Walking Stick Golf Course

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Discover Welcomed

"Tournament Review: Was not great."

weatherman223's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/14/2018

I played during a US kids golf tournament. It was a bumpy and rough course that reminded me of other courses such as Kings Deer and Buffalo Run. However, it was worse.

The condition was okay for this time of year, but there is no excuse for the condition of some of your hazard. Some of the hazards ( Such as Hole 7 par 3) are covered in white and muck and are infested with recluse spiders and fire ants. The fairways have long patches of dead grass and the greens were weird feeling and hard to putt on. Aeration plugs everywhere, The Back was in better shape than the front. The practice range areas were fine.

The layout was really weird, and I was frequently confused on where the pins were, and it was long walks between some holes. 14 was the most confusing, my fmap said it was straight when it was a 90 degree angle away.

The area around was good due to CSU Pueblo being walking distance away.

Should you play here? No. PCC and Elmwood are in better shape than this course. Skip this course for now until the conditions improve, and do not play in winter and early spring.

"Surprised"

jcraighea's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/02/2017

I wasn't expecting much, but it was really nice. Conditions good, staff great, pace of play exactly 4 hours. The one thing that is a drawback is the layout is a little funky and not signed very well. The starter did tell us about that and gave a yardage book with a map and gave a quick overview. Really liked this course to spite how badly I played.

"Good course, poor service"

aml525's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/20/2017

Course was in great shape for February and had an interesting layout. Greens were in good shape and rolled well. However, I only made it through 12 holes. Pro shop didn't write down my tee time that lead to waiting an hour to tee off. No apology and tried to tell me that he was there all weekend and I probably called the wrong course. Showed my call log but said he didn't remember any call from a single...

Had to talk to the starter three times before he let me off an hour later. Started me off the back joining up with a twosome. It was enjoyable, but pretty slow and took 2 hrs and 45 mins to finish the back 9. Making the turn to #1 there were three fivesome groups in front of me. Horrible pace and after over an hour to play 3 holes I gave up despite having a great scoring round going.

Asked for a raincheck for 9 and pro shop told me I should expect this pace of play on a busy day as a single. Again no apology and was instead met with a rude tone. 6 hour rounds plus an hour of waiting due to staff error is unacceptable.

Recommend going only if you have a whole day free and don't expect the staff to help you out in any way. I have played over a hundred courses and the experience with this staff was possibly the worst to date.

"Disappointed"

hogan555's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/15/2016
First time playing Walked Played 9 holes Excellent weather

Great price, great layout although I only played the front nine. But the greens were REALLY slow. The tee boxes and fairways looked like they have not been cut in a week. Not sure why?

"Lowest round ever!"

brianeprice's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/17/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Excellent weather

I'll always remember Walking Stick as the course with my lowest round of 81. The links style course has beautiful views of the mountains and the layout is challenging. Great place to play and very affordable.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent