Gleneagles Golf Course at McLaren Park

Handicap 5 11 9 15 13 1 3 17 7
Par 4 4 4 3 4 5 4 3 5 36 72

Year Built 1962
Fairways Rye/Kikuyu Grass
Architect Jack Fleming (1962) George Waters (2010)

Carts Yes - $12.00

Expected more

I came in with tempered expectations, reading other reviews and seeing the ratings, but some people swear by this place. There is some charm and I can see why people are nostalgic about the place, but unless you hit the ball extremely straight it's a lot of looking for golf balls and walking up and down hills. Frankly, I expected more.

Love this course

It is a small course, but it is a little hidden gem. I hate Being chased from one hole to the next. Today I was Teaching a friend to play and we only had to let one person play through. I highly Recommend the course if you’re just wanting to have a practice play at a cheap price

Commented On 09/22/2018

Thanks for the BIG 5 STARS! Some people get Gleneagles and others don't. It's always been that way as it cater to a slightly different golfer. One thing is for sure, there is nothing else like it in golf.

Commented On 09/22/2018

Sorry you didn't have a good experience, see above for more details.

Good value 9 hole course

This course is difficult because of the rough condition, but what can you expect for an old city muni.? Still good vcalue just to play a round to practice.

Commented On 09/22/2018

You nailed it. We are trying to keep an old muni alive in San Francisco. The architect Jack Fleming was a foreman for Dr. Alister Mackenzie and Mr. Hunter at Cypress Point. He learned from the masters how to shape a special golf course. 33 years later his first design was GLENEAGLES GC.

Nice little 9 hole course

The course is flat or downhill for the first 4 holes then its up hill from there. Its a lot of exercise to walk this course.

The best hole on the course is the 6th hole par 5.

its wide and has a sharp left turn that turns uphill. which gives a nice view in the fog that makes me think im in another place and not a budget golfcourse bordering on the projects.

its 10 minutes from my house. i will be golfing here often i bet.

Commented On 09/22/2018

So very glad you made the trip to try something so totally different in the golf world, We are unique, nothing quite like us out there and thanks for the great review.

Commented On 09/22/2018

Some golfers don't get us but that's fine we aren't for everyone. Jack Fleming designed the toughest 9-holer in the country. So tough we recommend you wear blue jeans.

Fun, tricky local course

Walked the "front" 9 on 1/28/17, a week after a month or two of steady rain. I heard bad things about the conditions here during last years drought - but since they started watering last yr and the recent rains, the fairways and greens are in good shape (with the except of a couple greens). Hopefully they can maintain this grass condition through the season, or possibly get even better?

Overall, great cpl hrs on a fun course. The real gem here is the price, course layout/views, and character. For a round that's <$25 with as much variety as this has, you can bet I'll be back a handful of times when I want a quick, cheap, challenging round of golf.

3.5/5 given all things considered, I'd recommend it to a friend but this is a polarizing course - some may find it too tricky, others may find it too "run down". I personally loved the unique combination of traits.

Commented On 09/22/2018

The historic drought of 2011-2016 was really tough on us. BUT it's over and the golf course looks great. We are happy we survived, mostly due to a steady and strong local following. Thanks for the great review.

Gleneagles 8/8/2016

Another casualty of San francisco's blanket drought watering policy. Barren wasteland fairways. More sand on cart paths than in the bunkers. Difficult layout. when I started at 11:00 am I was the only player in the course. Quite hilly. Great potential if only they would water more.

Commented On 09/22/2018

Old comment during the HISTORIC DROUGHT which nearly closed this course.

Why bother

Worst course I have seen. The word "challenging" should apply to complex holes, not a totally run down course. Does not appear they even attempt to water large portions of the fairways. Most greens are barely playable because they are so chopped up. I don't think many courses would tolerate practice greens in this condition. There was probably one ball washer on the entire course. Tees were poorly marked. No one cares. All courses are challenged by the water shortage. But this place has mostly thrown in the towel. There must be a condo development plan in the works.

Obviously, not a fan.

Local Vibe

I found this course challenging and enjoyable. The fairways are on the narrow side, so you really need to focus. The conditions were muddy but that's okay because we need the rain. As for the "club house". The second we step foot in there, I felt extremely welcome. It gave me the same warm feeling you get at a ski lodge; social, chatty, comfortable. It's a Cheers bar; where everyone knows your name. We liked this vibe so much that we joined as members the second time we played. (Only $120/yr).

Commented On 09/22/2018

Yes! We are a local's course but happy when new golfers venture out to try something so different from other golf courses. Lee Trevino was humbled in the 80's when he tried to break the course record of 69. His first round he shot a 71, then after he got to know the course a little he fired a 73. True story.

