Buena Vista Golf Course

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Great for locals   Challenges include elevation changes

"tipical california mid priced course"

norienin's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/08/2016

tipical california mid priced course. Course laid out to preserve and make best use of the water available while trying to keep cost down. (they did a good job) Many bare spots off the fairway but like I say if you don't like the bare spots (or rough) don't hit it there.

Pleasant day and friendly staff.

"Good Course to break up the Drive"

Alex326's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/16/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather

I played on a Wednesday afternoon in November so pace of play was super fast. Only had one walker in front of me who let me through without any issues. I was traveling from Nor Cal to LA and got tied up a work so I was late for my tee time. Staff was super friendly and accommodating.

Clubhouse is nothing to write home about, but what is a genuine surprise is the great food selection!!!

Course itself is a little above average. Greens were fine and average speed (a little slower than preferred).

Some of the Tee boxes needed re-leveling.

Overall it was a fun course out in the middle of nowhere that helped break up the drive.

"Golf/Football Trip"

EscapeRisk's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/14/2016

Stopped by this course on the way to the Raiders football game from Las Vegas. The course setup is basic with only a few blind shots to very receptive greens that were soft but well manicured. Overall a nice layout that led to some low scores for everyone playing. The price was very reasonable for the round of golf we were looking for and the staff were very nice. Being that there are not too many courses in the area, the golf course was a pleasant stop along our way to Oakland. Highly recommended if you're not looking to tax yourself too much.

"Great Pace of Play"

Rudy1009209's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/05/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

There is nothing better than great pace of play along with great golf course conditions. The weather was absolutely great and allowed my to enjoy a great paced round. I always enjoy Buena Vista because it offers the correct combination of easy and difficult holes.

"No Etiquette"

Mark9431722's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/31/2016

On the day that I played this course as well as plenty of other times that I've been out at Buena Vista there is no Marshall. You get no help from the Pro Shop when you call in about slow people. But then you look at it the people at the pro shop are the ones that put five and six people in a group and send them out to play. There are good golfers out there but there are also hacks out there who just won't move out of the way, they tear up the greens while putting.

"Good deal for what you pay"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/20/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

I look at golf courses a couple different ways, I take into account what I have to pay and time of year factored in. It is winter in California so most public courses will have dormant fairways, mostly brown, I don't complain about it this time of year, it is what it is. Also I go in hoping to get what I paid for. I won't complain about a course I pay 20 or 30 bucks to play as much as I would gripe about paying 75 to 100 to play, I just want value for what I pay.

I play BV 3 or 4 times a month in the winter maybe 6-8 times a month in spring, summer, fall. This is the best of the three county courses in the Bakersfield area. The fairways are in decent shape for the time of year, and the greens are in the same good smooth shape as summer time. I enjoy playing here, most of the greens are bigger than the other public courses and just getting on the green isn't good enough, you can have a lot of very long putts if your wedge play isnt sharp.

3 of the 4 par 3's are very short, 115 up to 145 from the white tees. The first par 3 plays about 170. Bogey is ok on the first one, the green is huge and very fast if you dont stay below the hole, the other 3 are easy pars. Most of the par 4's are long close to over over 400 yards except 13 and 16 which play much shorter.

You have to hit your shots all the way to the greens on the fly, the grass around the greens just kills your ball is you land short, not many lucky holy roller shots here.

Pace of play during the week is very good, I have a lot of 3 to 3.5 hour rounds. On the weekends it is busy and you can expect 4 to 4.5 hour rounds if you play early Saturday or Sunday mornings. I try to go out around 11 or so on weekends and then there arent as many 4somes or 5somes so it moves pretty good.

Snack bar is decent, prices are ok, call ahead from maybe hole 7 or before you start 8 or you will be waiting for your food at the turn and lose your place.

The staff is very nice except for Finn, he can get a little grumpy (just kidding Joe).

In summary BV gives you full value for what you play, it is not a country club condition type course, but there is no better public course in the area and I always enjoy playing it.

"Great course m, great staff"

Momentum34's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/21/2015

Alan and Chad, the golf pro brothers, have a great course and staff. Always enjoy the course!- Mike Olejnik

"Gotta Love BV"

James8450953's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/12/2015

Affordable and fun. A moderate course that seems to be the nemesis for my rounds of golf. Fun as always..enjoy the challenge.

