Year Built 1972
Golf Season year round
Architect Ward Northrup

Metal Spikes Allowed Yes

Great course.

Had a great time. First time playing and staff was very friendly. Course was busy on the front, but the wait wasn't bad. Cleared up on the back 9 and we never had to wait on anyone. Saw multiple deer walking the fairways and in the woods. Course has a lot of elevation changes which I loved. Tees, fairways, and greens all in great condition. Couldn't read the greens to save my life! Rolled very true though. Would play again when back in the area.

Minnesota Advisor

West Side

What are you looking for in a course? I like scenery, fairness, condition, and in your face decision making. At $41 dollars with a cart I felt like I stole something. There are two 18 hole courses, east and west. I asked two staff members which was the one of the two is the best to play if I could only play once, they agreed the west. The west starts at the house and only returns at the 18th green, so beware if you’re a drink or food guy at the turn, there is no turn. The conditions were as expected this deep into the summer months. The boxes were burnt but not dirt. The fairways were running and a bit hard, but grass covered. The greens were dry but well maintained and mark free. The layout was my favorite thing. I wouldn’t say it was hilly, more or less rolling. No huge uphill/downhill approaches. I played from the whites as a 250/260 driver of the ball. This is my 1 of 2 complaints. The decision making was made easy by a barber pole in the fairway at the 150 yd mark. There were no yardage books or gps on the cart. Using simple math, I would -150 from the total distance of the hole length to estimate distance from the tee to the marker. That was difficult because the card and tee box head stones differed in distanced. Card would read 368 from wht and the head stone would read 379. So, I would look for an official pga marker on the tee and couldn’t find them. Normally not a big deal but there are doglegs to consider and driving through fairways with shots over hit by as little as 10 yds. I do not have a range finder, that would be advised. I had minimal phone power so I did not try to gps by way off apps. Biggest complaint is as much my fault as theirs. I’m a northern guy and It was hot. I bought 1 Powerade and was assured there were Marshall’s finding me every 2 or 3 holes with water coolers on board to fill my bottle. Well, after the 3rd hole, I never saw the Marshall to get water. There is one fountain with warm water around 9 and as you recall, there is no turn on the West side. I was struggling and caught myself feeling woozy. I had to stop at 17 and ride into the clubhouse to hydrate. Not so much the courses fault, just as much my fault. All in all, a must play if you are in the area. At $41 on a Saturday, well priced. I checked all of my boxes, scenery, fairness, conditions and in your face decision making. Expect trees, fair bunkering, good putting greens.

Fantastic Layout

Quite a surprise. Extremely challenging amd I am an 8 hdcp. Almost every non Par 3 is a dog leg and tree lined. Greens were superb. And all this for $27 (Special Wed rate). One of the beest public courses I have eever played....and that covers 50 years.

Once ranked ahead of Bethpage Black

Bull Creek was once ranked ahead of Bethpage Black among best public courses in the US. NY invested millions to restore the Black course. Bull Creek West is still a great track. Par 5 #13 is one of my favorite risk/reward driving holes. #15 is a strong and scenic par 4.

Fun and fair

This is a fun, fair course. The conditions are better than most municipal courses because the city uses inmate labor, which is very cheap. It is easy to walk, as there are not severe elevation changes. The practice facilities are great. They have 2 putting greens, fairway bunkers on the driving range, and a great chipping/sand area. Range balls are only $4 a bucket.

Valid dates: Dec 05, 2019 - Nov 01, 2020