Kona Country Club - Mountain Course

Staff Friendliness

Editor's Note: Course closed for business. See Kona Country Club's listing for the remaining 18 holes.
Championship 72 6494 yards 72.9 135
Middle 72 5917 yards 70.0 130
Middle (W) 71 5917 yards 74.9 130
Senior 72 4886 yards 65.1 119
Women 71 4886 yards 69.1 116
Scorecard for Mountain
White M: 72.9/135 374 450 197 534 181 492 446 213 432 3319 466 373 334 509 179 401 420 209 424 3315 6634
Blue M: 70.0/130 342 422 177 425 148 435 373 178 399 2899 448 350 303 491 167 385 355 172 406 3077 5976
Red W: 69.0/116 276 409 124 400 97 382 305 165 334 2492 395 286 230 426 125 320 311 110 343 2546 5038

Year Built 1985

Not up to par

We played this course on previous visits to the big island and were very favorably impressed. This time, not so much. My primary issue was that the greens had been recently punched and sanded and were quite slow and difficult to read. We were not told about the maintenance when we called for a tee time, and the course did not offer a discount for the conditions. The standard rate was $180.00. We paid $125.00 by booking online. We had some trouble with the booking site so we called for a tee time, but they said they could not honor the online rate unless we booked online--which eventually we were able to get to work. I definitely would not pay $180 to play this course in its current condition. Also, although no fault of the club, the air quality index from the VOG was fairly high the day we played. it did not impact our play, the vistas just were not as attractive on our prior visits. I recommend this course, but I suggest you ask about course maintenance and give the course a good 60 days to recover from any significant maintenance. If you are considering a trip to the big island during the current volcanic activity, look for accommodations north of Waikoloa on the west side of the island. We stayed in Mauna Kea resort, and we had only one day where the VOG affected us. We typically, stay at Hualalai, but that has been affected by the VOG as well. Even Waikoloa and Mauna Lani had more frequent issues with the VOG than we did at Mauna Kea.

Kona Country Club a Delight

Enjoyed playing this course. We did not take advantage of the onsite restaurant and bar. Course was in great shape! Would definitely play it again!
Off-course amenities Fair
Course Conditions Excellent
Course Layout Excellent

Beautiful golf experience on the ocean

Pleasantly surprised by Kona CC, played March 2018. Upon landing we headed straight over and they were very flexible with letting us have lunch first and pushing back our tee time 30 minutes. Hit some slower players on the front 9 but it was Good Friday and lots of golfers out that day. Back 9 opened up just fine. The ocean holes are fantastic, off the charts, better than pictures could make it look. 2nd green, 3rd hole are just amazing spots. More ocean on the back 9, beautiful par 3 and set of 2 par 4's. Layout is challenging and fair, not extreme deep bunkering or trouble all over, good amount of space to drive the ball before finding trouble. Greens were slower than expected, all bermuda and quite grainy but they were very slow for our taste. Only complaint would be they require carts to come in at 6:00pm while there's 30 mins of daylight left so we couldn't play 17 or 18 as we hit the 6:00 mark on 16 green and a marshal asked us to pack it in. 18 looks like an epic finishing hole. But, that's just because we teed off at 230 so if you can get out earlier that solves that problem. Otherwise Staff was great, restaurant has great food and amazing view, practice areas are cool (we came back and practiced during our vacation). Super fun track, chill environment, inspiring ocean front holes, very playable. I hope to play it again when I go back.
Pace of Play Good

All good but the greens

First time playing this since they completed the renovation and the course is about as pretty as I've ever seen it. I've always liked the design - there is a little bit of everything here, and the coastal holes are beautiful. Only issue was the greens. I'm not a fan of bermuda in the first place, but when they are kept this long and have so much grain, it becomes almost unplayable. A couple of putts were like shag carpet - must have been 10 times I smashed the ball hard and still came up short. Roll the greens out to be faster and you have a real gem here.
Pace of Play Good
Course Layout Good
We enjoyed the course but I would NEVER pay the full price to play here. Definitely is not worth $180!! We payed $110 which for this course is plenty. Pace was a little slow. Nice views from some of the holes.
Pace of Play Average
Course Layout Average

Great Seaside golf value

I last played this course 5 years ago. This time the course was in better shape. Helpful Pro shop staff. Excellent service from the Starter/cart staff. I will come back and also recommend the experience to others. Thanks KCC!

Kona Beauty

This was a very nice course. Every hole is unique and the course was manicured nicely. The greens were a little slow for my liking but they still rolled smooth. When you play, make sure you have a camera because there are a lot of photo worthy holes.

Beautiful Scenery

Beautiful course, ocean holes were fantastic. Greens were pretty fuzzy and slow compared to other courses I played on the island. Definitely a different feel from the courses north of Kona.
Course Layout Good

Beautiful course, a pleasure to play.

Beautiful beautiful golf course in very good shape. Not mown tightly and greens aren't quick by any means but they are consistent (really have to pay attention to the grain!) but it does provide a very pleasureable round. Almost every hole was very scenic and they aren't designed to beat you up. Staff were all very friendly. Not many people on the course when I played (10am tee time) so we finished in well under 4 hours. The rental clubs were Taylormade M2's, 11 clubs. Had to make adjustments for the R shaft on the driver but otherwise they did the trick.

Saved the day...

After a couple of bad experiences at northern courses, (beware of gale force winds and dried conditions), we played Kona. Nice playable course with beautiful views. Greens were tough to read but well maintained. Hope to play again before l leave.
Course Conditions Excellent

Valid dates: Sep 03, 2018 - Oct 21, 2018
Book this Stay and Play package to enjoy your stay at the Stowe Mountain Lodge which includes 1 round at the exclusive Mountain Course at Spruce Peak (Formerly known as the Stowe Mountain Course) and unlimited rounds at the Stowe Country Club!
Kealakekua, Hawaii