"Great course"

Sakibomber's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/17/2015

Can't complain, this is a beautiful course that challenges you to play the right clubs. Beautiful greens and great fairways. We will be playing here again soon

"windy day"

Mark9431722's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/12/2015

the course was in OK condition the day I played. not many people there it was a little bit windy so pace was really good. The carts are getting old and a little raggedy. There was no marshal to help with the idiots.

"Great experience!"

Pauly7914474's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/10/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

BV always delivers - great GN rate, nice proshop, 9 dollar pitchers of suds, lots of hills and views and shade - and great greens! Only issue is the terrible drinking fountains and the money stealing soda machines on the course - get a bar cart, BV!

"Muni course."

riasillo's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/07/2015

Greens are decent. Windy as heck day I played. Typical muni fairways. For $25 on GN it's a cheap day out. I probably would not play there again but I was in Bakersfield with some time to kill and aside from private probably not much else top tier near by. I dont know the area. I asked at the local driving range and they recommended the course.

"traffic jam"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/16/2015

can you believe 7some play front of us???<br/> Greens so terrible. I dont want to go there again...

"A hilly challenge, lots of elevation changes."

gnolasco's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/01/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Surprisingly un busy Super Bowl sunday golf at 11am. Played in 3.5 hrs! Usually takes 4.5. Got a really great deal! Had some burgers afterward, unfortunately they were quite WELL done, rather burnt really. Course was in fair condition for winter play. Thanks to global warming it was 70 that day, can't complain.

"slow play"

Cinderella44's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/31/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather Verified Purchaser

Teed off about 30 minutes behind schedule and a 5 hour round of golf. Good thing we got a good price on golfnow

Commented on 06/11/2016

I believe this because on 5/31/16 1 hour and 10 minutes into a round I was on the 4th hole and when I complained about the 5somes I was told there is no marshal. I was then told that I could jump 2 holes ahead. I ended up leaving with no compensation. It would have been nice to have a raincheck!

"BV always solid"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/16/2014

Course is better than other minis in the area. The greens were good except a couple had been recently punched and sanded. Fairways ok, thin in a few places overall ok for this time of year. Paid $25 on Sunday with gn.com saving $12 off normal weekend rate. For the price it was a very good deal. Tee'd. off 11:00 finished at 2:30. I play here often at regular price so the discount is great.

Quality of food & beverage: Fair

"First time app user"

Brian4510461's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/15/2014

I booked my tee time, showed up. and there was no hassle, Definitely will use this app. Again

"Pleasantly surprised"

CenCalHack's avatar
San Francisco Advisor

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/25/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Wanted to add this course to the list so we made reservations on golfnow for a good rate on a midday time Saturday. The course conditions and the elevation changes were both unexpected and welcomed.

Pace - 4, 4hrs on a weekend midday, wish that were the case for every course on a weekend

Course conditions - 3, large undulating greens mostly smooth with medium speed, drought evident in a few areas in the fairways, tees green with a few unleveled/chewed up areas, bunkers looked ok but no one was in one

Staff - 3, my partner said the starter barely grunted but the grill staff was friendly

Value - 4, off the rack is good and the golfnow deal was very good

Food - 3, basic and inexpensive

Facilities - 1, aging and the clubhouse restroom was a disaster, many courses have older facilities but the lack of upkeep/cleaning is something inexcusable and easily changed

On the surface this course appears to be quite easy and wide open. There are two aspects that add to the challenge. First, the Kikuyu grass and elevation changes make the course play longer than the card. Second, when the wind blows (it was minimal for us) you can see the reason the course was designed with so much room off the tees. A local in our group told us the wind gets strong quite often.

I would play here regularly if it were closer to me. The elevation changes, the variety of holes, the challenge of the Kikuyu, the challenge of the large greens, and the pricing all make this course enjoyable.

"first time"

cowboys724's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/04/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

The course has a challenge for everyone Hole1 is something speical. would play this course again

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Can be a bear in the wind."

telrod11's avatar
Atlanta Advisor

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/24/2014
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather Verified Purchaser

Surprised to see water in a really dry area, but they have done a good job keeping everything up with this drought.<br/> Greens were really good. . Fairways were totally acceptable. .<br/> Listen, this isn't a country club, so if you know that coming in, its not bad at all....