Minnechaug Golf Course

Snacks

Clubhouse

9-Hole Rounds 20

nut bad but not for me

not fond of the course but for $13 dea,l 9 w/cart. figured a bargain to work on my game...not a dificult course, some holes leave you scratching ones head trying to understand why they were designed the way they were, short course, finishing with 2 par 3;s one a fun island hole and the 9th over a pond, both fairly easy finishing holes. Greens in decent shape but fast, again not my preference.

Commented on 09/22/2020

Hi, thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. Please know that the current conditions are by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We will continue to work towards a 5-star experience and we hope to see you back!

Needs some work

Ground is very hard, broke a club head off on a regular powered hit. Grounds need some improvement.

Commented on 09/18/2020

Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We see you rated the course 2-stars and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit. We take customer feedback very seriously at our course. Please reach out to our team in the golf shop and tell us what's on your mind. Thank you for playing Minnechaug Golf Course.

Commented on 09/14/2020

Hi, thank you for reviewing us. We see you rated the course 3-stars and are interested in learning what we can do to improve before your next round. Feel free to comment on this review or reach out to the team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Minnechaug Golf Course, and we hope to see you again soon.

Commented on 09/14/2020

Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We see you rated the course 2-stars and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit? Please know that we take customer feedback very seriously at our course. Please reach out to our team in the golf shop and tell us what's on your mind. Thank you for playing Minnechaug Golf Course.

Connecticut Advisor

In the Recovery Mode

An interesting short course designed by Geoffrey Cornish, Minnechaug normally rates a higher recommendation than I can give it today. Right now the course’s surface conditioning is on the mend after the violence of Storm Isaias last month, when a local power outage here disenabled the use of any water for a solid week—according to Rick, the very pleasant gentleman I spoke with in the pro shop before my round.

Having played here nearly two weeks back and observing marginal conditions then, it was clear to me today that the course is now getting regular water throughout; it’s in the recovery mode. Everything is greener, especially what had been some browned-out fairways. It should be a matter of weeks before the course gets back to fully playable condition. Suffice it to say that only a couple of fairways—five and seven—still need much more grass to grow. The third and fourth fairways have recovered significantly, while one and three have come most of the way back. Greenside problems include only minor patchiness; the rough on some holes is still a bigger issue. What impresses genuinely, though, are the excellent greens here: they roll truly, smoothly, and quite quickly downhill. Kudos is due to the course superintendent, who has quickly returned these surfaces to a high level following the adversities. Nor does the trio of par-threes, all excellent holes, show any ill effects at present.

My round was a more enjoyable one today, as conditioning affected a only couple of my shots on holes four and five—not very good, maybe, but a genuine improvement from last time. Minnechaug is a terrific course for a quick round, and judging by the full parking lot both when I arrived and left, and lot of golfers probably agree with me. Despite the current state of the fairways, I’d still call it a cost-effective bargain. The layout’s quality (look at the photos) should be self-evident to most. It was interesting to see the perspective of my playing partner today, a twenty-something, friendly, serious golfer who was giving this his first whirl. He definitely approved, and seemed excited to be headed out for a replay as I left. It was a bit demoralizing for me, I’ll admit, to have watched him hit 185-yard nine irons.

Minnechaug is a short ride from my house and it’s still definitely on the rota. Its tight and angular fairways, along with the do-or-die island green at eight, make it an ideal place for a match with your golfing buddies.

Commented on 09/10/2020

Hi, thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is extremely important to us. Please know that the current conditions are by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We will continue to work towards a 5-star experience and we hope to see you back!

Commented on 09/08/2020

Hi, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We see you rated the course 2-stars and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit. We take customer feedback very seriously at our course. Please reach out to our team in the golf shop and tell us what's on your mind. Thank you for playing Minnechaug Golf Course.

Play early.

Much better pace in the morning. Played a cpl weeks ago and backed up a ton by late afternoon. Early, it’s a great course.

A little dead

with the lack of rain for quite some time the course did seem to be feeling that problem. Lay out was cool. Holes not too long but have to shape shots or keep in the middle. Island green out of nowhere was awesome. Just a lot of really dead, dry areas. Greens were soft and in good shape though.

Commented on 09/01/2020

Hi, we appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback to the teams in charge so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting Minnechaug Golf Course. We hope you'll give us another try in the future.

Rainy day but wonderful course

May be difficult for beginners but very fun. Ended up driving through a beautiful neighborhood while looking for the last hole.

