Barnsley Resort

Fairways Bermuda
Greens Champion Bermuda
Architect Jim Fazio

Birmingham Advisor

I did not anticipate how cool the “resort” aspect of this place would be. I wish I hadn’t made this a quick day trip. Would have loved to explore a little bit. This would be a nice place to do a small buddies trip or a couples weekend getaway that includes some golf.

This was my first visit, and while I am sure the place is swanky in the spring and summer, after playing it, Barnsley is a really good autumn golf course. Spectacular changes in the leaves on the surrounding hills frame drastic elevation changes throughout most of the course.

Due to temps in the mid 40s, I had the entire course to myself, which was a little soft due to recent rains. You are eased in with a couple of open dog-leg par 4s before you are exposed to a lengthy par 3 at the third.

I’ve seen a lot written about the collection of par 3s at the Fazio course at Barnsley. Not saying they aren’t good holes, but I think the fact that two of the four are 90-foot drops to the landing area is what gets people most excited. They are fun, but I don’t know if I’d go so far as to say “Best in NoGa.” Admittedly, I have a smaller sample size in this part of the state.

I thought the par 5s were real birdie opportunities. They aren’t overly long from the blue tees and bigger hitters should reach most of them in two if they are in command of their golf ball. The fairways are expansive and there are no tricked up landing areas, so conventional players won’t have a problem setting up a wedge approach. The par 4s play a little longer in most cases due to the aforementioned elevation changes. I think these brawny par 4s are the real challenge of the course. Playing them well are the key that will unlock a good score at the end of the round.

The greens were very pure and down-grain putts could get away from you.

The bunkering - both greenside and framing fairways were not overdone. They are, however, deep.

What I struggled most with was chipping and pitching. Closely-mown areas surround the greens before giving way to traditional light rough. Yet, every lie I encountered seemingly was into the grain. If you’ve ever chipped into the grain, you know what I’m talking about: wedges want to dig in and get stuck. You really have to use the club’s bounce here to navigate them well.

My favorite holes were the short par-4 fifth, which offers aggressive options off the tee, and the par-5 ninth that plays back toward the lake and clubhouse.

The practice area is top-notch. Good, expansive range with a separate chipping area. The pro shop is very nice with upscale brands. Loved the vibe in the clubhouse.

First-timer tip: Shell out $10 for a yardage book in the pro shop. There is no GPS on the cart or diagrams of holes on the scorecard or on tee boxes, so it will come in handy.

Great challenge and condition

I have been playing this course for many years. Always in great condition. The layout is very challenging. You owe it to yourself to play this Fazio course!

Georgia Advisor

AWESOME Course - Great Conditions - Beautiful Place

I have played Barnsley Resort course several times. Every time I play the course I love the place more and more. It is by far the BEST course I have played in N. Georgia.

The greens are usually lightning fast and a true test and challenge. The greens were recently aerated, but are recovering very nicely, so with the recent aeration, the greens were rolling regular speed for any other course. The course is in great condition (fairways, bunkers, tee boxes, etc.). The course has the prettiest set of par three courses anywhere in the state (including Augusta National). The views and elevation changes from the par three holes are spectacular.

If you have the chance and time, go play Barnsley Resort. You will NOT regret or be disappointed. Just be ready to have your A game with your putter as the greens are super fast and a real challenge, but roll true and fair.

Pro style!

If you wanna see what it’s like for the pros...book Barnsley! Lightning fast greens and lengthy from tips! Real challenge! Awesome course!!

Great for hot deal price-$56

Normally this course is overly expensive but we found a great hot deal rate and made the drive. The greens had little slits in them almost like pre aeration marks but have no idea why as we were told aeration is happening in the next couple days. Anyways, course is in great shape and the speed of the greens didn’t bother us. However they were quick but true. I wish they had a course map or layout as some tee shots were swayed by looks instead of what you could actually hit...otherwise a fun round.

Great course...Greens unfair

Great resort and the fairways are in great condition. The greens are another story. The greens were so fast that I would categorize them as tricked up, The greens would not hold shots and if you missed the put the ball would roll of the green. I have played golf for many years on many golf courses and this was the fastest that I have ever played. Combine that with the length of the course and it was unplayable. Great place but the condition of the greens completely took the joy out of the game.

