Sugar Creek Golf Club

1.4592000000 1.5 stars from 5 (173)

Practice bunker: Yes

Dress code: Proper attire is required.
Credit cards accepted: Visa, American Express, MasterCard

Location is convenient to the city near the airport in the 'burbs   Great for locals walkers beginners   Challenges include narrow fairways bunkers water hazards   Great for watching the game

"Nobody should be allowed to play here."

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/03/2017

Looks more like a cow pasture. Fairways grass is at least 6inches high with season long clippings left there. The greens, hahaha, they're a joke. They ARENT PUTTABLE!

If you like playing to lose balls in there fairway, this is your go to place. They should be embarrassed to let anyone play. Needs 2+ years of maintenance at least to make it any kind of worth it. Please, learn from my mistake and stay clear of this course

Course Layout: Poor

Response from Sugar Creek Golf Club on 09/06/2017:

Hello Dalton, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Sugar Creek Golf Club, in the Atlanta area. We are sorry to hear that our course was in poor condition when you played. We are happy that you brought this to our attention and appreciate your feedback. Thank you for playing with us, and we hope to earn your business again soon.

"Awful"

Bpatbend's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/29/2017

Didn't know much about the course upon booking a Saturday morning tee time via GolfNow. After playing two holes, going back into the clubhouse, and asking for a refund, I honestly am shocked that GolfNow has this course listed on its app/website. It's UNPLAYABLE. The grass is out of control, the tee boxes unmarked, and the greens are nearly non-existent. I kid you not, four guys who are decent at golf collectively lost five balls in the first two holes... in the FAIRWAY. I'm not kidding, after we realized it wasn't going to get much better, we resorted to going back in and asking for a refund, and thankfully, the man working was kind enough and understood how bad the track was, that he gave us all a full refund. The fact that it costs $30 to play a round here is laughable. If kept the way it is, it should be free of charge for anyone to go out there and hit some balls. I wish GolfNow would refund my $16 booking fee. I don't usually leave reviews but feel this is necessary.

Course Layout: Poor

Response from Sugar Creek on 08/04/2017:

Patrick, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Sugar Creek. We apologize for the lack of conditions. We are going through a tough transition period. We hope that you will give us the chance to earn your business again.

"Worst golf course ever"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/29/2017

I'm not surprised that this is a golf course owned by Dekalb County government. It was an embarrassment and is without a doubt the worst course I've ever seen. I believe an adequate description would be that of a golf course in New Orleans one week after hurricane Katrina. Didn't even finish the round. Got a refund/credit

From Golfnow.

Course Layout: Poor

Response from Sugar Creek Golf & Tennis Club on 08/04/2017:

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Sugar Creek Golf. We are sorry to hear that your experience was not ideal. We are going through a tough transition period and appreciate your feedback. We hope that you will give us the chance to earn your business again.

"No longer a golf course."

Plays:  Twice a year

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/29/2017

I was very disappointed. This was the 1st golf course I played, back in the early 90's. We attempted to play only 9 hole, but could only play the 1st. (Condition of the course was misleading). The fairways were roughs and the greens were fairways. Grass hasn't been cut for months. Would lose balls in fairway. Trees were cut down laying in the middle of the fairways. It's was a big waste of money.

Course Layout: Poor

Response from Sugar Creek Golf & Tennis Club on 08/04/2017:

Chip, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Sugar Creek Golf & Tennis Club. We are going through a tough transition period, which explains why our conditions are not ideal. We sincerely apologize that you had a less than pleasant experience. We hope that you will give us the chance to earn your business again soon in the Atlanta area.

"Course poorly maintained"

Gerald9243596's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/26/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Condition of course appears totally neglected.

Fairway grass high, trees blocking cart path, and greens nearly bare.

Response from Sugar Creek on 07/31/2017:

Hello Gerald, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Sugar Creek in the Atlanta area. We are sorry to hear that the course may not have been in the best shape when you played and we appreciated your feedback so that further improvements can be made. Thank you for playing with us and we hope to earn your business again soon.

"Poor Maintenance"

Jason7001736's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/23/2017

Attempted to play the course on a Sunday. The grass looked as if it had not been cut in weeks. As we attempted to take a couple of practice swings on the driving range before our tee time, we couldn't because the grass was knee high. There were cut down trees on every hole, some laying across the fairways. Every sand trap was full of knee high grass. Overall the course was was in terrible condition and we only attempted to play 6 holes before calling it quits! The conditions on this course was the absolute worst I've ever seen.

Response from Sugar Creek Golf & Tennis Club on 08/04/2017:

Jason, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding our course, Sugar Creek Golf & Tennis Club. We are sorry that the conditions were less than enjoyable-- we are going through a tough transition period. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to earn your business in the future.