Connecticut Advisor

Conditioning Woes

A course that has always impressed me, Minnechaug has apparently suffered a setback—probably probably over the past three weeks—in course conditioning. The layout, which was in good condition the last time I played it on May 27, is now plagued by bare spots. These are most numerous in the landing areas of most of the fairways on the par-4’s and the lone five-par. Worse still, the rough tends to be very sketchy in many places—especially under the trees. Fringes around the greens had some patchiness, and the greenside rough was acceptable but uneven. The one true bright spot was the greens themselves, which are definitely being watered (as I witnessed) and were still in very good condition, and putted smoothly.
The problem with weak conditioning—when it reaches this stage—is that if begins to compromise the entire layout. A couple of examples: A) when I hit my second shot on the par-five third, off of a bare lie in the rough, my 5-hybrid landed on the right side of the fairway, but proceeded to bound uncontrollably on that entirely bare right side under a tree (it never would have gone even close to that far under normal conditions); and B) on the next fairway, I hit a smooth, controlled draw up the right side of the fairway, but it again rolled uncontrollably all the way over to the left side and into the left rough, where I was blocked on the approach by tall trees.

The bottom line is that the course does not play the way it was designed, and the excellent Cornish layout here is no longer really the Cornish layout. It’s just that simple. Any course in such shape invariably drops to fair or poor in playability (which is central and essential to a true experience).

So today this felt more like a practice area rather than a golf course. Now, I really like Minnechaug (it’s become a rota course for my son and I) and am fully expecting that it will make a return to form this fall under better conditions, and, of course, I’ll come back. I did notice that a lot of grass seed has been put down in the bare spots.

It’s worth noting that the course is not utterly burned out, as the photos I’ve taken show. In fact, a couple of the fairways are average to good overall. But I deliberately did not include the worst holes here—and there are three or four bad ones.

All told, it was still nice to get out and smack the golf ball around and work on my short game. And I enjoyed playing the beautiful final stretch of holes here, which are mostly in good shape. Everyone was pleasant in the pro shop, and Covid-19 precautions are certainly respected. Minnechaug was also quite crowded today: the parking lot was nearly full when I arrived, totally full when leaving.

So, this all adds up to a cautionary recommendation. What you’ll get out of playing here right now, until the course recovers, may well depend on your expectations.

Commented on 08/24/2020

Hi, and thanks for the feedback of your recent round with us! We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback to the teams in charge so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting Minnechaug Golf Course. We hope to see you again in the future.

Commented on 08/20/2020

Thank you for reviewing us. We see you rated the course 3-stars and are interested in learning what we can do to improve before your next round. Feel free to comment on this review or reach out to the team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Minnechaug Golf Course, and we hope to see you again soon.

Not What It Used to be

Course fairways have taken a beating with it being so hot. Used to be really nice and green; not so much.

Commented on 09/02/2020

Hi, we appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Please know that we are going to pass on your feedback to the teams in charge so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting Minnechaug Golf Course. We hope to see you again in the future.

Going downhill fast

Course has really gone downhill this year, and not because of the pandemic (they've done a nice job keeping the place open and functioning somewhat normal). The behavior and etiquette is now way below what you'd expect even at a cheap public course like this one. First of all the people in the golf shop are very friendly but they need to get someone at the front desk who knows how to pace the groups instead of just sending people out randomly. Foursomes that are walking should not be going out in front of twosomes in carts. Pair people up at busy times. And there's no point in having tee times if anyone can just show up and cut you off. Nothing like making a tee time then finding two groups on the tee in front of you that showed up no tee time and were told to just go out.

They also need to send someone over to the far holes occasionally just to keep things honest and moving. You've got people blaring music driving carts like crazy (check out the 8th green), playing 3-4 balls, looping around and playing holes multiple times, etc. I've seen a ranger on No. 5 a couple times who was perfectly friendly but doesn't seem willing to address pace of play issues. It should NEVER take 2:30+ to play nine holes here during the week.

I like playing here, just not worth the aggravation lately. Clean up these issues and this is a solid course at a great price.

Commented on 08/14/2020

Hi, we appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback to the teams in charge so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting Minnechaug Golf Course. We hope to see you again in the future.

Fairways

the fairways were burnt but this time of the year you have to expect that. we just looked for the nearest grass and put our ball there. greens were in great shape. can't beat the price and when you want to play a quick 9 yuo can usually get right on

Inconsistent conditions

The greens were well kept but the rest of the course was either sand or hard dirt. Barely any grass left on the fairways. Won't play here again

Commented on 08/10/2020