The Windham Club is tucked away in Connecticut's northeast corner, enjoying a classic New England setting. Formerly known as Willimantic C.C. and The University Club of Connecticut, the original nine holes opened in 1922 and the championship golf course that exists now was completed in the 1960s. Like many of the golf courses built during that time, The Windham Club's greens are smaller than on modern golf courses and they are subtly contoured. The traditional layout also features narrow fairways lined with mature oak trees and there are three that are bordered by natural spring ponds. Bunkers are strategically placed on 15 holes. The front nine provides some scoring opportunities, which you'll need before facing the tougher back nine.

The Golf Club at Windham

Year Built 1922
Golf Season April - December

Clubs No

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Accepted

Very nice. Well worth the drive.

Played The Windham Club for the first time yesterday, really enjoyed and highly recommend it. Although located “in the sticks” it’s an easy, quick drive from a variety of state roads. As a public course, their rates are reasonable and many discount golf programs list this course. The course, built in 1922, with some holes redesigned within the past 5 years, has wide, mostly evergreen lined fairways, large greens and just enough bunkers and some ponds to make it challenging. The layout is split by an occasionally used public road that has to be driven on or crossed several times during a round. The road also has to be played over on several holes but only from the back tees.

For first-time players most of the holes are easy to see how-to-play but some need a look-see or local knowledge. It would be nice if the scorecard had individual hole layouts as there are some holes with hidden dangers. The course layout meanders all over the place so attention must be paid to directional signs to the next hole. Cart paths, where needed, are mostly gravel and on many holes the transition from cart path to fairway was quite bumpy.

As for the staff, they were friendly and professional. One met us at the bag drop area and loaded our bags onto carts just like private club do. The clubhouse has a decent golf shop, nice bar and very large banquet facility, which was in use the day we played.

Finally, I’d like to inform readers that some older reviews stated the fairways had boulders in them. The only boulders I noticed were in the rough. Also, my GPS worked fine on the course.

Great Value

Have played this course since family membership in the 60's, ( 9 holes) then business membership in the 80's( new back nine) and now retired (new ownership with incredible challenges on 15, 16,17 and 18) and loving it. It's now the best. A 16 handicap like myself can easily double every one of those holes and end up at the bar, wishing I had a little more mental stamina.
Green are smooth and true. rough is thick, fairways are narrow but not too long. A good short game can really help. The layout is mixed because some holes are new and others are from the 20's. The course rating and slope has recently been changed to 70.4 slope 125 for Green Tees. That seems fair.
New pro staff (Bryan Mooney) is excellent. Good control and communication.
Looking forward to 2019.

First & Last Time

Terrible Pace of Play. 5 hours 20 minutes to play mid-day on a Thursday. Starter told me they let out a few "extra" players who happened to show up in the morning and that the pace would be "a little slow". This place was mind numbing and there weren't any Player Assistants (Rangers) on the course to be found anywhere. I only paid $24 for this round and it wasn't even worth that...almost walked off after 14 holes. And, I did play really well, so this isn't sour grapes!

Great day!

Did a Hot Deal today. Haven’t been here since last year and try to hit it a few times a year. We got soaked with storms but had a blast. The course was in fantastic shape. Best I’ve seen it! Rain help many things and golf course is one of them. Staff was friendly and helpful. No issues here. They are working on getting cart paths fixed etc. greens were nice. Little slow due to rain but ran true. Be back soon!

Must have rocks in my head...pun intended

I love golf. I am sure somebody loves this course. No bashing here. Taking 15 minutes for input. period...
pace of play, poor. Has to do with a 4 hr round vs 5. Blind shots are ok.
The scorecards were incorrect.
GPS did not work here.
The layout needs serious restructuring. WHY? One of the holes I went to the right at a bunker that had multiple anthills of approx 4 inches high. OK. now what? I see another group on a course with 15-22 handicaps off a little to my right. Immediately left. U kidding, insurance liability big time. A moderate shank and I am beaned. Had that happen in Boston, ended up w a huge welt on my calf. Believe it was hole 1 or 2.
Conditions: rename this place Fred Flintstone Golf. Boulders in fairways. A complete disaster. On one of the holes, I hit pay dirt. Submerged rock under my ball. Playing partner heard it. I take excellent care of my clubs.
Carts were filthy. Plain and simple. What else, pray tell? After 6/7 holes, cart died. OK, staff responded and were nice. No moaning on my part. After couple minutes, the cart was riding sidesaddle. #60. Reported to clubhouse. $15 for this cart?
Value: What do u think?
Layout is blind shots all over the place. No GPS and a fibbing unreadable scorecard. Updates needed for those who want to throw their $$$ away.
Waited 15 minutes to order a lousy beer. Enuf...
Final thought: I love golf and mean no disrespect to owners, club pro and staff. Place needs serious clean-up. StAY on fairway with carts. Felt like wagon train. Cart 60 needs to be removed. I am a cart guy at a club. 75 carts are super clean. Get some pride. Enuf

Commented on 09/12/2018

Wow! I play here every week - course is in the best shape it's been and I think the layout is relatively challenging in comparison to other courses in the area and fun. I'm sorry about the cart situation and pace of play being slower...but jeez talk about crazy exaggeration on all the other points! Sounds like you just finished a round at Augusta before visiting Windham.

