Shining Mountain Golf Club

Dress code: Proper golf attire required. Collared shirts or mock turtlenecks. No T-shirts, cut-off jeans (or ragged jeans), halter tops or tank tops allowed.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Location is worth the drive near local attractions   Great for wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers locals   Challenges include narrow fairways elevation changes thick rough   Great for 19th hole scenic views patio dining drinks

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/07/2018

We had rain wind thunder lightning and Beautiful weather. Enjoyed the elements. Greens a bit iffy

"shining Mountain - A good course for Duffers"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/04/2018

As a duffer, i find this course perfect for my game. It is not hard and is fairly open. I only golfed 9 holes, but it was a great experience!

"Control needed!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/02/2018

Great course. Hard if your control is not in command. Great cart service. Staff above average. Enjoyed the scenery & conditions.

"Fun and Challenging Course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/31/2018

Shining Mountain is a fun and challenging course located a couple of miles north of downtown Woodland Park on Hwy 67. It takes about 30 minutes to get there from central Colorado Springs. The course is in excellent shape, the groundskeepers do a wonderful job taking care of it. The layout makes you use every club in your bag.The front is slightly easier than the back. The back has 5 elevated tee boxes which require a wise club selection. Accuracy is more important than distance. The staff is friendly and polite and the beverage cart gals are efficient and omnipresent. Worth the trip up the pass and is always like vacation golf in the cool mountains.

jtwilliams01's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/28/2018

Course was in good shape. Greens were slow.staff was friendly. Look forward to playing again.

"Must Play"

DasObie's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/12/2018

Really enjoyed this course. Will definitely return!

"Great Golf expetience"

EagleEye999's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/10/2018

i was very pleasantly surprised at the beauty and layout of this course. Tight fairways, lots of hazards and bunkers - I used every club. I found the greens to be slow but in great shape with no bumps and true rolls. Loved the rugged cart path - gave the course an authentic mountain hike feel. Amused by the well integrated disc golf course snd sharing the space with those always cool folks.

Staff was super welcoming. Pace was unbroken - never had to wait to take a shot. I consider this course my new favorite and will definetly return asap. Thanks for this wondetful course!

CMBland's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/29/2018

"Fun mountain course, early in the season"

Leo4231779's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/27/2018

This was my 1st visit. A great deal enticed me to drive from Denver. Interesting path via 285, 126, & 67 with the burn scars. This was their 9th day of the season, 4th without snow. The staff was super friendly. The range as noted is short, irons and hybrids only.

The grass is a mix of Kentucky blue, bent grass, and poa. Stiff Kentucky blue in the first teed some balls up nicely. The course played much less narrow than the website drone views suggested to me, still there's lots of ESAs, so you have to know where to miss. I'm not a straight hitter, but i only 2 lost balls, one a rushed shot, so not too narrow. #2 isn't too bad. #15 plays tighter. #5's white disc golf flag from 220 out fooled me. Yellow was the golf course flag Fri.

The course played fast, 2:45 walking, but maybe the cart golfer behind pushed my pace. The greens were a bit slow, but they're just coming out of winter.

Free drops from elk scat. The course reminded me of Estes' 18 but more interesting. I recommend the course.

They have 2 (with plans for a 3rd) disc courses, so you could do a 2 sport day.

"Shining Mountain Early Season"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/19/2018
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

This was the first day of the season for Shining Mountain. The tee boxes are in decent shape for this early on. Unlike Patty Jewett Golf Course in Colorado Springs, Shining Mountain has not been beatin to death over the winter. The fairway grass is in good shape. What I noticed the most was the greens. For the middle of April they are really coming back great! The ground crew or mother nature has done a wonderful job. I scanned each green I was on and noticed from top to bottom from right to left the grass is uniform condition and when we get a little further into the season these greens are going to be excellent. Shining Mountain is a fun and challenging course to play. If you manage your tee shots well, straight is much more important than distance, you'll have good size greens to hit and the greens are true.

"Great golf course"

Sam2346427's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/16/2017

Had a great time,meet a lot of very nice people. The course was very challenging for me and great scenery . I loved it.

Response from Shining Mountain on 11/20/2017:

Hello Sam, thank you for the five-star review! We are glad to hear that you had an overall great golfing experience with us the other day. We value your feedback, and we'll see you again soon.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/04/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Response from Shining Mountain on 11/08/2017:

Hi, thank you for taking the time to review us here at Shining Mountain in the Woodland Park, CO area and for the 4-stars. We pride ourselves on making sure that every aspect of your round is amazing with us and are very happy to see that everything went great during your time with us! Thank you for playing with us and we hope to earn your business back again soon!