This is a Neighborhood Track

In maybe the roughest part of the city, so perhaps a little intimidating to some driving in haha (myself included :) but once you're out there on the course you'll be fine. They don't have much of a budget for water, as the city upped the water bill by 40% a year ago ---- So the only part of the holes that get any real love are the greens for the most part, which are in good shape surprisingly (fast, hard packed). If we get some rain, this place will be a GEM - believe me! But to be frank, I'd say until then, you might want to find alternatives unless you're ok with hitting off a hard pan. I REALLY WANT TO EMPHASIZE that this course has all the potential in the world though. If we get some rain, you NEED to try this place out, I'm telling ya! If we get some rain this winter (PLEASE GOD) you bet I'll be back to play this course for four reasons: 1) Fair Price 2) Above Average Greens 3) Some Really Nice Dog Leg/Hole Setups 4) Good Challenge/Exercise

Commented On 09/22/2018

HISTORIC DROUGHT CONDITIONS. REVIEW OUTDATED. VERY.

It was like hitting off concrete

First of all golf now said I was buying 18 but it was actually 9 so that's on golf now but they let me play 18 anyway. The course conditions were the worst I ever played on. The "fairway" is hard dirt with some grass which somehow grows here and there. It is a shame I hear it used to be a nice course.

Commented On 09/22/2018

HISTORIC DROUGHT CONDITIONS. OUTDATED REVIEW.

No Tee Times

Booked a tee time only to show up and be told that I couldn't go out on the course for 2 hours because a "tournament" was in progress. The course appeared to be relatively empty at this time.

Commented On 09/22/2018

This is one of the quirks of Gleneagles. We are FIRST COME FIRST SERVED. You can make a tee time online but that's merely a suggested start time. Seriously we get people out very quickly on weekdays but on weekends you may want to call ahead 415-587-2425. If you wait, take in the Bay vistas and our old world hospitality.

nice lil hide away

Fairways were mushy and kind of beat up, but greens were very nice. Tricky lil locals 9 hole coarse, don't think I'd be in any hurry to return though.

Commented On 09/22/2018

We call it the speakeasy of golf courses, if you can find it, you can play.

Humility

I play this course every once in awhile because it's so difficult. I am happy if I get 1 par. Then, when I play Another course, I feel I am better. It's a real litmus test. Thanks to the rains, there's a lot of grass once again. It's hilly , so you get exercise.

Commented On 09/22/2018

So difficult we stopped building after nine holes. A golf course like no other.

Commented On 09/22/2018

Lee Trevino was humbled here. As locals will tell the tale with joyous rapture in their voices. It takes a lot to tame this course, Mr. Trevino is welcomed back any time. We are grateful he played and called it the toughest muni he ever played.

best shape in many years..

Its pretty clear that the previous neg. reviews have issues with staff or the operator. The course is in really good shape, better than its been for quite sometime. There is a huge benefit to course knowledge, if your a first timer your in trouble unless your playing with regulars. The group in front of us hit two-three times at each tee. The course is hard, get over it or play some other wide open flat course.. like Flemming. Easy to get on, rarely do you have to wait or need a tee time to play. GlenEagle is a great course for above average players.

Commented On 09/22/2018

The drought was rough but we are still here and looking better than ever. Thank you!

Summary

The course: The staff and regulars here won't waste any time letting you know how difficult it is. Unfortunately, the overall conditions are poor. Obviously the drought has much to do with it but that is the reality of the situation for many courses which have been able to handle it. Staff friendliness: The staff and regulars should let go of this weird Gleneagles aura/complex they've built up over the years. Price: I'd rather pay $38 for 18 holes on a real course than $19 for 9 holes. Recommendation: I'd recommend it as a novelty experience. See if you get the same experience that many people get when they try it for the first time. Like having trouble finding the place or trying to figure out where the "proshop" is. Listen for someone blabbing about how difficult the course is or asking if you brought enough balls. Then, as you watch your first tee shot disappear into the thick tree line, ask yourself the same question.

This is a course is a total disaster

Never in my life have I played on a worse golf course. There were sand traps that were growing weeds all the way across, various locations on the course where you could step into a hole many feet deep and break leg, and they even had soccer/golf set up on many holes to add insult to possible injury. There is absolutely no real maintenance of this course visible anywhere, and with the drought... it was a disaster. We were stunned that such a beautiful setting could offer such a terrible course.

OUTDATED REVIEW--HISTORIC DROUGHT.

Decent track, fun but only for the advanced golfer

Locals here have some sort of complex but once you get past that nonsense( I have experienced on many occasions), pretty fun track with decently conditioned greens and inconsistent fairways. Don't even ask about the bunkers but then again, they are a hazard so don't put your ball in them. I heard some banter about how they are attempting the Bandon/Doak minimalist concept here(dried out/unconditioned areas) but when your course is located on the side of a hill like this one is, that concept is unemployable. Give this course a shot but temper your expectations.

dancefloor
Commented On 12/03/2015

Nothing like it anywhere, at least in the US. I had a thirty foot putt that broke twenty feet, no exaggeration. Twice in our group guys putted off the green they were that fast. There's a significant effort underway to remove several decades worth of debris from the trees that crowd the fairways. With a wet winter this track will be one of the gems in the Bay Area.

Colma, California