"SUGAR CREEK CONDITIONS"

jay2911332's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/19/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

this is a very nice course but it is not being maintained properly. Staff is absolutely the best! Very friendly but management of this course is obviously very poor. Fairway grass continues to be too high. You spend more time looking for golf balls in the fairway that actually playing golf. Bunkers have weeds 3 ft high!! It is my understanding tax payers are paying to keep this course open? This golf course should be properly maintained or shut down

Response from Sugar Creek on 07/24/2017:

Hi Johnny, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Sugar Creek. Your feedback is very helpful to us, as we are always looking for ways we can improve. We are glad that you enjoyed our staff and pace of play! We hope that you give us the chance to earn your business again soon in the Atlanta area.

"Golf Course or Cow Pasture?"

SUBR90SIGMA's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/13/2017

Dekalb County should close this course and save a few bucks. If you are not going to keep the fairways cut, tee boxes marked, greens and bunkers maintained, then why keep the course open? Seems like you the course is just staying open to generate a little revenue, but nothing is going back into course maintenance.

At first I thought it was just me, but after reviewing other player comments, it looks like I'm not the only one.

Just close it and save yourself any further embarrassment.

I hate giving negative reviews, but this course gave me no other choice. There is no need to provide a response from the course staff. Looks like they are all they are all the same from the reviews I've read.

Thanks and have a great day. Once again, just close the course and stop wasting money.

"Don't pay full price"

gregthecoop's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/08/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

It is sad to see that Dekalb county has let this course go to cow pasture. This used to be a really nice track, but they have done nothing to keep it maintained. Greens are awful, bunkers overgrown, fairways are like first cut of rough even right after mowing. Overall not in playable condition. Maybe $10 bucks is worth a practice round, but full price no way. Wish the county would put some effort back into this place.

Response from Sugar Creek on 07/12/2017:

Hello Greg, thank you for taking the time to review Sugar Creek in the Atlanta area. We are sorry to hear that the course may have not been in the best condition when you played and we appreciate your feedback to make further improvements. Thank you for coming out to the course and we hope to see you again soon.

"Sugar Creek 061617"

cgreen713's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/16/2017

This course was in terrible condition when we played. The grass on the front 9 had not been cut in a while. Weeds were growing on the greens and there were bare spots. The back 9 was better, however. Can't see playing this course again unless major improvements are made.

The last time we played here the course was in good shape. Was very surprised at the poor condition this time. Would have asked for a refund after the first hole, but was paid through GolfNow.

Response from Sugar Creek Golf & Tennis Club on 06/26/2017:

Hello Curtis, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Sugar Creek Golf & Tennis Club. We appreciate the feedback and regret to hear that the conditions were not adequate. Your thoughts will be passed along to the team so we are able to provide a better golf experience next time. We hope to earn your business again and see you back soon.

cula2220's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/09/2017

Response from Sugar Creek Golf & Tennis Club on 06/12/2017:

Hi Heesang, thank you for taking the time to review your experience and rating our course. We regret to hear you would not recommend our course to your friends. We strive to offer top quality golf and enhance the experience we provide to our community everyday. We will pass along the issues mentioned in order to make improvements moving forward. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the pace of play, staff friendliness, and course layout! We hope to see you soon here at Sugar Creek Golf & Tennis Club in Atlanta to exceed expectations!

"golf course need lots of work"

Marty9837309's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/08/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

golf course need lots of work

green was not green

tee box was mass

cart driveway need work

don't want to play anymore

Response from Sugar Creek Golf & Tennis Club on 06/12/2017:

Hi Kung, thank you for taking the time to review your time with us and rating our course. Unfortunately, it sounds like you did not enjoy your round with us. We regret to hear the course conditions were not to your liking. We will pass along the issues mentioned to our team in order to make improvements for our golf community. We hope to have you back soon here at Sugar Creek Golf & Tennis Club in Atlanta for an even better round. Have a great day!

Chapmanwalsh's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/27/2017

Response from Sugar Creek on 05/30/2017:

Hello Chapman, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our course, we appreciate your feedback. We are glad you found our staff friendly. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.

"Poor course condition"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/20/2017

Great price.

Friendly staff.

Terrible course conditions.

The fairways were not cut and no different than the roughs. Greens were bare of grass in many spots causing your ball to hop skip and jump.

Lost several balls in the middle of the fairway.

Go here if you are just looking to practice your swing.

