Kona Country Club - Mountain Course

This golf course is closed for business. Not true? Let us know.
Looking for other options nearby?

Editor's Note: Course closed for business. See Kona Country Club's listing for the remaining 18 holes.
Championship 72 6494 yards 72.9 135
Middle 72 5917 yards 70.0 130
Middle (W) 71 5917 yards 74.9 130
Senior 72 4886 yards 65.1 119
Women 71 4886 yards 69.1 116
Scorecard for Mountain
White M: 72.9/135 374 450 197 534 181 492 446 213 432 3319 466 373 334 509 179 401 420 209 424 3315 6634
Blue M: 70.0/130 342 422 177 425 148 435 373 178 399 2899 448 350 303 491 167 385 355 172 406 3077 5976
Red W: 69.0/116 276 409 124 400 97 382 305 165 334 2492 395 286 230 426 125 320 311 110 343 2546 5038

Year Built 1985

Big island golf

Great course, see both mountains and ocean, good enough of a breeze to keep you cool. Great value if you play two rounds in one day. Course was in good condition. Our Cart was line for some brake work. Had a good time.

Not up to par

We played this course on previous visits to the big island and were very favorably impressed. This time, not so much. My primary issue was that the greens had been recently punched and sanded and were quite slow and difficult to read. We were not told about the maintenance when we called for a tee time, and the course did not offer a discount for the conditions. The standard rate was $180.00. We paid $125.00 by booking online. We had some trouble with the booking site so we called for a tee time, but they said they could not honor the online rate unless we booked online--which eventually we were able to get to work. I definitely would not pay $180 to play this course in its current condition. Also, although no fault of the club, the air quality index from the VOG was fairly high the day we played. it did not impact our play, the vistas just were not as attractive on our prior visits. I recommend this course, but I suggest you ask about course maintenance and give the course a good 60 days to recover from any significant maintenance.

If you are considering a trip to the big island during the current volcanic activity, look for accommodations north of Waikoloa on the west side of the island. We stayed in Mauna Kea resort, and we had only one day where the VOG affected us. We typically, stay at Hualalai, but that has been affected by the VOG as well. Even Waikoloa and Mauna Lani had more frequent issues with the VOG than we did at Mauna Kea.

Kona Country Club a Delight

Enjoyed playing this course. We did not take advantage of the onsite restaurant and bar.

Course was in great shape! Would definitely play it again!

Beautiful golf experience on the ocean

Pleasantly surprised by Kona CC, played March 2018. Upon landing we headed straight over and they were very flexible with letting us have lunch first and pushing back our tee time 30 minutes. Hit some slower players on the front 9 but it was Good Friday and lots of golfers out that day. Back 9 opened up just fine. The ocean holes are fantastic, off the charts, better than pictures could make it look. 2nd green, 3rd hole are just amazing spots. More ocean on the back 9, beautiful par 3 and set of 2 par 4's. Layout is challenging and fair, not extreme deep bunkering or trouble all over, good amount of space to drive the ball before finding trouble. Greens were slower than expected, all bermuda and quite grainy but they were very slow for our taste. Only complaint would be they require carts to come in at 6:00pm while there's 30 mins of daylight left so we couldn't play 17 or 18 as we hit the 6:00 mark on 16 green and a marshal asked us to pack it in. 18 looks like an epic finishing hole. But, that's just because we teed off at 230 so if you can get out earlier that solves that problem. Otherwise Staff was great, restaurant has great food and amazing view, practice areas are cool (we came back and practiced during our vacation). Super fun track, chill environment, inspiring ocean front holes, very playable. I hope to play it again when I go back.

All good but the greens

First time playing this since they completed the renovation and the course is about as pretty as I've ever seen it. I've always liked the design - there is a little bit of everything here, and the coastal holes are beautiful. Only issue was the greens. I'm not a fan of bermuda in the first place, but when they are kept this long and have so much grain, it becomes almost unplayable. A couple of putts were like shag carpet - must have been 10 times I smashed the ball hard and still came up short. Roll the greens out to be faster and you have a real gem here.

