2 reviews
2 reviews

Type Semi-Private/Municipal
Scorecard for Longshore Golf Course
Blue M: 68.4/120 W: 70.0/118 346 155 396 307 304 417 534 131 348 2938 521 207 289 205 405 177 388 351 414 2957 5895
White M: 67.1/118 W: 68.0/113 335 141 386 251 291 408 414 125 341 2692 487 157 262 151 397 140 332 287 384 2597 5289
Yellow M: 64.4/113 W: 68.8/117 281 145 331 257 287 382 479 115 267 2544 449 154 253 149 334 132 332 272 348 2423 4967
Orange M: 65.7/110 W: 68.0/113 259 140 313 182 269 352 414 106 257 2292 430 121 245 130 325 128 283 220 301 2183 4475

Year Built 1922
Fairways Rye Grass
Architect Orrin E. Smith (1922) A. John Harvey

Clubs No

Nice course, horrible experience with staff

I’m a past Division I player and have played the game since I was 5. I’ve worked at several courses over the years and have never encountered such rudeness as I have at this golf course.

The first time I played the starter gave us a hard time as to why we weren’t teeing off when there were clearly people in the fairway.

In the time since my shoulder has been injured and I have been unable to play. My little brother is visiting from Florida and I opted to walk the course with him. The starter immediately told me I was not allowed to be on the course and that I was a liability. He was extremely rude about it and made the situation very uncomfortable. I told him I’d never heard of such a rule and proceeded to walk along the road while later joining up with the group. I was later met by another gentleman who told me I was not allowed to be on the course and had been receiving several complaints from people. Mind you, I was walking with the group the entire time and was never in the line of fire of any player. I promptly walked off the course, in my 18 years of playing the game I’ve never experienced a situation like this.

Needless to say I will never be playing this course ever again due to my poor experience. It’s a shame that such a nice course has such rude staff. This type of customer service is unacceptable. If it was truly an issue for me to walk the course with my little brother than it could have been said and done in a better manner.

Course Has Been Dumbed Down

Longshore used to be a great course but in neglected condition. Now it is in much better condition, but has been turned into a basic muni course. When they rebuilt the bunkers, which was a beautiful job, they outright just removed a fourth of them, notably in locations where they were most prominent. Even worse, from an aesthetic standpoint, the beautiful sea grass that was abundant around the course has been removed, shifting the look and feel from ocean side to municipal track, all likely just to speed up play. Someday maybe the town will get this right.

Improving hidden gem

Locals will want this place to be kept quiet. It is really a great course considering the cost, location and improved course conditions. I would generally agree with the previous poster. The driving range could be a fantastic setup for at least 1 hole, yet the routing of the course and the need for parking for the massive catering business, marina, etc. would make this logistically difficult. The place is definitely improving. They seem to be finishing up some of the major work on the course. I would also say its time to blow up the golf clubhouse and put in a useful building without as much wasted space and a real locker room. It would be easy to keep the replacement in the same style as it is currently: understated with nostalgic feel.

I rated the staff as such because 1) they were not really present except for the ranger who mistook a gap in front of us for something we created rather than the 3 tee time gape that separated our 2 groups on the first tee! Mind you the group behind us started and remained over a hole behind us so nobody was waiting for anyone; we actually CLOSED the gap with the group in front of us. It was as if he needed to justify his authority on the course. I rated the conditions as such based on what a municipal course would be able to maintain. While they can't compete with private clubs, there were a lot of footprints in the bunkers (maybe the ranger should monitor that?) and other minor areas for improvement. The amenities are amazing with a pool, tennis & paddle courts, marina, winter rink, restaurant and inn! All at a town facility! I am looking forward to playing here again.

Basic but scoreable

After prior staff let things go (literally, the entire course died two years ago), things are looking on the up for Longshore. The fairways are in solid shape, the greens are rolling faster than I remember them (they used to be comically slow), and I'm impressed with what they've done in such little time.

If you havent played the course, it wont knock your socks off. Under 6,000 yards from the tips, the layout is rather unremarkable. This is a better course for those looking to get out and practice their game on a scoreable course, or live nearby and want to squeak in a quick round.

One quick rant: what the heck were the designers thinking? The best piece of land on the property is about 200 yards that runs right along an inlet to the sound. It could be the location of two spectacular golf holes. Instead, they put the driving range there, to which they devote little or no upkeep. One day when this place wins the lotto, it will do a complete redesign of the back 9 and turn the range into a water hole.

In an event - kudos to the course management and staff for bringing this place back to life.

Westport, Connecticut
East Norwalk, Connecticut
Norwalk, Connecticut
Wilton, Connecticut

Valid dates: Jun 18, 2019 - Aug 31, 2019
Fling and Swing! Golf Package for 2, includes 1 round of golf for 2 daily, a resort fee applies, 50 USD resort credit per night.
Sewailo Golf Club Stay & Play Hotel Package