Response from Sugar Creek on 05/24/2017:

Hi Orlando, thank you for taking the time to review your experience and rating our course. We regret to hear the course conditions were not enjoyable during your round. We will pass along the issues mentioned to the appropriate team and look to make improvements moving forward. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the staff friendliness and price of your reservation. We hope to see you back again soon here at Sugar Creek and exceed expectations. Have a great day!

"Let it go"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/19/2017

I dont know if they plan on shutting down or not, but they have completely let it go. Worst greens ever, and they dont even bother with the bunkers. Its a free for all. I played it several times a couple of years ago and it wasnt that bad

Response from Sugar Creek on 05/24/2017:

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience and rating our course. We regret to hear you did not enjoy the conditions during your round. We are currently monitoring conditions every day and making improvements to enhance the experience we offer to our golf community. We value your feedback which allows us to pinpoint issues that our golfers point out. We thank you for stopping by Sugar Creek and we hope to see you back soon to exceed expectations. Have a great day!

"Should be ashamed"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/09/2017

Had a couple of buddies come out to play with me who were not from the area and I was embarrassed. Back nine closed and only found this out at the counter paying the green fees, ankle high fairway grass, tee boxes with no markers or hard to find them because of high grass. Un playable course at present. We abandoned the effort and went else where. Why has Dekalb neglected this property so? As a relatively new golfer in Dekalb it is a travesty that the county would treat it's county members this way..... Would this sort of thing happen in Gwinnett? Of course not.

Response from Sugar Creek on 05/12/2017:

Thanks for your review, Carlos. We're sorry to hear about this less than ideal experience at our course recently. This is not the standard we aim to provide our golfers and we're working diligently to improve course conditions. We thank you for your business and hope you'll consider playing again in the future. We appreciate the positive review of our staff and the course layout!

"Skip this one"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/08/2017

Fairways not mowed, horrible greens, no sand in bunkers. I'm sure that the course was good at one time, but it has really been neglected. My advice...pay a little more and play some place decent. Worst course I have been on.

Response from Sugar Creek on 05/10/2017:

Hi, Will. Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We're sorry to hear about the less than ideal conditions you experienced and we hope to make improvements in the near future. Thanks for the positive rating of our staff friendliness! We hope you'll consider playing Sugar Creek again in the future.

"Really Sad to See a Course Treated Like This"

Afult27's avatar
Age:  Under 25

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/07/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

This course seems to have a lot of potential, the hole layout it interesting, its in a hidden patch of forest in the city with a river running through it. Sadly enough, I genuinely don't think there is a maintenance man. Finding your ball in the fairway required looking b/c it was so overgrown and covered in weeds, the greens were COVERED in dead spots that made putting a joke, bunkers were closer to hard clay or a pond depending on how recently it rained, a few of the bridges are falling apart, and the course and river are covered in garbage. If they had took some time to take proper care of this course, it would be a lovely place to play. That being said, if you want great pace of play? Been there twice and never saw anyone out there! Probably because they know about the conditions... I hope it improves!

Response from Sugar Creek on 07/20/2017:

Hi Alex, thank you for taking the time to review our course. We're sorry that we were unable to provide an enjoyable golfing experience for you. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the layout and pace of play, however. All of your feedback is very helpful to us and will allow us to make beneficial changes. We appreciate your business and hope to earn it again soon.

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/07/2017

this is a good course if you like adventure while playing. course poorly maintained and would have a hard time finding out ball even when we hit it in the fairway. slowed down the game and pace. poor maintenance on the course. Some times we didnt even know if we were driving to next hole. Staff was great though. but would not play here again.

Course Layout: Poor

Response from Sugar Creek on 05/10/2017:

Hello, Daniel. Thanks for the review, we appreciate your feedback. We regret to hear of your sub-par experience at our course as this is not the standard we want for our golfers. Your feedback is being passed along and we hope you'll consider playing our course again in the future. Thanks for the positive rating of our staff friendliness!

"I couldn't believe what I saw."

Anderson7074060's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/29/2017

First of all, let me say that I was a volunteer worker for two golf courses in Miami, FL. so I have a pretty good idea of what it takes to make a golf course "playable ".

Sugar Creek should be shut down, period. I drove from Covington to see what should be a great place for cattle to graze. Is there any way I could get a refund? Fairway grass above our ankles, and we lost 4 balls after hitting them right down the middle. I hadn't played there in over a year and a half, and when the attendants asked us how was it, I asked him if he was serious. He asked my wife and I to come back and visit, I almost laughed in his face. Golf Now, please drop this course from your avaliable courses. I WILL NEVER, EVER GO THERE AGAIN UNLESS THEY HAVE AT LEAST A 4 STAR RATING!

Response from Sugar Creek on 05/26/2017:

Hello Anderson, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our course, we appreciate your feedback. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.