Great improvement

I've played this course for several years and this is the best conditions I've ever seen. Hats off to the maintenance staff as I've never seen such lush fairways and rough here. Greens were a little long but still had good pace overall. Hope to see it continue improving.

Go somewhere else

Played a scramble tournament for Uconn Club Hockey. Didn't expect much but wow. All groups were put on front 9. Possibly due to it not being a large tournament. But they did not organize the group well at all as there were 2 somes mixed in the groups of mostly 4somes. Tee boxes and fairways were fair at best. Off the fairways was usually hard pan or roots if you were lucky. Greens were aerated recently. Maybe a week ago??. Could only imagine what they were like mid summer with no rain. Basically this course can only get better. Would never pay to play here. prices shown online are not worth it at all. Muni-goat track for sure

Complete disappointment

After reading many reviews on GN that stated this course was really nice and coming around, I decided to take the plunge and drive over an hour to try it out. I booked an early afternoon tee time with two empty tee times on each side of mine, thinking I'd get out with no traffic.

When I arrived a the course, I was told there was a twosome ahead of me (two teenagers) and I could either play with them or wait. I elected to wait, which started out fine. They teed off, and I waited until they exited the 1st green before teeing off myself, since there was nobody behind me. Played the first hole, looked ahead to the next hole and saw the teenagers on the green. However, now there was an old man and a middle aged woman wandering around the fairway hacking the ball all over the place. I waited patiently to see what was going on, and after 10 minutes the woman finally made it on the green and the old man was driving all over the place in the rough in the cart. I wondered how these two got between me and the teenagers. So, I tee off and ride out to my ball where I encounter the man, who informs me that this is his 89th birthday and his daughter is playing for the first time. Good for him, I thought. He said they let the kids play through, recognizing that they were holding things up.

Moved on to 3rd hole, wait for the teenagers to clear the green. Tee off, play the hold. Move to 4th hole where the kids are waiting on a twosome walking ahead of them. Slow as can be. The kids wait 10 - 12 minutes before teeing off and they are wild, shots all over the place. So, I wait, and wait, and wait until I see them hit their shots into the green and realize they are clear enough for me to tee off. I tee off, find my ball, and wait, and wait, and wait again for them to clear the green. I see the walking twosome ahead of them, and now there is a threesome coming up behind me and about to lap the old man and his daughter.

The whole front nine was slow as can be. No ranger, nobody pairing up to speed up play, and guys hacking it all over the place. I got so frustrated that I left after nine holes in 2:30. That is with a foursome and two twosomes ahead of me. Terrible pace of play.

The course itself is rather plain. Tee boxes and greens in good condition, in between rather average. The rough was long and uneven, and looked like it had not been cut/groomed in a long time. Cart paths were dust bowls with ruts and rocks everywhere. There are no visible 150 markers to be seen anywhere, and the course layout is not exactly clear with the sparse signage. The clubhouse and locker rooms are ancient and rather poor condition. No ranger, no beverage cart visible. A bunch of loudmouths playing the adjacent back 9 holes were screaming and hooting and hollering and making a big commotion.

I guess if you are a local, it is an OK track to knock the ball around, but in my opinion it is not worth investing any time to travel very far to play here. A $30 course all day long. Very disappointing experience.

Great layout, excellent greens

This course was in excellent shape. The greens were consistent and receptive. Played the entire 18 holes in 3 hours.

Getting Better All The Time!

This place is really starting to come together. Every time I play it seems to get better. Pace of play was good and fairways and greens were well watered and green even in the drought we are having thIs summer. Staff was very friendly. Keep up the good work!

Close to home has come a long way

I really like this golf course it's a very decent shape the only thing it really needs is good sand for the bunkers

Enjoyed playing for the first time and looking forward to playing again soon. Layout was a little different but the holes were nicely shaped. Fairways were in good condition and some holes needed work if you go into the rough. Greens were very true and in very good condition. You'll enjoy your round at this course, My wife said the ladies locker room was beautiful and the renovations here are really coming along.

Excellent greens

All the changes to the coarse are starting to come together. Greens roll true and at a quick pace. The new holes are challenging but fun. Off the fairway needs work but after all the construction it takes time.

Well Maintained

Enjoyed the course so much I played it again the following day. The conditions were fantastic and I'll be heading again to Windham again this weekend. A real fun course.

awsome! !!

I haven't seen this course in such great shape in years! Way to go! It shows when they are putting their hearts into the course........

good value.

Good value. Greens a little slow. Fairways good. Mix of long and short holes with two par threes we hit driver.

Poor weather

Improving and Challenging

The owners are obviously putting some dollars and effort to improve the course. It's still a work in progress, but it is a stern test of golf. I was a member here years ago and I really enjoy the new layout. Keep up the good work. DR

Baltic, Connecticut