2.3

Fairways Blue Grass
Architect Donald Ross (1916) Donald Ross (1919) Timothy Gerrish

Carts Yes - $18

Single Allowed Yes

Pace of play in the league in which I play at this course is notoriously bad, though I don't think it's a reflection on the course or staff.

August at Shenny

Very enjoyable round. The high grass areas had been cut back a bit and it was much easier to find a wandering golf ball there.

Chaos, poor management

Can’t give this course a good review based on the chaos and overcrowding slow play.

While the greens are in good shape and the 16-17 holes command wonder views of the Long Island sound, the lack of a starter and any organization makes this course a nightmare to play.
Management allows cutting in on the tenth tee as everyone wants to play the 2 signature holes along the water. This creates a back log of foursomes that pushes you to your mental limits.
Renting a cart is futile as the cart paths and fairways are like the surface of the moon. Dips and pot holes require you drive at a snail’s pace, though you’re not going anywhere fast anyway because of the constant influx of foursomes in front of you.
Rates are reasonable. Course is constantly wet. Tee boxes are dangerously close to greens, putting you in Hackers sights.

Wake up and smell the coffee

For those of you looking for a perfectly manicured golf course you won't find it here. Stick with your stuffy CC and leave Shenny for the rest of us! I love this course, It's natural beauty, amazing views along the ocean ocean on the fishing holes and challenging par 3 and long par 4 on the front nine. Overall its a great layout with tons of charm and very receptive greens. The restaurant and bar is not fancy eithe,r but its a great place to cap off your day, excellent food, good selection of beers and friendly atmosphere!

Distinctive links-like course

Shenny is an old, quirky, unique, lovely course--not perfectly manicured, not long, not all the tee boxes in great shape. But it makes for a delightful day of golf. You start off hitting over a road, then you hit over a railroad line. Then there's the elevated mound with the green on top on number four. Meanwhile, there are very few trees and the place is wide open, with two holes near the end on the water--just a lovely finishing view. The front nine is a bit more interesting than the back, but there's challenge around the back nine greens. The conditions are not always perfect--hey, it's a public course. But in the winter, when I can only dream about golf, Shenny is the course I dream about playing.

An Absolute Gem

First time playing the course after hearing about it from my father, and despite it being about an hour and fifteen minutes from home, well well worth the trip. $35 for 18 holes walking was a total bargain for the course. It could be a lot better with a little TLC like some of the other reviews, although it hasn't rained here in a few months so that's somewhat understandable. Nice course for the most part, but the views from 16 fairway all the way to 17 green are worth the price in themselves. Somewhat slow play which was a bummer, but I completely recommend it and can't wait to go back and play over and over again! Worth the trip

Needs some TLC

The green were receptive and true. The fairways were just that....fair. The tee boxes and areas between were a complete mess. It's obvious that they aren't concerned with anything else except the greens. There's more to a course than that.....the devil is in the details.....make the course complete.

Fun course, great setting and very reasonable rates

We really enjoyed this course. The rough was a bit rough to ride on but fairways were ok and greens were good and challenging. We think it's a great value and the staff was very courteous and helpful

A little down on its heels

A fun layout but the course is really down on it's heels. The bunkers are awful and once you get off the fairways , There is no consistency in the grass. The greens were good and the views were excellent.
I would recommend it for a friend only because of the history of the course and the fact it's a Donald Ross.
The course needs a lot of work. It's open all year round which is a big plus.

nice course bad staff

from the first minute i arrived i was asked for my golf now confirmation number that i forgot to bring with me. with rudeness and a snicker we arent playing without that number.I said no problem lets just call golf now and get the number.you can call them not me im told.good thing i didnt forget my cell phone.he wont even help us find the phone number,i call solve the problem. then the ranger was so rude i will never come back but it is a funny story,he wanted to get off work so early,he allmost started a fist fight with my partner because he said he let us play two extra holes.I said what are you talking about we only played eighteen oh no he wanted to kick us off the course after sixteen holes because it was getting dark.i didnt drive 85 miles with three buddies to not finish our round and the course was wide open without our hundred dollar green fee the ranger would be out of a paycheck,he rushed us grabed my friends golf bag off our cart because we were unloading too slow my friend told him to get his hands off of his golf bag and that is when the swearing and insults started flying all most turning into a fistfight.the ranger was a big muscle weight lifter and has no business working in the customer service industry.Now i shut up!

punched greens

I think golf now/shenny should get together and let people know before buying a prepaid round that the greens had just been punched. I KNOW there is a golf now icon but seriously, nothin' worse than showing up for a competitive round with your boys and getting slapped in the face with poor conditions. Bad job on both ends. Good thing the weather was perfect and we had a couple stoogies.

Good course for the money.

Slow play but was told there was a tournament earlier. Fairly wide open course but still have to make some shots. Got to enjoy the sunset on holes 16 and 17 near the water which was very nice. Tees and rough could use some work

Friday 9/12/2014

Course was in good condition , Obviously the
lack of rain in the Northeast affected the course but not dramatically ..
I have played the course B4 and look to come back
next year ..

gary colello / oxford ct

Links type course w/3 holes on the water

Thought this would be a fast round (opening day NFL) but the abundance of walkers made for a long afternoon.
Course was in very good shape but some tee boxes were rock hard. nice layout with generous landing areas...scenery on water holes was worth the trip across the state. Will surely play again this fall.

Relaxed atmosphere

Nice course. Some dry spots. Pleasant overall. Nice view from the 17th hole. Sufficient selection of beverages and snacks

great day out at the shore

Took a friend who had lived all of his life in CT. but had never played there before. He was thrilled. The course was in good shape; challenging but fair greens, nice layout (no funk, quirky holes), open enough to hit away, with bunkers to make you think about your shots. And afterwards you can go find a nice place on the shore to eat. Already making plans to return.

Fast and Firm

Third time playing "Shenny" brought a friend and it was his first, course played fast and firm, greens in great shape and quick. Tee boxes VERY close to greens (and a few are in tough shape), making walking pretty easy and also making it a little uncomfortable for the approach shots that follow you. Great links style, definitely will play again. Par 3 fourth played into a steady wind and @190 to an upside-down bowl shaped green really hard hole. The one issue we had was we arrived early for an 11:45 tee time, chipped and putted then went in to check in, we were told we would be joining another twosome that had not arrived yet and when they did arrive the attendant would come get us. We went inside to the lounge and watched a little TV, came back out around 11:35 for time and was told that the twosome went out early with another group. So that put us alone with nothing but foursomes in front .We asked why you didn't come get us his response was "I didn't know you were in the lounge". We were just a little miffed. Our only saving grace was that when we were expressing our displeasure with the person behind the counter another twosome showed up for a later tee time and I asked if they want to go out now, with us and they agreed, thank god because it would have been a long day if that didn't happen.

Great greens

Fairways a bit beaten up. No one out there to speed up play. Poor yardage markers

Waterford, Connecticut
Old Lyme, Connecticut
Norwich, Connecticut
4.1927117647

Valid dates: Oct 10, 2019 - Oct 31, 2019
Golf Package Special for October starts at $199.00 for 1 or 2 golfers, Monday to Thursday. Golf included for each nights stay. Call 520-577-4092 to add additional golfers to the package.