Windham Club

Clubs: No

Driving range: No

Dress code: Proper golf attire required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Accepted

The Windham Club is tucked away in Connecticut's northeast corner, enjoying a classic New England setting. Formerly known as Willimantic C.C. and The University Club of Connecticut, the original nine holes opened in 1922 and the championship golf course that exists now was completed in the 1960s. Like many of the golf courses built during that time, The Windham Club's greens are smaller than on modern golf courses and they are subtly contoured. The traditional layout also features narrow fairways lined with mature oak trees and there are three that are bordered by natural spring ponds. Bunkers are strategically placed on 15 holes. The front nine provides some scoring opportunities, which you'll need before facing the tougher back nine.

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs   Great for locals walkers beginners   Challenges include bunkers elevation changes   Great for drinks patio dining

"Must have rocks in my head...pun intended"

jleone60's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/14/2017

I love golf. I am sure somebody loves this course. No bashing here. Taking 15 minutes for input. period...

pace of play, poor. Has to do with a 4 hr round vs 5. Blind shots are ok.

The scorecards were incorrect.

GPS did not work here.

The layout needs serious restructuring. WHY? One of the holes I went to the right at a bunker that had multiple anthills of approx 4 inches high. OK. now what? I see another group on a course with 15-22 handicaps off a little to my right. Immediately left. U kidding, insurance liability big time. A moderate shank and I am beaned. Had that happen in Boston, ended up w a huge welt on my calf. Believe it was hole 1 or 2.

Conditions: rename this place Fred Flintstone Golf. Boulders in fairways. A complete disaster. On one of the holes, I hit pay dirt. Submerged rock under my ball. Playing partner heard it. I take excellent care of my clubs.

Carts were filthy. Plain and simple. What else, pray tell? After 6/7 holes, cart died. OK, staff responded and were nice. No moaning on my part. After couple minutes, the cart was riding sidesaddle. #60. Reported to clubhouse. $15 for this cart?

Value: What do u think?

Layout is blind shots all over the place. No GPS and a fibbing unreadable scorecard. Updates needed for those who want to throw their $$$ away.

Waited 15 minutes to order a lousy beer. Enuf...

Final thought: I love golf and mean no disrespect to owners, club pro and staff. Place needs serious clean-up. StAY on fairway with carts. Felt like wagon train. Cart 60 needs to be removed. I am a cart guy at a club. 75 carts are super clean. Get some pride. Enuf

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/01/2016
Previously played Used cart Cold weather Verified Purchaser

"Great improvement"

livingaj's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/10/2016

I've played this course for several years and this is the best conditions I've ever seen. Hats off to the maintenance staff as I've never seen such lush fairways and rough here. Greens were a little long but still had good pace overall. Hope to see it continue improving.

"Go somewhere else"

Mike8818819's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/02/2016

Played a scramble tournament for Uconn Club Hockey. Didn't expect much but wow. All groups were put on front 9. Possibly due to it not being a large tournament. But they did not organize the group well at all as there were 2 somes mixed in the groups of mostly 4somes. Tee boxes and fairways were fair at best. Off the fairways was usually hard pan or roots if you were lucky. Greens were aerated recently. Maybe a week ago??. Could only imagine what they were like mid summer with no rain. Basically this course can only get better. Would never pay to play here. prices shown online are not worth it at all. Muni-goat track for sure

Course Layout: Poor

"Complete disappointment"

HillaryforPrison's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/17/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 9 holes Excellent weather

After reading many reviews on GN that stated this course was really nice and coming around, I decided to take the plunge and drive over an hour to try it out. I booked an early afternoon tee time with two empty tee times on each side of mine, thinking I'd get out with no traffic.

When I arrived a the course, I was told there was a twosome ahead of me (two teenagers) and I could either play with them or wait. I elected to wait, which started out fine. They teed off, and I waited until they exited the 1st green before teeing off myself, since there was nobody behind me. Played the first hole, looked ahead to the next hole and saw the teenagers on the green. However, now there was an old man and a middle aged woman wandering around the fairway hacking the ball all over the place. I waited patiently to see what was going on, and after 10 minutes the woman finally made it on the green and the old man was driving all over the place in the rough in the cart. I wondered how these two got between me and the teenagers. So, I tee off and ride out to my ball where I encounter the man, who informs me that this is his 89th birthday and his daughter is playing for the first time. Good for him, I thought. He said they let the kids play through, recognizing that they were holding things up.

Moved on to 3rd hole, wait for the teenagers to clear the green. Tee off, play the hold. Move to 4th hole where the kids are waiting on a twosome walking ahead of them. Slow as can be. The kids wait 10 - 12 minutes before teeing off and they are wild, shots all over the place. So, I wait, and wait, and wait until I see them hit their shots into the green and realize they are clear enough for me to tee off. I tee off, find my ball, and wait, and wait, and wait again for them to clear the green. I see the walking twosome ahead of them, and now there is a threesome coming up behind me and about to lap the old man and his daughter.

The whole front nine was slow as can be. No ranger, nobody pairing up to speed up play, and guys hacking it all over the place. I got so frustrated that I left after nine holes in 2:30. That is with a foursome and two twosomes ahead of me. Terrible pace of play.

