Laurel View Country Club

1.9
1.5

Laurel View Country Club
Scorecard for Laurel View
Black M: 74.0/136 354 196 423 549 492 331 249 579 459 3632 334 561 184 286 480 429 425 180 389 3268 6900
Blue M: 71.8/131 325 173 395 530 459 320 213 549 434 3398 309 525 157 278 453 387 398 167 359 3033 6431
White M: 69.0/129 290 150 370 510 415 320 185 515 352 3107 309 500 147 278 453 362 368 167 314 2898 6005
Red M: 68.1/121 W: 71.8/131 280 99 270 443 407 282 121 482 346 2730 278 492 106 247 400 241 355 133 304 2556 5286

Year Built 1969
Architect Geoffrey Cornish (1969) Bill Robinson (1969)

2.6

Response from Laurel View Country Club on 10/10/2018:
Hello. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. We hope you'll give us another try in the near future. Thanks for playing Laurel View.

Fix this course

What used to be a good course is no more. Every sand trap was weeds and rocks . No sand. Tee boxes and greens poorly maintained.

Response from Laurel View Country Club on 09/25/2018:
Hello, Leo. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. We hope you'll give us another try in the near future. Thanks for choosing Laurel View.

Poor value for amount charged

Played this course for the 3rd. time and that would be the last. Travelled an hour and a half to come play due to a friend leaving nearby. The facility is dirty. The Bathroom is filthy with cobwebs, dirt everywhere, and light fixtures hanging down. there are no staffs on site or the course if something transpired. The Golf shop is a rundown room. The course itself is what it is. It is a shame that such a beautiful space is being managed this way. I was insulted for the price paid to play and the amenities received which is basically none. It is Heartbroken to see how filthy the property is. Will definitely saved my $50 and play somewhere else.

Response from Laurel View Country Club on 09/10/2018:
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We apologize that we did not provide you with the top-notch golf experience you were looking for. Please give us a call and request to speak with Matt Menchetti. We would like to make this right

First Time

I wish I could have played this course 20 years ago, as I bet it was one of the best in CT. The layout & design is amazing. It uses the CT countryside extremely well. However, the overall condition of the buildings, cart paths, etc. is not very good. Too bad...This course has some very memorable holes.

Response from Laurel View Country Club on 09/10/2018:
Thank you for providing very helpful feedback! We're working hard to improve conditions and we hope you'll return in the future for a better experience with us.

Review

The course could be a very nice course If it was maintained, for the price I played with 18 I can't complain I got a golf now hot deal for 20 dollars but I would not recommend paying more than that the bunkers were non playable as they were all over grown with grass and I arrived at the course early to be able to go to the driving range before my round but they were out of balls which I know happens but what I don't understand is how 4 hours after my round they still didn't have any balls for the range so in conclusion if you can get a hot deal or pay 20 dollars or less I'd go to this course but if not spend your money somewhere else

Response from Laurel View Country Club on 09/04/2018:
Hello. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. We appreciate your feedback, and we hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

Well it was only $30

This course isn’t the best maintained. The greens are in very poor shape. There are interesting elevations and some blind shots. They probably aren’t going to put money into the course so I probably won’t be back anytime soon.

Response from Laurel View Country Club on 09/04/2018:
Hello, Kent. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. We hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

Avoid at all costs

Man they have let this course go. The course conditions are deplorable. Greens are gross dead spots everywhere crab grass growing right in the greens. Bunkers are overgrown with plants and haven’t been raked all season it seems. Really sad, this course isn’t far away from closing down. I won’t be back, and wouldn’t even go if it was free.

Response from Laurel View Country Club on 09/04/2018:
Hello, Michael. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. We hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

STAY AWAY

This course has such a nice layout. I was terribly disappointed today. Sand traps are full of mud and grass. Fairways are like the rough at a nice course. Crab grass on greens, and tee boxes. Such a mess. Still haven’t cleaned up from the storm. Stay away until someone new buys it

Response from Laurel View Country Club on 08/22/2018:

Course on life support

I've played Laurel View for around 10 years now. We play several rounds there a year, as well as a small outing there at the end of the summer.

I've never been so disappointed with a course before. I ignored most of the other reviews because I have played there often. This is the worst its ever been. Hole 1 and 2 had burned out greens and ball marks all over. Dark black lines and crabgrass across the green.

As some of the other reviews pointed out, there are plenty of bare spots in the fairways, But the real shock didn't come until the 5th green. I didn't even putt. So much goose poop on the green I couldn't even find a line.

Sand traps, or concrete traps hadn't been touched in at least weeks, maybe a month. Crabgrass and other weeds regularly exceeded the sand to weed ratio.

I asked the guy at the desk and he kinda shrugged. He had heard it before, every day he said. He said feel free to contact the owner but thats not going to get anywhere.

We will be looking for a new venue for our outing....not worth a round here. The course is on life support, oh and i forgot to mention the grill is shut down. Can't see this lasting more than the year. Going to disappear or become a housing complex.

Bad shape

Unorganized staff, slow play, tee boxes barely have grass, greens are in bad shape and the bunkers are unplayable - they're clay traps, not sand traps.

Fun, challenging layout... Could be a great course if anybody bothered to maintain it

Response from Laurel View Country Club on 08/13/2018:
Hello. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. We hope you'll give us another try in the near future. Thanks for playing Laurel View Country Club.

