Mary Calder Golf Club

• 2101 W Lathrop Ave, Savannah, Georgia 31402, Chatham County
  • www.marycaldergc.com

Year built: 1937
Architect(s): George Cobb (1967)
Type: Semi-Private

"Ehhhhhh....not bad"

Tod5927241's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/14/2018

Hey this is a decent 9 hole course.... nothing fancy, definitely not worth what they are charging at the door... 32dollars to play 18 that is ridiculous.... there are way better courses here for the same amount of money but for what I played on the golf now app, not a bad course....

Response from Mary Calder Golf Club on 04/20/2018:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Mary Calder Golf Club, and for the 3 stars. We're very sorry to hear you may have had a poor customer experience with us recently, and we appreciate your feedback so we may work on improvements for your future experience with us. It looks like you had a smooth round and ahad a fun time on the course, so we are glad to see that. Thank you for your choosing our course, in the Savannah area, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/05/2018

Response from Mary Calder Golf Club on 04/11/2018:

We are sorry to see that the course may not have been in the best shape when you played and your feedback is appreciated. It looks like you had a friendly experience with our staff, , so we hope this improved your overall experience with us. Thank you for recommending our golf course, Mary Calder Golf Club, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

wcandjc7's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/04/2018

"Nice day....."

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/02/2018

Busy day At the MC. Had a good time. Worked on my game today. No rush. Tee to green great for the price. Very friendly staff!!!!

"Nice day....."

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/20/2018

Early tee time...... First one out...pace of play excellent. Great course to work on your game. Can't beat the price. Less than a bucket of balls. Cameron the super, nice as all and really cares on improving the course. Paul and I spoke for a few which I'll be attending some events. If you have a golf fix, hit this course up. Give it a few months and the course should be improving. Tough winter with a lot of rain. Shout out to the few staff members at the Mary!!!!!

anwar2558109's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/11/2018

Response from Mary Calder Golf Club on 03/20/2018:

Hello, thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to review your experience with us, we truly appreciate your feedback and will certainly pass it along to our team. We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back to the 5-star experience that you deserve.

"Good time"

Toddbishop's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/15/2018

An oasis in an industrial area, don’t let this stop you had a great day..9 hole 2 tee boxes nice condition for February, greens were decent, bunkers decent,fairways ruff but will return in the spring, nice staff

Response from Mary Calder Golf Club on 02/20/2018:

Thanks so much, Todd, for writing a review for our course. We are so happy that you enjoyed your round with us. We rely on our customers' feedback to help us provide a great golf experience for every round. Thanks so much for contributing. We will share your insights with our team, and we hope to see you back again soon.

"Great day despite terrible conditions"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/27/2017

I read all the reviews prior to booking, and I was reluctant to play but I’m beyond happy that I did. It was incredibly cold, and slightly drizzling but it didn’t downplay the course, whatsoever. The fairways and greens were surprisingly nice, better than some courses in Bluffton. The only issue was the construction for some of the ditches on the fairways. Staff was incredibly friendly, felt like a family was running the course. I would recommend this course to a friend, and I can’t wait to see how much the course improves in the future.

Response from Mary Calder Golf Club on 01/05/2018:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Mary Calder Golf Club, and for the 3 stars. We hope that you enjoyed playing our golf course and that you will see improvements in the course conditions the next time you are with us. It looks like you had a smooth round and a friendly experience with our staff, so we are glad to see that. Thank you for recommending our golf course, in the Savannah, GA area, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

"Great for beginners"

KathyCampbell's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/30/2017

We're on vacation and hadn't golfed for about 2 months. This was the perfect course to get the feel of it again. Would definitely recommend it for beginners or hackers like us.

Kevin3649447's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/22/2017

Response from Mary Calder Golf Club on 10/26/2017:

Hello Kevin, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Mary Calder Golf Club in the Jekyll Island/Savannah area, and for the 3 stars. We see that the course may not have been in the best conditions when you played and your feedback is appreciated for future improvements. However, we're glad you enjoyed our course layout and received a great value for your round. Thank you for your choosing our course and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

"Good for a practice round"

uARQX1070AR's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/13/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

This was my first time at Mary Caulder. My partner had olayed there recently so I knew what to expect. The pro shop welcomed me and we went out right away.

Not crowded (threatening weather) so pace of play was whatever we wanted. The course layout was good but maintenance could have been better. The traps didn't have much sand but I got out of the one I hit into okay. The greens were very slow.

This is a good course for the money but don't expect country club conditions. I would return.

Response from Mary Calder Golf Club on 10/19/2017:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Mary Calder Golf Club in the Savannah area, and for the 3 stars. We're sorry to hear about the slow greens and level of maintenance, but we hope you will see improvements during your next round as your feedback is greatly appreciated. It looks like you enjoyed the overall value of your round, which we are glad to hear. Thank you for choosing to golf with us, and we look forward to seeing you soon.

"Lake Calder"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/11/2017

Course has received a lot of rain prior to me playing, hole #1 still a lake in front of tee box. Some greens being worked on, still a few wet areas on course.Hole #2 really wet.It's nice to see some work putting in to course.Will be a lot better when dried out. I like the course because your never rushed. Great day to really dial in some golf shots. Always enjoy threading the oaks off the blue tees on 1 and 10. Staff ALWAYS great to talk to. GN deal couldn't pass up. Great course to work on your game. Looks like there growing in a new practice putting green.

"Mary Calder is comming back"

TERRY7272's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/09/2017
First time playing Hot weather

I know Mary Calder had fallen on hard times for a few years...but today it was enjoyable. The greens were a little slow dew to the course staff had the day off(Columbus Day)I could tell that they would put pretty well when cut. I made 3 birdies even though they were slow. Every green is trapped and elevated and the only real weakness on the course is that the traps need some new sand. I am actually looking forward to play here again....If you like to play fast with no waiting ...Play Mary Calder.

"Great Changes since my last review"

ddjdsj's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/01/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

My compliments to Cameron , the guy who is instrumental in bringing the greens, fairways, and rough back into playing condition. Very enjoyable now. The bunkers are clean, but could use some real bunker sand. Their is a new putting green that looks fabulous. It's supposed to be ready in a couple of more weeks.

Staff is very accommodating. Carts are always well prepared. Look forward to playing again soon.

Scrappy Jackson

Baker2565484's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/20/2017

"This is not a negative..."

Jon2174666's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/10/2017

I've played nicer courses, more prestigious courses, courses that have pristine and manicured greens. This is not one of those courses.

What this is, is a friendly, forgiving and FUN course. It's not exceptionally challenging, but it allowed a poor golfer such as myself to enjoy the game for what it is... a game. I played the course solo and there was never pressure to pickup because someone was pressing from behind. The wide open fairways and greens allowed me to focus on my shots.

I truly enjoyed this course and will definitely play it again!!! This course reminded me that golf is a game to be enjoyed and not a challenge to stress you out. I recommend it for those who want to be reminded what it's like to play and just have fun!!!

"Needs some love"

Alex8147030's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/20/2017

The cras needs to be cut but we played for $12 so can't expect that much. Also if you just walk in you can play all day for only $20

Response from Mary Calder Golf Club on 05/24/2017:

Hi Alex, thank you for taking the time to review your experience and rating our course. We regret to hear the course conditions were not enjoyable during your round. We will pass this information along to the appropriate team and look to make enhancements moving forward. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the staff friendliness and course layout. Thank you for stopping by Mary Calder Golf Club and we hope to see you back soon!

"New pro making some improvememts"

Rke6327953's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/17/2017

I have played this course probably 8 times in the past two years. There have been three different pros here over that time. This course was kind of run down a year ago but the new pro has just come in and there are some upgrades being made in the condition of the fairways and greens. Course is an excellent value for the money and is getting better all the time. Friendly staff.

Response from Mary Calder Golf Club on 05/19/2017:

Hello Richard, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our course, we appreciate your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and pace of play. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.

"Really bad course"

SavannahBill's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/16/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

This golf course is in horrible shape. Foot high weeds growing in the fairways; greens with half grass, half dirt; tee boxes not too bad. One bright spot was the sand traps. They were mostly nicely raked and pretty playable. Oh, and the staff was pleasant.

Course Difficulty:  Extremely Easy

Response from Mary Calder Golf Club on 05/17/2017:

Hello Bill, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our course, we appreciate your feedback. We are glad you found our staff firendly Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.

"Fairway?"

Jovanni9889257's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/03/2017

There is no telling on where the Fairway starts or ends.

Response from Mary Calder Golf Club on 05/05/2017:

Hello Jovanni, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our course, we appreciate your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and pace of play. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.