Style Woodland

Year Built 1994
Fairways Blue Grass
Architect Donald Horrell

Z man

Course is in good shape, worth the price. Pace of play slow.

Governor’s run fairways and greens are in great shape.

Course Has Gone South

I played Governor's Run for the first time this season. I've played it several times in the past and it's always been a very nice course. Times have changed.

The course is in horrific shape and speaks to the financial straights management is dealing with. We played on a Thursday afternoon and the course was a ghost town. Literally barely a car in the parking lot.

The course was in terrible shape. Weeds popping up through the greens, dried up bunkers and terrible grass and weeds near the fringe.

The worst part of it all is they are still charging prices you'd expect from a higher end course. The normal rate was $37.00 but we got the senior discount of $26.00. Keep in mind this was at 2:00 pm.

If you've already played this course recently, you don't need this review to tell you how bad of shape the course is in. If you haven't played in in a while, don't waste the time and gas to drive out there. There are too many other courses in the St Louis area that are a joy to play.

gr1

Every green except the putting green is over taken (30% or more) by crab grass. Most tee boxes have 10-20% of grab grass.

This is August. The course is barely playable.

Has gone downhill :(

This was always our absolute favorite course in our area. So, we were disappointed to find the course having some problems. Most of the greens had water grass on at least 30% of the surface making putting rather frustrating. Tee boxes were average at best and several of the red tee boxes were burned out and placed temporarily in the fairways. One positive--most of the zoysia fairways were in good shape!

Poor condition

Course is’nt in good condition. Fairways ok, around greens poor, greens ok, roughs horrible. Overall very dry and not well maintained. Disappointed.

Nice fairway and greens

Nicely conditioned zosia fairways and greens were above average and roiled very well. Blue tees where all moved up and we're having work done.

Pro shop is non existent and you check in at the bar for your round.

In summary good golf with average experience.

Enjoyable round!

Always enjoy this course. Greens were in great shape, fairways in good shape, some tee boxes being worked on due to heat stress. It's been dry and hot. Overall course in great shape. Staff was very friendly and helpful. We drive for over an hour to get to this course. Hope to play it a couple more times this year.

Like the Course

I hadn't played Governor's Run in over a decade. I knew I wouldn't remember the holes so I got the course guide book before my round. It helped but didn't show a few obstacles that were on the course, (creek/ditch, water areas). It wouldn't have mattered if I could have kept the ball in the fairway. It was pretty dry and the ground was hard in most places, making a good shot run out further than expected and putting a misplaced shot deep into trouble. I do like this course and would have hit a few different shots had I known the hole layout. Overall, a very good course at a respectable price.

Quick 9 before the storm

We had gone to Carlyle Lake to ride bikes & play golf. We rode for quite a while around the lake then ate & went to Governors Run. We heard on the radio that a big storm was coming so we only played 9. I hadn't been there in several years & didn't even know if it was still open. We found that it was in great shape & we enjoyed our round. Unfortunately, the weather report was correct & it was getting dark & thundering or else we would have played the back. We'll have to got back soon! Course has interesting holes with many hazards. Not one those back & forth courses!

Enjoyable outing!

The course was in great shape considering the amount of rain that has fallen in the area over the past two weeks. The grounds crew did an amazing job. The staff was friendly and courteous. I have always enjoyed playing Governors Run.

Down hill

Used to be the best course around. But lack of maintenance it is terrible. Back steps falling down and sand traps look terrible. So sad it used to be beautiful. It was a great course to play

Layout is def tricky and you need to google earth it while you play it the first time to have an idea of where some hazards are. Fairways are in phenomenal shape, greens not so much. Bunkers were not prepped (Wednesday afternoon) and were barely playable they were so firm. Greens were soft and fast but the grass was in poor shape. Def worth a try for everyone. Great course for players that hit it shorter. I hit my 3i off the tee more than my driver, but my partner hit driver on almost every hole.

We were surprised at the good shape of the course in winter! The weather was great, and while the ground was a little soft, it was not muddy. The fairways and greens were in great shape and I enjoyed the variety of the holes. I am an OK golfer, and the course was not intimidating at all. I can't wait to play here when all the ornamental grasses are green.

Great Day!

I was expecting the course to be in much worse shape Considering the amount of rain we had. I thought the greens were great and the fairways were in great shape too. The gentlemen at the clubhouse was extremely nice. I really like this course in the summertime. My one complaint would be the tree in the middle of the fairview on 17. It definitely makes the hole challenging but in my opinion it needs to go or be trimmed.

Golf in January

Got lucky with a 60 degree day in January. First time playing the course. Decent layout but play the middle tees would like to get back down in the summer and play the tips I would guess it would pretty challenging. Not fair to comment on conditions it was January. From what I could tell only a few goofy holes. If you haven't played it before water will sneak up on you. Overall enjoyed the course and would play it again hopefully in the summer.

This is a super nice course with most holes being secluded from the others so you're not on top of another group if you miss the fairway. Greens were great, nice carts, and smooth concrete cart paths

Carlyle, Illinois