This golf course used to be a gem. Beautiful layout. One of the challenging back nines anywhere. The course has gone to pot. Fairways are hardpan. Have to roll your ball to hit of grass on fairway. Greens are all diseased. Looks like animals or humans urinated all over then. Big ridges is almost every green. Its awful. Ive played there my entire life. Will never play there again. Thank you Matt Menchetti for destroying one of the best golf courses in the state. Shame on you.

Response from Laurel View Country Club on 08/13/2018:

Terrible course conditions

I didn’t believe the bad reviews when I read them. Don’t be like me. Believe them.

Pros: The course layout was challenging and the golf cart was nice and ran well. There weren’t many people on the course so there was no waiting on the group in front of us.

Cons: Absolutely everything else. The cart paths were horrible. Every tee box had high grass. The rough was really high. Not a manicured kind of high, like not cut in a few weeks kind of high but I’m not really complaining about that because my ball shouldn’t be in there anyway. The sand traps were full of everything except sand....rocks, grass and mud. The greens were the worst greens I’ve ever putt a ball on. Most looked had really long drag marks. They were so bad that they were littered with deep ball marks, I’m sure because the players didn’t care because they were so bad already.

I’m not a snobby golfer that plays on expensive courses. I play on average courses. With some upkeep this course could be really nice but after what I played on today, it looked almost beyond repair. The overall experience was extremely disappointing. I played my first and last round today at Laurel View Country Club.

Nice layout

This course has potential. Apparently, the city is not giving enough money to maintain it? The city should be proud to have such a golf course. Certainly the public, colleges, and schools can make use of it. It can also be a course for tournaments.

Response from Laurel View Country Club on 08/03/2018:
Hello, Marily. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. We hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

The coarse is in poor condition the greens are scared the fairways are not mowed the sand traps are hard. The coarse was in a lot better shape 2 months ago. So my question is why has this coarse gone bad?

Response from Laurel View Country Club on 08/03/2018:
Hello. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. We hope you'll give us another try in the near future. Thank you for playing Laurel View.
Fpettinato95
Commented On 08/04/2018

I will not be back anytime soon, I live out of state and was in town for that weekend. Would it suggest this course again.

No well maintained for the price

Cart Paths are horrible, greens are all beat up and 2nd cuts are as if they have never been cut. For the amount of money paid I will definitely suggest another course.

Response from Laurel View Country Club on 08/03/2018:

Nice course in need of work

This place is a great layout, especially the back 9. However it is in need of serious repair, especially the sand traps and the cart paths. Not a drop of water available (not even in the ball washers)

Response from Laurel View Country Club on 07/17/2018:
Hi knotritenaou, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We're sorry to hear the course conditions weren't up to expectations. We hope you reconsider returning for another round soon. Thanks for playing Laurel View Country Club!

Going downhill fast

Lack of maintenance main issue. Cart paths and bunkers are in poor shape. Crab grass everywhere. Several greens damaged from oil leak on mower.

Response from Laurel View Country Club on 07/17/2018:
Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We're sorry to hear the conditions of the course weren't up to expectations. We hope you reconsider returning for another round soon. Thanks for playing Laurel View Country Club.

SAVE YOUR MONEY

Course is in absolutely terrible shape...no money put into this course and falling apart, as well as the club house !!

Save your money and play elsewhere !!

Response from Laurel View Country Club on 07/17/2018:
Hi Scottyboy87, we're sorry to hear your round with us was anything short of 5-stars. We appreciate you giving us a shot and hope you reconsider giving us another chance in the future. Thanks for playing Laurel View Country Club.

(Lack of) Water Under The Bridge

If I can be honest, I've let this course fester for a few days before writing this review as I wanted my initial negative feelings to dissipate a bit before sitting down to write a review.

As a player with no home course, I like to play different courses around the state. So I was looking forward to Laurel View, as I look forward to every new course.

Let me start with the positives: The gentlemen in the pro shop was very nice. I have a CSGA PlayBook to save money at some of the state's courses, and he opted not to sign and said I could come back and play again for same price of $25 (with a cart).

Only after the round, did I realize why.

As for the course, it's tight on the back nine and quite a challenging layout. I thought my score would balloon significantly, but it didn't -- much to my surprise. Laurel View, I think, would be a good test even for the straightest of hitters if not for ....

The first negative: The range was closed. As an older golfer, I like to warm up and get a few swings in to loosen up the muscles and joints. On this day, though, the range was closed. Not a major issue, I suppose, but still. When you have a range and it's not open, it's a let down.

The bigger negatives: Throughout 18 holes on the course there is no water outside of the hazards. As in no drinking water and no ball washing water. In fact, most of the ball washers were broken.

Some of the fairways were very, very dry in spots and a handful of the greens (which did roll true and nice) had these odd brown stripes running to and fro over them).

I knew around the turn that I wouldn't be returning to Laurel because of the far from pristine conditions and lack of amenities.

Upon my departure, I met a man in the parking lot who asked me how things went. We talked about the course and I was honest with him in my critiques.

He then told me he plays there a lot and the owners are having a tough time with the town, which refuses to support the course.

As such, I admit I felt kind of bad about feeling so bad about the course I had just played.

So, in closing, I guess I'd say if you want to try a new course, that's quite challenging for a low price, Laurel View might be worth a shot. Just bring plenty of water and plenty of balls because you won't be able to clean any along the way.

Response from Laurel View Country Club on 07/19/2018: