Shining Mountain Golf Course

Year Built 1995
Architect John Harbottle III

Dress code Proper golf attire required. Collared shirts or mock turtlenecks. No T-shirts, cut-off jeans (or ragged jeans), halter tops or tank tops allowed.

Great value

Booking was easy and a super value for a foursome. Course was in great shape and very few players due to chance of rain made the speed of play fantastic.

Poor weather

Tight Mountain Course

Excellent little course tucked back behind the front range. Not a bad drive from the Springs. Played the blue tees and left my driver in the bag. Many very tight fairways, with very real trouble both right and left. Mid to small greens with significant undulation. A few blind shots. Forgot to pick up a scorecard since I use GolfShot to score my rounds. GPS only failed once, on hole nine, which also happens to be missing the yardage indicators on the tee box. Had to guess which hole to hit at (since there is a practice green in the background that looks like it could be the hole) and guess the yardage on this par three. Other than that, a really fun little mountain course that is well maintained. It had rained a lot the day before and during the round, but the course seemed to drain well, even if the cart path didn't. No complaints! Oh, and I'm going back today to play it again with my brother-in-law. Really looking forward to it.

Beautiful views

I got a huge discount thru GN for a Saturday Noon tee time; staff is helpful and organized. Course conditions vary by hole, some greens in rough shape. As others have noted, it has some tight fairways and the out of bounds is way out.
Only big negative is rental clubs are snake beaters; terrible selection.

breath taking scenery

scenery alone is worth the price of the green fees

Beautiful views and holes

Would play again. We loved the course.

Beautiful Mountain Course

My husband and I were very pleased with this course. It was in very good shape. Our favorite courses are mountain. We would play again. We felt we found a jewel.

Economic option

Although I booked this session with GolfNow, I can see the value of golfing at this little gem in Colorado. The course is well cared for, as evidenced by maintenance personnel and marshals repairing ball marks and divots during the course of play. The price is comparable to many municipal courses which are heavily used but in much better shape. The grill and bar have enough to keep you going while playing a round. The range is small (goes out to about 225 yards). The course required well placed shots. Much trouble and lost balls are the results of wayward shots. On the back nine there is a large federal wetland the course sits upon which swallowed a couple shots of ours. All in all a great course.

nice course

Great layout, tight course. Bring a few extra balls. Two drivable par 4's Will come back, it was at least 10 degrees cooler in the mountains. Great when it's 90+ degrees in Co Springs.

Beautiful mountain course

Had a wonderful day golfing. Lost a few balls on first 3 holes. They were very tight. However, course openned up after. Very friendly and helpful staff. Ask about weddings when making tee time. It may affect rate of play. Overall my wife and I had a wnderful round!

A Gem

Nice challenging tight course. A bit technical to get around the course, but only because we were new. Worth the drive from C/S.

Golfing with the bride and groom

Wedding was occurring during play. One would think this would not pose any conflict, however, staff allowed wedding party onto course for pictures, etc. Marshal came by to notify us that this is what was causing dreadfully slow play during front 9. At hole 6, Marshal appeared again, inviting us to jump 4 holes ahead to provide some relief. We did move to hole 11 and it was clear sailing. Very disappointed in the decisions they made to accommodate wedding during play.
Back 9 was great. And is very well laid out through the terrain. We did not return to 7,8,9,10 as the day was shot when we finished. Very sad. Course showed a lot of wear in certain places as well.

Shining Mountain

First time playing course and it was great. Greens still need a couple of weeks to grow in but all in all course was in good shape and staff was very friendly. Very enjoyable time and will go back often. Views of Pikes Peak are great.

Disc Golf or Golf?

First the good. The staff is very friendly. The course is usually in good shape. The bad. They started disc golf on the golf course. Having 4-8 people in the fairway when you tee off can be very distracting. Golfers have the right away. The pro shop does not let disc golf start until after 3pm. This means if you play after work you are not as equal as a golfer who plays during the day! There is plenty of land around the course to have disc golf. No need for it to be in the area of golf play. Bummed since all my friends play after work and now we have distractions during our round.

Great first play

I was very pleasantly surprised by my first visit to Shining Mountain Golf Club.
At an elevation above 8,000 feet, the course had been snow covered only a few weeks ago. But I found the fairways and greens to be in pretty good shape for this early in the season. The greens had been verticut and mowed, and putts were rolling true at a nice speed. I even dropped a couple of longish tries!
The routing uses a nice combination of elevation changes, water, and willow areas. And the mountain views are a bonus!
I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The lady in the pro shop even walked outside to point out some local knowledge playing tips.
I look forward to returning in a few months to see the course under summer conditions.

Thinking Persons Course

Course is in good condition for this time of year. Staff is exceptionally friendly. I recommend this course if you are in the area.

Hidden Mountain Gem

The course was in very good shape for late in the summer and with little rain for 3 weeks. Facilities are very nice for a small community like Woodland Park. The course marshal found our ball twice which was a first and it was good to see them around policing pace of play. Fairways in great shape, greens with a few repairs going on and tee boxes in good late summer shape. Holes are long enough for challenge but not so long you get discouraged when you strike the ball poorly.

great mountain course!

very difficult as most mountain courses are. You need skill and some luck to score well here. A beautiful course that I would love to play more often.

Solid course

A little off the beaten path. However, a nice track for this Houstonian.

Great Views - Poor Grrens

The course was wide open. Played as a single until the 4th hole when I caught up to others. Then waited for another single to join up with. Tee boxes and fairways great!! Greens not so much. There were many dead spots that effected putting. Not a great putter so not so much!!! LOL!!! Elk have been visiting the course and there was evidence on greens and fairways if you know what I mean!! Had a GREAT time as the staff was friendly and accommodating, because I got there 10 minutes late. I definitely would play there again and make the 40 minute drive from Colorado Springs.

Nice course, Amazing views of Pikes Peak

I really enjoyed the course and had a great time playing it. Great course with amazing views of Pikes Peak in the background. If you love good courses with great views and perfect weather. Play this one.

Monument, Colorado
Monument, Colorado
Larkspur, Colorado
4.1915

Valid dates: Nov 15, 2019 - May 31, 2020
Conveniently located 20 minutes from the airport, the new We-Ko-Pa Resort & Conference Center features 246 contemporary guestrooms and suites designed with Native American traditions, bold Southwestern cuisine at Ahnala Restaurant, luxurious spa treatments and salon services at the Amethyst Spa and a spacious heated outdoor pool with two whirlpools.
From $1900