San Jose Municipal Golf Course

Orange (W) 72 4200 yards 63.6 100

"Average Course"

Mitch47's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/19/2018

I’m a very good weekend golfer. I practice a lot and usually play on weekends. This course is at best below average. Pace of play was slow but there was never a back up. Just slow walking groups. Fairways were just barely average to play. Tee boxes are lumpy and uneven Old and worn out and need to be redone as I had to tee up Very carefully on almost all of the tee boxes to make sure I was not getting an uneven downhill slope with my driver in my hands.

The greens were not in good shape. EXTREMELY BUMPY!!! Very slow!!!! A lot of unrepaired divots from many previous players, (I repaired 2 or 3 extra divots on every hole during my round just to clean up and help others). When putting - ALL putts the ball wondered off off my intended putting line!!! The holes were cut poorly and ALL looked like a volcano at the hole. Obviously didn’t roll the hole flat after cutting the hole. Putts would turn at the hole because of the big slopes around the hole because of the poor maintenance when the hole cut and pulled!!!!

I got what I expected when I played at San Jose Municipal golf course. Very nice staff!!!!! Below average OLDER course maintained to be just playable fairways with TERRIBLE GREENS!!!!

I played very well and shot a 78, my irons were very good (13 of 18 greens) but I missed many putts that HOPPED offline or turned at the hole as the ball was going in the cup.

I’m a very good weekend golfer and I practice many hours a week and I want to play on greens that are well kept!!! These are not well kept.

You definitely need to shoot good irons into the greens so that you can have short putts to keep your score low. Long lag putts are extremely difficult to gauge and at best your just looking to get your two putt and get on to the next hole.

Very poorly kept Greens!!! Bent grass greens need to be cut shorter and holes need to be rolled after cutting and placing them each day.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/01/2018

"Friendly showers on the course"

OC7720's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/03/2018

I checked in and around 4 on my two time was at 4 we played about 11 holes even though it poured sparingly in the beginning I got to say I had a good time and the bartender I forget her name but she was very nice and pleasant because she even stayed a little late so I can get my beverages. From the last time I been there I got turned off by an incident that happened at the front desk but playing there again made it all worth it so I will say this so I would recommend it if you're just looking to play and don't mind if you hit it why because it's easy to find your ball and it's always Pleasant to play at San Jose Muni

"Great winter conditions"

TwilightRates's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/06/2016
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Poor weather

First time playing here. Played twilight so zero crowds.

The practice facility is awesome. Two teirs. Only trackman in south bay (from what I hear, but I know golfsmith in San Jose has them too). The pro shop is pretty well stocked for just a golf course pro shop, but when you have mega stores like Golfsmith just a 10 min drive away I don't know why you'd come here for clubs unless you are either getting a discount or you need to buy one for your round.

The restaurant staff was very friendly. The Turkey Chili behind the bar was amazing. I had two servings. And I don't like chili if that means anything.

For a rainy day and during a drought year the course was in much better condition than other courses in the area. There were plenty of puddles on the fairway but that just means there's good undulations in the fairway and its not as "flat" as other muni courses. The greens are well kept.

Bottom line if you can get a twilight rate this course is well worth it. I hear the course charges in the 60's for weekend peak hours. To be honest, that's a bit much for a municipal course. That being said, this course is miles better than other municipal courses in terms of staff friendliness, pro shop stock, course condition and layout, and practice facilities. They could name this course a fancy name and totally get away with it. Long story short, this course is worth the money even on peak hours. Other than the name itself, its anything but a municipal course.

I'll be back here soon.

"Flat track muni"

Dave1236355's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/12/2015

Course is in decent shape and gets tons of play. Play is slow and course isn't worth the wait. It gets play because there isn't much around this area. There isn't a memorable hole on the course. I get invited to a tournament here every year and am always discouraged from returning. If you want to shoot a score way below your handicap, this is the place for you.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Nice, Fairway Friendly"

Gary4641743's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/13/2012

This is a nice course, set up well for both novice, and experienced golfers. Most hole have a reasonable amount of fairway to work in, and usually you would get into too much trouble with an errant shot. Maintained fairly well, no major issues. A fun course to play, nothing too special, but a good experience every time out!