"Shining Mountain Golf course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/25/2017

For this time of year, the course was in very good condition. Once again, the course was very busy and had only 1 person watching pro shop and bar/grill. I watched 2 foursomes walk away from bar.

for this time of year

Response from Shining Mountain on 10/30/2017:

Hi, thank you for taking the time to review us here at Shining Mountain in the Woodland Park, CO area and for the great rating. We are sorry that our off-course amenities were not up to their normal standard that day, but do hope that your time out on the course was able to ensure that you had a fun round with us. Thank you for recommending our course and we hope to see you back with us again soon!

"Great Mountain Course"

HHK3's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/25/2017

Always a wonderful experience to play this Course. Back nine are a challenge, but a lot of fun. Course in great shape despite the elk, deer and occasional bear coming after hours to loll about. Friendly staff.

Response from Shining Mountain on 10/27/2017:

Hi, thank you for taking the time to review us here at Shining Mountain in the Woodland Park, CO area and for the great rating. We are very happy to see that you enjoyed our challenging back 9 and hope that the wildlife only added to your experience! Thank you for recommending our course and we hope to see you back with again soon!

"Fun"

lightening's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/12/2017

Beautiful scenery and course. Difficult like many mountain courses. But, fair. Great deal!

Response from Shining Mountain Golf Course on 10/16/2017:

Hello, thank you for giving our course, Shining Mountain Golf Course, in the Woodland Park area, a four-star review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our course layout and that you found it good value for your money. Thank you for playing with us, and we'll see you again soon.

"Nice Mountain Course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/14/2017

Our first visit here; we were graciously welcomed in the pro shop and the facilities were explained to us. We hit some range balls on range limited to irons and hybrids, which was fine. Putting practice green included flat and sloped portions which helped

determine green speed. Unfortunately, weather did not cooperate as it rained twice and hailed once-typical mountain weather in Colorado. The road base (small gravel) cart paths became saturated and somewhat sloppy. Carts are predominately restricted to paths with an occasional ability to go onto fairways. The area has some natural wetland and grassy areas where looking for your bad shots is not permitted. The tee choices are many, running the gamut from very challenging, to shorter for us less frequent, short hitting golfers. The longer tee areas require launching over rough areas on par 4 & 5 holes. The greens were in excellent condition, rolling true. I would certainly play this course again. The deer emerging near sundown added a great feel to the day! I would suggest some additional work on cart paths which were extremely side-sloped in some areas which was somewhat uncomfortable to navigate.

Response from Shining Mountain on 09/22/2017:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course and for the great review. We appreciate the feedback on the cart paths and will definitely take that into consideration for some nice improvements. Thank you for recommending our course and we look forward to seeing you back with us again at Shining Mountain soon!

"Must Play"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/11/2017

Grand Elk lets you have fun without being to tricky.

Every time I get to the mountains. I try to play "The Elk"

Atmosphere is great.

Don't miss out Playing Grand Elk you will have a Grand Time.

R

Response from Shining Mountain Golf Course on 09/27/2017:

Hello, thank you for giving our course a five-star review. We just wanted to let you know that this is the review page for Shining Mountain Golf Course. You may have meant to review another golf course.

"Tough and tight"

blake6136503's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2017

Course is tough and tight. The greens need some work and not very organized in terms of letting people know who is on deck to tee off. There was also a group of 8 guys with two tee times that started by playing an eightsome. Once the ranger made them split back up, the pace picked up a tad. They were complaining but when it took 40 minutes to finish the first

Hole, something had to be done to fix that.

Response from Shining Mountain on 09/01/2017:

Thank you for the honest review, we appreciate you making us aware of the pace of play issue. We are currently looking into this situation. Thank you for coming out and we hope to see you again in the near future.

"Unexpected surprise"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/17/2017

Yesterday was my first trip to shining Mountain what a great surprise terrific Golf Course great views test your skill you don't need to be a long hitter but you better be a straight hitter. Take your time enjoy the rim great restaurant will come back

Response from Shining Mountain on 08/22/2017:

Thank you for the review, we are so glad you enjoyed the course conditions and fantastic views today. Please come back and see us again soon!

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/16/2017

Shining mountain is a fun course with great scenery. There are some very challenging holes but still playable for the average golfer.

Response from Shining Mountain on 08/23/2017:

Thank you for the great review! We appreciate the great compliments regarding the course and its surrounding scenery. Thank you so much for coming out and we hope to see you again in the near future.