The course itself is rather plain. Tee boxes and greens in good condition, in between rather average. The rough was long and uneven, and looked like it had not been cut/groomed in a long time. Cart paths were dust bowls with ruts and rocks everywhere. There are no visible 150 markers to be seen anywhere, and the course layout is not exactly clear with the sparse signage. The clubhouse and locker rooms are ancient and rather poor condition. No ranger, no beverage cart visible. A bunch of loudmouths playing the adjacent back 9 holes were screaming and hooting and hollering and making a big commotion.

I guess if you are a local, it is an OK track to knock the ball around, but in my opinion it is not worth investing any time to travel very far to play here. A $30 course all day long. Very disappointing experience.

"Great layout, excellent greens"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/31/2016

This course was in excellent shape. The greens were consistent and receptive. Played the entire 18 holes in 3 hours.

"Getting Better All The Time!"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/12/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

This place is really starting to come together. Every time I play it seems to get better. Pace of play was good and fairways and greens were well watered and green even in the drought we are having thIs summer. Staff was very friendly. Keep up the good work!

"Close to home has come a long way"

hiranger84's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/30/2016

I really like this golf course it's a very decent shape the only thing it really needs is good sand for the bunkers

"Nice course"

Don2060053's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/28/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Enjoyed playing for the first time and looking forward to playing again soon. Layout was a little different but the holes were nicely shaped. Fairways were in good condition and some holes needed work if you go into the rough. Greens were very true and in very good condition. You'll enjoy your round at this course, My wife said the ladies locker room was beautiful and the renovations here are really coming along.

"Excellent greens"

blacktz12z's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/16/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

All the changes to the coarse are starting to come together. Greens roll true and at a quick pace. The new holes are challenging but fun. Off the fairway needs work but after all the construction it takes time.

"Well Maintained"

streetfleet1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Enjoyed the course so much I played it again the following day. The conditions were fantastic and I'll be heading again to Windham again this weekend. A real fun course.

"awsome! !!"

goulmi's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/06/2016

I haven't seen this course in such great shape in years! Way to go! It shows when they are putting their hearts into the course........

"good value."

rocketloy1's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/04/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Good value. Greens a little slow. Fairways good. Mix of long and short holes with two par threes we hit driver.

"Improving and Challenging"

Bangkokdave's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/25/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Poor weather Verified Purchaser

The owners are obviously putting some dollars and effort to improve the course. It's still a work in progress, but it is a stern test of golf. I was a member here years ago and I really enjoy the new layout. Keep up the good work. DR

"vastly improved course"

sgtsatan's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/22/2015
Previously played Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

I have played this course several times over the years. It had deteriorated quite a bit over time. This year, the new owner has infused fresh money and vastly improved the course, changing holes, extending some, really well done

"Single rider"

Raprack73's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/03/2015
Previously played Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Had a great day overall.

Showed up early, checked in, inquired about whether I would be paired up and received a you can do whatever you want response. Since I was visiting relatives nearby I decided to play as a single.

Made it to the 16th hole before being backed up by a foursome. Made great time and had a great afternoon with my niece and nephews later that day.

I must have offended someone along the way. Not sure who, but now the course is no longer offering single reservations. As a single golfer this bothers me. I've showed up early and the golfers had already teed off, and unless the staff has made it a point to pair up the foursome, I have usually played with whoever was immediately available or alone. I feel perhaps I should apologize to whoever I had offended. I had a great day but must have trampled upon someones shoes at some point along the way.

The course was nice. The greens were a little rough from their method of aeration. It looks like they use a raking method which leaves rows on the greens. Still very playable. The fairways were exceptional. I enjoy the holes and the new layout mixes up the back nine and makes the course quite enjoyable. A couple of new dogleg lefts were awkward. It's too easy to drive it straight through the fairway. The new 17th par 5 will be quite a challenge now that I know the layout. No slope or course rating yet.

"Windham Club"

bobjoyce27's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/14/2015
Previously played Played as a single Used cart Played 9 holes Fair weather Verified Purchaser

New owners have put money into the course and it shows. New tee boxes on some holes..They've extended 11 and 17...Personally, 17 needs more seasoning and should have waited opening it till' spring. But it will be a challenging par 5...Still work to do, but course headed in the right direction.

"Windham of change"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/05/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Called Tom at Pro shop BEFORE I booked on GolfNow and he said the new course changes were updated on GPS devices...SADLY that was NOT the case. As a 20 HDCP who trying to improve this was an issue. I have a bushnell watch and my buddy has a Garmin....NEITHER were 100%...I would say after hole 3 they were all off. I still shot an 89 with 6 pars.

The new layoff is promising. Still a lot of ground under repair...I will wait until spring to play here again. $43 for 18 holes + cart was slightly more than what I would call a bargain, but not bad. Figuring out where the next hole was with the paper signs was also a challenge. I would give it time....I also said that after I played here in May.

Scott in Groton

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Great staff"

brucelowry615's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/04/2015

Lot of work has been done on the course. New layout. Cleared many trees from the course.

"Good Course - quick easy round"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/09/2015

I grew up playing this course and always enjoy it. It's nice to see someone paying attention to it again.

The pace of play was quick, the cource is in decent condition. The level of difficulty is appropriate for most amateurs.