Shining Mountain Golf Course

Year Built 1995
Architect John Harbottle III

Dress code Proper golf attire required. Collared shirts or mock turtlenecks. No T-shirts, cut-off jeans (or ragged jeans), halter tops or tank tops allowed.

Response from on 10/16/2018:
Thank you for leaving us four stars!

Always love this beautiful mountain course

Since I moved out of the US I only get to play SHining Mountain a few time during the summer when we are here for three months, on and off. The course is in good condition, especially considering the drought and limited water. We played the front nine in perfect conditions until a big thunderstorm moved in and ended our play for the day. The staff immediately gave us a RainCheck for the additional 9 holes and I asssume we will play it later this week.. If you have not played this course you should. It is usually not crowded so play is relaxed. The fairways are decent now and the current rains should help fill them in a bit more. The greens are quite good and speed is fairly predictable. Each hole has its unique challenges and hitting ball straight, of course is of primary importance here because of the prrotected uncut areas on the fairway sides. The views are outstanding and the adjacent homes do not impede on the natural beauty.The restaurant has limited hours so best to bring your snacks during the weekday. You can walk this course but the back nine is very challenging in its steepness and remember you are breathing at altitude. Drink lots of water and have a great time!

Response from on 10/16/2018:
Thank you for leaving us a wonderful four-star review! We're so pleased that you had a great time with us despite the thunderstorm. Please come and see us again next time you're in the states.

The event coordinator Kimberly Smith, blocked me 5 tee times for 20 people. She also held a confirmed banquet private room for lunch for 20 people. I booked this almost 2 months in advance and have a confirmed email from Kimberly Smith. I coordinated this because I had 200 family members arriving in Manitou Springs for a reunion. She canceled my booking out 5 days before my family was to arrive, coming from all over the country and also from other countries. She would not return any of my phone calls, and her manager voice mail box was full and would not take any messages. Very poor customer service.

Response from on 10/16/2018:
We're very sorry to hear about this inconvenience. We understand that not being able to accommodate your party a week in advance was absolutely not ideal and we do apologize.

Narrow fairways, scenic views

The course was as very good value, greens were in good shape. Fairways were very narrow and some shots were blind. Course knowledge would be helpful. The greens were in good condition. Friendly staff.

Response from on 10/16/2018:
Thank you for leaving us a very nice four-star review, Cheri! Please come and see us again soon.

Awesome layout, greens and staff need improvements

Beautiful setting, very nice layout, and very nice fairways. The greens are terrible and bunkers could all use work. Inexperienced and unorganized in pro shop. Had a 7:30 am tee time, was told there was a wedding tournament on back 9 starting at 9:00 am, but still needed to tee off on #1. Sure enough when we finished the front we ran right into the tournament and literally got scolded by the wedding party. They told us we weren’t supposed to be there... at any rate, it would have been nice to have a staff member to organize that entire situation better, and seemed to be an easy solution from the beginning.

Love this challenging course.

Considering all the factors due to low moisture in our area, the fairways are in decent condition, and the greens are very good. Hard to beat the scenery. If you like a little above challenging your skills this course will do it. My only complaints are minor ones that are just that, minor! Signage to get to next hole has improved from last year, but still a few holes for newcomers that are hard to tell where the next tee is. I think they are a little hyper about their protected areas for the vegetation, sorry I don't see anything but mimimal harm. I guess it helps me to be a better golfer so I don't end up in the rough as often! Again, it is "minor". Thanks for one of the very best courses in the whole area!!

Great Value

Challenging Course with narrow fairways and little room for error. Driver is not always the best club choice. Fairways were in average shape. Greens were bumpy and putting was close to impossible. Your ball would suddenly jump 2 inches off course, there were large divots that no one repaired. Back 9 is beautiful, but smells like sewage around hole 15. Driving range was in terrible shape and you cannot hit anything more than a hybrid because of it's short yardage and facing the highway. If you are looking for food at the turn, better call ahead. This was the third time that the bar and grill had only one person working. Overall a great value course, just don't expect prestigious conditions. We will continue going back once or twice a year, just with lower expectation.

Bring your rangefinder

Fun and tight little course. Frontside greens in not so go shape. Backside greens in better shape. Fairways were tight but yardages were off somewhat so you should bring a rangefinder.