Worth the drive (From ATL)

IMPORTANT: I played this course for $0 Last year I purchased a "Green Card" from 680TheFan which allowed me to play 5 courses for $100, including Barnsley Gardens.

The drive in is fairly scenic and a bit windy down some GA backroads. You come to a clearing and see the Barnsley grounds and part of the front 9 as you drive into the resort. There is a security guard, where you simply tell them "I have a tee-time", and they allow you in.

The course is right beside the southern style rental homes, which add to the aesthetic as you drive in. The parking lot is nothing special, but the vibe is ultra laid back anyways so it's no biggie.

The clubhouse has a nice restaurant, bar, and pro-shop. The range is decent. There are Titleist ProV1 Practice balls and you can hit off mats or grass. There is also a putting/chipping green.

The entire course is well groomed, tee-boxes are green, fairways are smooth and often quite wide, greens and bunkers play true, and there are plenty of elevation/angle changes throughout.

This was one of the most relaxing rounds I've had. If you can find a good deal, take it. If you already have deep pockets then do yourself a favor and make the drive.

Best public course in North Georgia!

This is the best public golf course in North Georgia, and I played them all! The first and second holes are fairly benign dogleg lefts that ease you into the round, then the par 3 3rd at 205 yards from the tips is where it starts to get fun. From the tips the course is just short of 7200 yards, and there are no “goofy golf” holes here. No holes where you wonder if the designer took the afternoon off, or didn’t know what to do with the hole. I’ve played this course five or six times a year every year for the past 15, and love it every time!

Great course, will be back

First timer on this course and loved it. Can’t complain about anything besides maybe the lack of range balls. Besides that, great overall experience on a tough course.

Nice greens, well kept fairways, nice layout

One of the best courses I've played in the Atlanta area. Course is laid out well to make you hit certain shots. Tee boxes for whatever difficulty you want to make it. Fairways were well kept and you probably won't have too many flat lies. Greens are also well maintained and some of the best I've seen even early in the season.

Beautiful place

Record rains have most courses in really soggy shape and little roll. This course was in better shape than I expected. Plays tough, not an easy round for me

Dissapointment

So excited to get back to Barnsley Gardens only to find the greens were sooooo slow and after 3 days of sunshine the course was wet and CARTPATH ONLY.
The staff were friendly and checkin went without a hitch.
No one informed me of CARTPATH ONLY until I saw a sign on the first tee box.
It seemed the greens had not been mowed in weeks.
Overall, very dissapointed in course conditions and this really put a sunder on my round.
Would presently not recommend this course to anyone until they get it in playing shape.
Has been a very nice course in the past to play.

Great Course....Little different golfing in late February

Being from michigan(not much golf here until April most years if we are lucky)So.me and my wife decided to stop in Georgia to golf on our way to Florida and stumbled on Barnsley due to a good hot deal price....They said they have had ALOT of rain early this season. We were fortunate to hit there between rain storms with low 60's temp...lucky us...but we were informed it was cart path only.Well understood. The staff was VERY friendly and greeted us warmly.This is a resort type enviroment....From the range thru the course it was first class!!...The ONLY WEIRD part for us from the midwest...the fairways were brown and Dormant and they paint the greens so as to make them more visible..a different look to say the least...but after playing we still give this a 5 star rating and were left wondering what it would be like once everything "greens" up to normal...Even this early one could tell the greens were fast and had subtle breaks that were a bit hard to see until after you had hit your putt. So a little extra time on the practice green would help put your mind in perspective

Great Course!

Best Hot Deal in NW Georgia!
Greens in excellent shape on par with Pinetree Country Club.
Course drains well and was playable with only a couple fairways soggy.
Beautiful scenery... well worth the trip.

Beautiful track

Beautiful place. Very fun course. Slick greens.

If you’re playing on a week day, call the pro shop and ask about corporate groups. I played by myself and got behind a group of 8 foursomes and it’s tough to bounce around on the front 9.

If there’s no Corp group, then you’ll cruise through and have a wonderful time.

Valid dates: Dec 05, 2019 - Nov 01, 2020