Year Built 1972
Architect Arnold Palmer (1975) Francis Duane (1975) Hale Irwin

Caddies Yes
Golf School Academy Yes - "Kapalua Golf Academy"

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Hawaii (2019 #15)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Friendliest Courses in the U.S. (2019 #10)

The Baby course

Hey, you're on the island of Maui, and you are at Kapalua.
What more is there to say. Yes, this is the afterthought when you think of Kapalua. The club house was moved, recently. It is now the old Village course clubhouse was.
With such, the course now plays in a different order than prior. That is ok, because the ocean holes play toward the end.
What a sight, when you stand on 16 tee, and watch whales playing in the bay. Or the unforgettable view from the 17 tee, as you tee over the ocean..
The only downside I noted was the bunkers. The sand is fluffed up so much, your feet sink getting in and out. As such, playing from the bunkers is a whole new experience.
Play the Champions Package. You get rounds on the Bay course, one on the Plantation, and a one hour private lesson at the learning center.

They pack you onto the course like sardines.

For the cost of a round you'd think they wouldn't pack us onto the course like sardines. I was playing alone and it wasn't long before there was a wait at every tee box. It wasn't because the twosome in front of me was slow. They were waiting at every tee box as well. The front nine took 2.5 hours and everyone was stacked up on top of each other. It looked like the back nine was going to be even worse. I gave up after nine. They didn't comp me when I returned to the club house.

Beauty of a Course

I played this course twice recently while in Kapalua. While it is not quite on the level of its sister course, Plantation, it is a great track in its own right. The back tees are only 6,600, so it is a little short for long hitters, but I just bagged my driver on most holes. The layout was very nice and everything was in great shape. Greens were slower than Plantation, but still rolled very smoothly. Much like the Plantation Course, the elevation changes and wind added some challenge. Great practice facility, clubhouse, and staff as well.

Fun day at the Bay

I played with my son and his buddy. Both are about 8 handicaps and I'm about a 12. The staff at the pro shop and the outside guys were all super. We warmed up on their great driving range and hit the course. Number one is a great starting hole and we got a bit of rain on 1 and drenched on 2 a par 3 and after that perfect and sunny. The wind was whipping but the course was in great shape. A real challenge. I've been playing this course for over 30 years and still to this day it does not disappoint. Once you get on the back nine and reach the now 16th for that great shot with a 3 wood or 4 hybrid to a tiny corner toward the green you go, WOW. This is special. Looking over Fleming beach and the crashing waves and Honolua Bay just further north it takes your breath away. Then you hit 17. One of the best par 3 anywhere. Mother nature couldn't have given a better gift to golf. Waves, sunshine and 160-180 yards over the water to a really sneaky green, It goes fast toward the ocean there. The grain in amazing. you have to be there to understand. Amazing place and can't wait to go again.

This is a great course with difficult greens. Scenery is great and course conditions are very good.

Great place

I always enjoy playing this course. Great staff. Rental clubs were new callaways. Could have been cheaper but you get what you pay for.

Enjoyable

Love the Bay course! The routing is excellent, even if it has been rerouted to put the ocean holes (16 and 17) at the back of the round. That leads to some switch-backs along the way, but it's a minor glitch for what is an enjoyable experience all the way around.
In may ways, the Bay is more "fun" than the Plantation. It's forgiving without being easy. Remember, LPGA and PGA Tour players competed on it back in the day, so there are plenty of bunkers pinching greens.
The two coastline holes are pretty cool with the 17th a par 3 over an ocean inlet. For those looking for "island" golf without much stress, hang out at the Bay.

Maui golf is fun.

Played with two sets of strangers and had a blast playing Kapalua Bay course.
Great layout and beautiful views.
Would highly recommend to all levels of golfers.

destination golf

One of those golf courses you are willing to travel a long way in order to play. Fantastic views abound and you get to tee off over the Pacific ocean on #17 Amazing!.

Gorgeous views and great course

I am an 18 handicapper and enjoy this course very much. The Women’s tees are a bit long on the par fours but in general a very playable course. Greens, tee boxes and fairways are in good shape and it’s a beautiful course. Staff is exceptional. I purchased a package for 3 rounds in 7 days with free same day replays. It also includes a 1/2 hour lesson at their academy. I always play very early to avoid the heat, wind and slow play:)

Stunning round

My wife and I played the Kapalua Bay Course recently and we had the most positive experience. From the time we dropped off our clubs to finishing our round/returning our golf cart, we were treated like special guests. All staff members had the Aloha spirit and everyone had such a friendly and positive outlook of all the Maui golf courses we played during our numerous visits to Maui.
The course and facility were immaculate, practice range, chipping area, practice green, tee boxes, fairways, bunkers, and greens were in outstanding condition. Pace of play was good (4 hrs 5 mins) and the new cart GPS was accurate (compared yardages to my laser range finder). If you get a chance, play this course. The views were fabulous, conditions great, staff friendly, and the 17th par 3 hole had the most beautiful ocean views around. Our only disappointment was the Plantation Course was closed for renovation during our stay (scheduled to reopen Nov 23, 2019).

