging. Lost 2 balls that landed in the middle of the fairway!

Expected more

I came in with tempered expectations, reading other reviews and seeing the ratings, but some people swear by this place. There is some charm and I can see why people are nostalgic about the place, but unless you hit the ball extremely straight it's a lot of looking for golf balls and walking up and down hills. Frankly, I expected more.

Love this course

It is a small course, but it is a little hidden gem. I hate Being chased from one hole to the next. Today I was Teaching a friend to play and we only had to let one person play through. I highly Recommend the course if you’re just wanting to have a practice play at a cheap price

Commented on 09/21/2018

Thanks for the BIG 5 STARS! Some people get Gleneagles and others don't. It's always been that way as it cater to a slightly different golfer. One thing is for sure, there is nothing else like it in golf.

Commented on 09/21/2018

Sorry you didn't have a good experience, see above for more details.

Good value 9 hole course

This course is difficult because of the rough condition, but what can you expect for an old city muni.? Still good vcalue just to play a round to practice.

Commented on 09/21/2018

You nailed it. We are trying to keep an old muni alive in San Francisco. The architect Jack Fleming was a foreman for Dr. Alister Mackenzie and Mr. Hunter at Cypress Point. He learned from the masters how to shape a special golf course. 33 years later his first design was GLENEAGLES GC.

Nice little 9 hole course

The course is flat or downhill for the first 4 holes then its up hill from there. Its a lot of exercise to walk this course.

The best hole on the course is the 6th hole par 5.
its wide and has a sharp left turn that turns uphill. which gives a nice view in the fog that makes me think im in another place and not a budget golfcourse bordering on the projects.

its 10 minutes from my house. i will be golfing here often i bet.

Commented on 09/21/2018

So very glad you made the trip to try something so totally different in the golf world, We are unique, nothing quite like us out there and thanks for the great review.

Commented on 09/22/2018

Some golfers don't get us but that's fine we aren't for everyone. Jack Fleming designed the toughest 9-holer in the country. So tough we recommend you wear blue jeans.

Fun, tricky local course

Walked the "front" 9 on 1/28/17, a week after a month or two of steady rain. I heard bad things about the conditions here during last years drought - but since they started watering last yr and the recent rains, the fairways and greens are in good shape (with the except of a couple greens). Hopefully they can maintain this grass condition through the season, or possibly get even better?

Overall, great cpl hrs on a fun course. The real gem here is the price, course layout/views, and character. For a round that's <$25 with as much variety as this has, you can bet I'll be back a handful of times when I want a quick, cheap, challenging round of golf.

3.5/5 given all things considered, I'd recommend it to a friend but this is a polarizing course - some may find it too tricky, others may find it too "run down". I personally loved the unique combination of traits.

Commented on 09/21/2018

The historic drought of 2011-2016 was really tough on us. BUT it's over and the golf course looks great. We are happy we survived, mostly due to a steady and strong local following. Thanks for the great review.

Gleneagles 8/8/2016

Another casualty of San francisco's blanket drought watering policy. Barren wasteland fairways. More sand on cart paths than in the bunkers. Difficult layout. when I started at 11:00 am I was the only player in the course. Quite hilly. Great potential if only they would water more.

Commented on 09/21/2018

Old comment during the HISTORIC DROUGHT which nearly closed this course.

Why bother

Worst course I have seen. The word "challenging" should apply to complex holes, not a totally run down course. Does not appear they even attempt to water large portions of the fairways. Most greens are barely playable because they are so chopped up. I don't think many courses would tolerate practice greens in this condition. There was probably one ball washer on the entire course. Tees were poorly marked. No one cares. All courses are challenged by the water shortage. But this place has mostly thrown in the towel. There must be a condo development plan in the works.

Obviously, not a fan.

Local Vibe

I found this course challenging and enjoyable. The fairways are on the narrow side, so you really need to focus. The conditions were muddy but that's okay because we need the rain.
As for the "club house". The second we step foot in there, I felt extremely welcome. It gave me the same warm feeling you get at a ski lodge; social, chatty, comfortable. It's a Cheers bar; where everyone knows your name. We liked this vibe so much that we joined as members the second time we played. (Only $120/yr).

Commented on 09/21/2018

Yes! We are a local's course but happy when new golfers venture out to try something so different from other golf courses. Lee Trevino was humbled in the 80's when he tried to break the course record of 69. His first round he shot a 71, then after he got to know the course a little he fired a 73. True story.

This is a Neighborhood Track

In maybe the roughest part of the city, so perhaps a little intimidating to some driving in haha (myself included :) but once you're out there on the course you'll be fine. They don't have much of a budget for water, as the city upped the water bill by 40% a year ago ---- So the only part of the holes that get any real love are the greens for the most part, which are in good shape surprisingly (fast, hard packed).

If we get some rain, this place will be a GEM - believe me! But to be frank, I'd say until then, you might want to find alternatives unless you're ok with hitting off a hard pan.

I REALLY WANT TO EMPHASIZE that this course has all the potential in the world though. If we get some rain, you NEED to try this place out, I'm telling ya! If we get some rain this winter (PLEASE GOD) you bet I'll be back to play this course for four reasons:

1) Fair Price
2) Above Average Greens
3) Some Really Nice Dog Leg/Hole Setups
4) Good Challenge/Exercise

Commented on 09/21/2018

HISTORIC DROUGHT CONDITIONS. REVIEW OUTDATED. VERY.

It was like hitting off concrete

First of all golf now said I was buying 18 but it was actually 9 so that's on golf now but they let me play 18 anyway. The course conditions were the worst I ever played on. The "fairway" is hard dirt with some grass which somehow grows here and there. It is a shame I hear it used to be a nice course.

Commented on 09/21/2018

HISTORIC DROUGHT CONDITIONS. OUTDATED REVIEW.

Daly City, California