We enjoyed the course but I would NEVER pay the full price to play here. Definitely is not worth $180!! We payed $110 which for this course is plenty. Pace was a little slow. Nice views from some of the holes.

Great Seaside golf value

I last played this course 5 years ago. This time the course was in better shape. Helpful Pro shop staff. Excellent service from the Starter/cart staff. I will come back and also recommend the experience to others. Thanks KCC!

Kona Beauty

This was a very nice course. Every hole is unique and the course was manicured nicely. The greens were a little slow for my liking but they still rolled smooth. When you play, make sure you have a camera because there are a lot of photo worthy holes.

Beautiful Scenery

Beautiful course, ocean holes were fantastic. Greens were pretty fuzzy and slow compared to other courses I played on the island. Definitely a different feel from the courses north of Kona.

Beautiful course, a pleasure to play.

Beautiful beautiful golf course in very good shape. Not mown tightly and greens aren't quick by any means but they are consistent (really have to pay attention to the grain!) but it does provide a very pleasureable round. Almost every hole was very scenic and they aren't designed to beat you up.

Staff were all very friendly. Not many people on the course when I played (10am tee time) so we finished in well under 4 hours.

The rental clubs were Taylormade M2's, 11 clubs. Had to make adjustments for the R shaft on the driver but otherwise they did the trick.

Saved the day...

After a couple of bad experiences at northern courses, (beware of gale force winds and dried conditions), we played Kona. Nice playable course with beautiful views. Greens were tough to read but well maintained. Hope to play again before l leave.

BEST VALUE ON THE ISLAND

I have played almost every golf course on the island from Kohanaiki to Big Island Country Club. Based on course conditions, course character, aesthetics (scenery), pace of play, friendliness of staff and cost,Kona Country Club is by far the best value on the island. Course conditions were impeccable, with true rolling greens of fast, but not excessive pace. Several holes have fantastic, distracting ocean vistas. We enjoyed it so much, we played it twice.

Good stuff

Great Course. In very nice shape. Ocean view and 'black' lava holes. Look out for the funny shaped palm tree (H16?). Check if golf course is offering special rate on their own website. I got an online rate of 130 (vs 180 regular, bit pricey...). Not crowded at all. Friendly staff and the coconut water refreshing towel at the end is a treat!!! Would def play again!

Top-notch price, but not quite top-notch

Course itself is excellent. Good layout with elevation changes and overall in very good condition. Holes 12-14 in particular are spectacular, hard by the blue Pacific. The normal $180 greens fee is too high, however. Look for discounts on the course's own website. Main complaint was with the rental clubs. Paid $55 and got a mismatched set of only 11 clubs. I was told this was the "going rate" - maybe for a complete set!

Kona Country Club - Hawaii

while staying in Kona on the Big Island I decided to check out the Kona Country Club. Apparently the course had been closed for a year to sort out some irrigation and fairway levelling issues. Teed off at 1pm after a short hit on the practice range. Course in pristine condition with little evidence of traffic. Wide couch(bermuda) fairways and true greens if a little slow. Some holes skirt the ocean on the front 9 with the Pacific providing a dramatic backdrop to the 2nd green. The par 3 runs right next to the coastline and makes for a spectacular hole. The course gets a little samey until the 12/13th. The 13th has you hitting over the "puka" blowhole which was in full flight when I played. Make sure you hit off the blacks on this hole at least. Very much a resort style course but with enough "wow" factor with the scenery on the coast holes to make it worthwhile.

currently closed

these two courses closed last year, the ocean course is supposed to open summer of 2015.

Beauty in decline

Beautiful layout, breathtaking scenery and a real challenge. That sums up Kona Country Clubs mountain course. But sadly the whole thing breathes the atmosphere of neglect. The cart we drove, would have made a fitting prop in The Flintstones: you could see right through the bottom and breaks were nonexistent. The bar was closed, the bunkers contained hardly any sand, a pond was dry, the on course lavatories were filthy and I could go on complaining. I won't. We had a fine round for $55 through a GolfNow deal. But I noticed that the standard greenfee is $150. No way!

Kealakekua, Hawaii