Wow. Low quality, poor management, high price tag.

Really awful experience. Beautiful scenery. Scored decent. But the management was a disaster, course was in rough shape, and beyond slow play. Didn’t have cart or clubs ready. Made me re-enter all the info they gathered at booking. They forgot to give me the balls I purchased, so they sent someone back to get them, meanwhile sent out another group directly in front of us and sandwiched is halfway between two groups, creating a 4 hour mess. Harassed by another golfer midway through the round and Marshall refused to handle by letting us move to another slot to get away from the harassment because they were "full” for the next couple days. Really, really expensive to boot. Pass on this one and find a course hungry for business. Hard to have a bad experience in Maui but they managed to do it. Low point of the Maui visit so far..

Commented on 12/19/2019

I don’t where you usually play, but if you didn’t like this piece of heaven, you’re not a true golfer- period!

Commented on 12/18/2019

I played the course twice 2 weeks after you and it was in beautiful shape. I have a hard time believing they turned it around that quickly. The cost was mid range for Hawaii golf and the staff was great, not that they couldn't have an off day. Your statement that the course was in rough shape, however, leads me to believe you have ulterior motives.

The Highlight of My Hawaiian Golf Vacation.

What a great place to stay and play. I was lucky enough to land a suite right at ground level adjacent to the 15th hole of the golf course and nothing between my room and the Pacific Ocean except 50 yards of green grass. The view from the Bay course were fantastic. To me, the highlight of this course was shooting a 9 iron over the cove and onto the 17th green, Ok, I landed next to the green but that was part of the fun. Just bring plenty of sunscreen and a love for the game and views and you'll be pleasantly rewarded at the Kapalua Bay Course! Enjoy !

Paradise

Beautiful course with superior fairways and greens, beautiful views for great photo opportunities during your round, excellent staff with smiles all around, and excellent food. Doesn't get better than this!

The Bay is Back

It's been a few years since I played the Bay course as we usually opt to play Plantation. On our recent trip we played the Bay course 3 times in 2 days. Course was in wonderful condition, pace of play was 3.5 hours, and the staff was amazing. Plantation finally has a worthy companion course that fits my family better than the challenging "big brother" course.

First time on Maui

Beautiful golf course. Good test for an average player such as myself. Ocean views incredible. Would recommend for anybody to play at least once. Plantation course was closed at the time I played or would have played there, but was not disappointed on this course.

Fun course with great views

The views on the Bay Course are worth the price. Generous fairways, grainy greens, and be aware of the ocean effect. Do not leave yourself above the hole on when you are down grain and toward the ocean , ie #18 The new routing if fine, you finish on 2 of the prettiest holes on the island ( 16 and 17 ).

One of the best

This is a magnificent course with great ocean views and better playability for the average golfer than the more robust plantation course. The new hole layouts create a fantastic finish with signature hole par three now number 17 hole. Truly one of the best courses in the world.

The Views!

This is a must play course! Beautifully manicured, friendly staff, amazing restaurant/ pro shop. The ocean holes are breathtaking, have your camera ready for the whole time, especially 16, 17! The holes not on the ocean are some of the best sculpted holes I’ve ever played. Tee boxes cater to all abilities. Amazing fun!!

Kapalu Bay Course - Don't Pass it Up

The Plantation Course was closed for renovations this time visiting Maui so it gave me a perfect opportunity to play the "other" Kapalua gem. The staff was fantastic and made my wife and me feel so welcome. The starter was a hoot and gave us a full set of instructions and suggestions with a biting wit and sense of humor. The course did not disappoint. The greens were perfect and the pace of play was remarkably quick for a weekend round. I will definitely make the Bay Course part of my schedule on my next trip. I am looking forward to playing the renovated Plantation Course, as well.

Don't pass this up. It is a memorable round of golf

4.1983
Lanai City, Hawaii
Kihei, Hawaii
Lanai City, Hawaii

Valid dates: Apr 04, 2020 - Sep 30, 2020
Here at Coachman's Golf Resort we pride ourselves on the high quality of magnificent golf, superb amenities and outstanding service that we offer our valued customers.