2.3

Type Public/Municipal
Nob North Golf Course
Blue (W) 72 5189 yards 71.1 124
Scorecard for Nob North Golf Course
Black M: 72.3/131 519 308 378 367 134 377 492 173 412 3160 573 443 168 360 366 354 568 185 431 3448 6608
Red M: 70.5/127 W: 75.9/135 485 294 361 353 119 355 462 147 390 2966 550 408 145 323 348 327 534 167 392 3194 6160
White M: 68.0/122 W: 73.6/128 485 271 361 325 93 328 462 118 368 2811 521 383 145 294 310 296 425 133 349 2856 5667
Blue M: 65.7/117 W: 71.1/124 444 261 306 325 93 328 420 114 266 2557 384 360 116 287 310 292 425 119 339 2632 5189

Year Built 1978
Architect Gary Player (1978) Randolph P. Russell (1978)

Fantastic new greens!

Played here for the first time since the course reopened with their new Tifteagle Bermuda greens! Wow! the greens are in great shape and the fastest I've played in awhile. The old greens were undulating and these are too. Be prepared for some slick putts. Overall this has been a great course in NW Georgia for 40 years and the new greens only enhance the experience. You must play this course!!

Average course, possibly better options around locally

I would refer to this as an "average course", nothing particularly bad but nothing that stands out in a positive way either. The condition of the course in general was not great - weeds on fairways, bumpy greens, bare tee boxes, etc. - but the course is about to be closed down for several months while major maintenance work is done, including relaying the greens.

My main frustration with the course was the general layout which has way too many acute angle dog legs for my liking. There was also a bunch of blind shots which is another bugbear of mine.

e8494d94-5162-56bc-9833-38a39315c6ae
NobNorth
Commented On 05/02/2018

I am sorry that you had a bad experience. Our area up here has had a tremendous amount of rain which we haven't been able to spray for weeds yet and we had frost 3 days before you played which is the reason our grass hasn't come in because we are still dormant. Please come back in September after our greens renovation and I think you will enjoy the conditions.

Tennessee Advisor

Greens in poor shape

I have played this course a few times. I wrote a review 4 months ago after I played the course for the first time. Overall, my opinion remains the same but I have to add that the greens were in horrible shape when I last played. There were many unrepaired ball marks where the grass has died. Also, there were many bare spots but mostly near the edges. I don't recall a single green that was not in poor shape. Not only do players not repair their marks but it seems the greens staff doesn't tend to them as well. It was very disappointing. The rest of the course was well tended so this made the poor greens even more noticeable. It is still worth playing but be aware of the disappotmenting greens.

Greens going downhill!

I have loved this course for over 25 years. It's always been in great shape and one of the best public courses in NW Georgia. However, the greens have declined to the point they need to be rebuilt. They have allowed wild grass and Bermuda to creep into the Bentgrass greens. There were also some fungus spots on several greens. The greens were naturally beat up due to the heat and high humidity. The city of Dalton needs to invest in Champion Bermuda greens that are much more heat tolerant, durable and easier to maintain. This would be costly but it's a must for the long term viability of Nob North. I still recommend the course for the layout and overall condition. Tees, fairways and traps were in good shape. Cart paths are rough and they need to be repaired.

Fun course with friendly staff

The weather was terrible in Atlanta so we made the hour trip north. It had rained the previous day and was still raining lightly when we teed off at 8am. Even with the soggy conditions the course played well. The bent greens were incredibly receptive and rolled very well. After 18 holes of wet golf we decided to go out again as the weather was clearing. With very few people on the course our twosome got around well under 3 hours even with "cart path only" rules.

Premier public course in NW Georgia

I played here yesterday and the course was in very good shape. It was still wet from the recent rains and some holes were cart path only. They have new carts with GPS. Like any course there are areas in need of improvement. The cart paths were rough n several places and need to be repaved. The fairways and tee boxes were in good shape. The greens were very good with a few exceptions. The are known for having undulating and multi tier greens. The Bentgrass was in great shape since the early spring aeration. I highly recommend playing this course.

Tennessee Advisor

Wide Fairways, Quirky Doglegs

I have never played a Gary Player design. The course has wide fairways that makes tee shots fairly easy. But quite a few holes have quirky dogleg (almost 90 degrees in one case) and the first hole is a par 5 with two doglegs into the green. I don't know if this is typical of his design methods or if the land required himto fit the hole in this way.

The conditions were nice and the greens were accepting of shots. All in all, a great place to play. The carts have GPS to help with yardage. Worth a trip to play.

Good for walking

The course was a relatively easy course. Greens were being repaired, so that was terrible and should have given us a discounted rate. We paid for a golf cart which was a terrible idea considering it was cart path only. I would have walked less if I just walked the course. Other than that the course looked to be a nice course, easy layout, and friendly staff. I may play this course again but only if I walk it.

Fun course greens have been better

I have played this course many times. This is the worst conditions I have ever seen the greens. Lots of other grass / weeds growing in the bent grass. Dozens of poorly or unrepaired ball marks on every green. The greens use to be the reason I liked to play this course. Pin positions very unfair for recreational play. I am a single digit handicap and had three different greens where I putted the ball only a couple of feet past the hole and the ball kept rolling off the green down the hill/back to the cart to get my wedge.. All the bunkers were washed out and had not been worked on in some time. I understand it's winter and staff is short handed. If I pay the same rate as in season I expect to play the course that has been maintained the same. If you are not going to pay staff to keep the course in good condition lower the rates to reflect that....
On the good the carts are equipped with gps system that is amazing. No problem determining distance to pin, dogleg, bunker or even to clear water. System very accurate and helpful, plus it speeds up play. Would like to see the greens improved and not Sunday tournament pin placements on a Wednesday

Great course for value

For the value of this course, it is a great hidden treasure. If you are a local or an out of towner I would definitely recommend this to you.

Tunnel Hill, Georgia
Chatsworth, Georgia
Rocky Face, Georgia
Ooltewah, Tennessee
Cleveland, Tennessee
Chatsworth, Georgia
Ringgold, Georgia

Valid dates: May 20, 2019 - Dec 31, 2019
Enjoy exclusive access to the legendary courses of TPC Sawgrass with a 2 night stay, breakfast and 2 rounds of golf.
PARK CITY VACATION DEALS
Stay and Play
Stay & Play Escape at Eagle Eye!
Stay and Play
Stay & Play this Summer at Hawk Hollow!
Unlimited Golf Stay and Play at St James Bay Golf Club