We had rain wind thunder lightning and Beautiful weather. Enjoyed the elements. Greens a bit iffy

shining Mountain - A good course for Duffers

As a duffer, i find this course perfect for my game. It is not hard and is fairly open. I only golfed 9 holes, but it was a great experience!

Control needed!

Great course. Hard if your control is not in command. Great cart service. Staff above average. Enjoyed the scenery & conditions.

Fun and Challenging Course

Shining Mountain is a fun and challenging course located a couple of miles north of downtown Woodland Park on Hwy 67. It takes about 30 minutes to get there from central Colorado Springs. The course is in excellent shape, the groundskeepers do a wonderful job taking care of it. The layout makes you use every club in your bag.The front is slightly easier than the back. The back has 5 elevated tee boxes which require a wise club selection. Accuracy is more important than distance. The staff is friendly and polite and the beverage cart gals are efficient and omnipresent. Worth the trip up the pass and is always like vacation golf in the cool mountains.

Course was in good shape. Greens were slow.staff was friendly. Look forward to playing again.

Must Play

Really enjoyed this course. Will definitely return!

Great Golf expetience

i was very pleasantly surprised at the beauty and layout of this course. Tight fairways, lots of hazards and bunkers - I used every club. I found the greens to be slow but in great shape with no bumps and true rolls. Loved the rugged cart path - gave the course an authentic mountain hike feel. Amused by the well integrated disc golf course snd sharing the space with those always cool folks.
Staff was super welcoming. Pace was unbroken - never had to wait to take a shot. I consider this course my new favorite and will definetly return asap. Thanks for this wondetful course!

Fun mountain course, early in the season

This was my 1st visit. A great deal enticed me to drive from Denver. Interesting path via 285, 126, & 67 with the burn scars. This was their 9th day of the season, 4th without snow. The staff was super friendly. The range as noted is short, irons and hybrids only.

The grass is a mix of Kentucky blue, bent grass, and poa. Stiff Kentucky blue in the first teed some balls up nicely. The course played much less narrow than the website drone views suggested to me, still there's lots of ESAs, so you have to know where to miss. I'm not a straight hitter, but i only 2 lost balls, one a rushed shot, so not too narrow. #2 isn't too bad. #15 plays tighter. #5's white disc golf flag from 220 out fooled me. Yellow was the golf course flag Fri.

The course played fast, 2:45 walking, but maybe the cart golfer behind pushed my pace. The greens were a bit slow, but they're just coming out of winter.

Free drops from elk scat. The course reminded me of Estes' 18 but more interesting. I recommend the course.

They have 2 (with plans for a 3rd) disc courses, so you could do a 2 sport day.

Shining Mountain Early Season

This was the first day of the season for Shining Mountain. The tee boxes are in decent shape for this early on. Unlike Patty Jewett Golf Course in Colorado Springs, Shining Mountain has not been beatin to death over the winter. The fairway grass is in good shape. What I noticed the most was the greens. For the middle of April they are really coming back great! The ground crew or mother nature has done a wonderful job. I scanned each green I was on and noticed from top to bottom from right to left the grass is uniform condition and when we get a little further into the season these greens are going to be excellent. Shining Mountain is a fun and challenging course to play. If you manage your tee shots well, straight is much more important than distance, you'll have good size greens to hit and the greens are true.

Great golf course

Had a great time,meet a lot of very nice people. The course was very challenging for me and great scenery . I loved it.

Response from on 11/20/2017:
Hello Sam, thank you for the five-star review! We are glad to hear that you had an overall great golfing experience with us the other day. We value your feedback, and we'll see you again soon.
Response from on 11/08/2017:
Hi, thank you for taking the time to review us here at Shining Mountain in the Woodland Park, CO area and for the 4-stars. We pride ourselves on making sure that every aspect of your round is amazing with us and are very happy to see that everything went great during your time with us! Thank you for playing with us and we hope to earn your business back again soon!
Monument, Colorado
Monument, Colorado
Larkspur, Colorado
4.1915

Valid dates: Nov 15, 2019 - May 31, 2020
Conveniently located 20 minutes from the airport, the new We-Ko-Pa Resort & Conference Center features 246 contemporary guestrooms and suites designed with Native American traditions, bold Southwestern cuisine at Ahnala Restaurant, luxurious spa treatments and salon services at the Amethyst Spa and a spacious heated outdoor pool with two whirlpools.
From $1900