Eagle Ridge Resort & Spa - North Course

Caddies: No
GPS: Yes

Dress code: Proper attire is required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Jade (W) 72 5578 yards 72.1 125

The North Course is one of three championship courses offered at Eagle Ridge Resort & Spa. The North is joined by the South and the General and there is also the nine-hole East Course at the resort. The North is the second most challenging of the three championship golf courses after the General. The North is slightly less difficult and it is also more playable. There are dramatic elevation changes that lead to rolling fairways and large, undulating greens. Golfers will be hard-pressed to find an even lie on this course. Nearly 60 bunkers are strategically placed along the greensides and water hazards come into play on seven holes. It is a challenging layout no doubt but there is plenty of variety available. The design is also nicely balanced with more player-friendly holes either preceding or following the tougher holes.

Course Layout: No ratings so far

"Eagle Ridge Resort (North)"

btweed1683's avatar
Chicago Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/18/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

The Good: The cornerstone course at Eagle Ridge Resort is a Roger Packard design that has stood the test of time. Very interesting track that winds through woodlands and puts a premium on iron play from uneven lies. Excellent Par 5's, a postage stamp downhill Par 3, and one of the more beautiful Par 4's you'll find. Good course conditions and slick, tricky greens. Decent clubhouse and practice facilities. Good rates for guests and packages.

The Bad: While locals will say the course is "open", the hilly routing is very difficult for the 15+ handicapper. Too many blind tee shots. Several forgettable Par 4's. Not a $100 golf course. No GPS is a negative.

The Verdict: The second best course at the Eagle Ridge complex. Lots of character and sporty enough to keep all golfers interested.

Best Hole: All the Par 5's are great, but the downhill Par 4 7th has a great view of Galena Lake over the trees.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"North course"

beegss's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/19/2014

Course was in good shape and so early in the season it was almost empty. For some reason range balls were not part of the package.

"One of 3 great choices for golf in Galena"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 9/26/2013

The north and south courses were in excellent condition. Didn't play the General but it was likely pristine. All are challenging and fun although on the pricey side for this rural area. Thankfully, Golf Now made it a real bargain but tee times were very limited. Another gripe is the lack of driving ranges and extra costs to use.

"Course is overpriced at full price"

None's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 8/22/2013

course was in good shape. greens were resort quick. overall I good experience for the price. They could use gps on carts.

"The course is beautiful!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 8/20/2013

Eagle Ridge - North is my favorite course and has been and has been since it opened.

"Don't expect a smile if you came through golfnow"

u000006207999's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 8/19/2013

I've played the North Course at Eagle Ridge more than 30 times over the years as part of a package, as a property owner and now through golfnow. The reason I used golfnow was because the regular rates and even property owner rates are a little steep for the course. C'mon, no bent grass tees or fairways. The General has those and the rates are even higher though

I have always loved the North course more than the South. It's fair but still tough.

Worst part is we get there about 50 minutes early since we had a nice breakfast at the Inn. We pull up and the greeter who takes our clubs says are you the 11:15 time. We say yes how did you know? Because there aren't any other players between now and 11:15 and not too many the rest of the day.

We figure let's check in, putt around and get off a little early. Maybe we can rent a boat after golf on the lake.<br/> Nope. We are promptly told that they cannot check us in until 11am since we are from golfnow. But I'm a property owner how about that. Nope.

While I'm waiting a twosome finishes 9 and is on their way to 10 when the golfer jokes with the starter " having a good time?" The starter says " well you are a little behind the time we'd like to see for the front nine." Wow.

Hey are we having fun at our job? If not, quit. There's no one on the course. I swear I saw this twosome and a single all day and when we were driving back to my house I saw a few groups on the course.

You really need to A) Like your customers and accommodate them. If I booked through golfnow I'm still a customer and potential customer. I decided to buy a place out there after playing the courses. They treated people much differently and prices were more in line with other courses not 135 miles from home 18 years ago.<br/> B) Lower the price for everyone and twilight is 3pm not 4pm almost everywhere else. If you have more golfers you will increase revenue even at lower prices. You will also increase merchandise and food and drink sales. This isn't rocket science.

"Best Golf In North Western Illinois"

spilafas's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 8/18/2013

Eagle Ridge in Galena is probably the best golf in Illinois only thing that comes close is Wever Ridge near Peoria. With four courses there is a variety to keep you busy. If your going to take on "The General" you better bring you A game !!

"Great course with a view!"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 7/31/2013

Eagle Ridge North is a great challenging course, that winds around the beautiful Galena landscape. Reading the subtle breaks on these large greens is tough, but if you can play it several times I think you will find out where not to hit it.

"Beautiful, scenic, pristine course:)"

gmt1022's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 7/23/2013

I planned on playing the E/Ridge East g/c, but checked out golfnow for rates on the 18 hole courses. Much to my surprise, there was a special for $30 on the North g/c.

Probably the most scenic course I've ever played ... and I've played hundreds of g/c's all over the US!

"Dramatic views & elevation changes"

111242's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 7/4/2013

If you play the correct tees, this can be a very enjoyable experience. Take time to look back as well as forward. The greens are difficult to read because of the hilly terrain in the area. The back nine is a little more forgiving the the front nine. Look on golfnow.com for the deals.

"this course extremely well maintained"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/29/2013

I was just lucky to be able to play the North Course, at this time for the rate which we got. One of the BEST courses in the area.<br/> I,m hoping to be able to play it again, and would recommend it to everyone who loves a playable, challenging, and interesting golf course. Five stars plus...

"great course layout with very few level lies."

rtillery71's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 4/13/2013

In mid April the course was in great condition. 35 degrees when we tee off and the greens rolled well.

"Great Course"

bgrande's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/20/2012

Wonderful course, difficult but very playable. Always in great condition!