Cog Hill Golf & Country Club Course No. 3

Architect Dick Wilson (1963) Joe Lee (1963) Ron Forse

Carts Yes - included in green fee

Caddies Yes

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard, Discover Welcomed
Dress code Collared shirts are preferred, Slacks or shorts are preferred, No tank tops or halter tops. No gym shorts or running shorts

Excellent as always...

...too bad pro tournaments do not come here as before.
Wishing my game played better, but overall the course was great.

Disappointing

Thought course #3 would be in much better shape considering this is Cog Hill. Course #3 is supposed to be an easier course and is cheaper than the others, but was not worth the $55 to play. The rough is overgrown, full of dandelions and other weeds, and looks like it hadn't been cut in weeks. I shouldn't be losing balls when I hit them two yards off the fairway. Even the grass around the tee boxes didn't look like it hadn't been cut in a while either. The fairways were also covered in clumps of grass clippings. I know its earlier in the season but Cog #3 was one of the worst courses I have played in the Chicago area.

e82b3d0b-07de-5dfe-975f-f8ad8bdaaf6e
CogHillGolf
Commented On 06/18/2019

We are sorry your experience did not meet your expectations. The month of May brought over 15 inches of rain to Cog Hill. This total is well above the average of about 9 inches for the month. 21 separate rain events kept conditions soggy on the golf courses as it was a rare instance to have enough time and proper conditions for drying. The icing on the cake came on Memorial Day as we were hit with 80+ mile per hour winds, a 3” rainfall in a matter of 30 minutes, and tennis ball size hail. Not only were the courses flooded, but we lost over 20 significant large trees and the bunkers on all four courses were destroyed. The property was littered end-to-end with debris.Obviously when a property takes on that much water, even tasks as simple as mowing become a major challenge. We are now caught up and hoping for a drier summer than our spring. Please come back and I know we will meet your expectations!

A cold, windy day

It was 35° with an 18 mph wind. The course was pretty soft, from an earlier rain and melted snow. Course #3 has a mixture of some very challenging holes and some easy holes. However, on a day like this in March, every hole is challenging, especially since they haven't cut the greens yet for this season. It was quite a test!

e82b3d0b-07de-5dfe-975f-f8ad8bdaaf6e
CogHillGolf
Commented On 05/25/2018

Weather is much nicer now, please come out and visit us again soon.

Course is great, but beware of tournaments

Ok, bottom line is this is a very straightforward course with minimal hazards. A very nice, older layout that's surrounded by a preserve, so quite enjoyable from those angles. The greens were pretty hard to read, though - I average around 30-32 putts per round, but had 36 here!

So, here's the deal. The course was seemingly empty for the first 8 holes...I saw no one in front of me at all and no one was behind me after I teed off (played the first 9 in 1 hr 5 mins). Just what you'd expect for a Monday at 12.00pm, but when I got to the 8th tee, a surly ranger rolls up and proceeds to tell me I should turn around and "play some holes again" to avoid running into a school tournament ahead of me at the 11th. I was like, ok..why would I do that? I paid for 18, and since I've never played the course before I wanted to play all of it 1 through 18, in order. He insisted, I nodded ok and just went about my normal round. However, I did catch the last tournament group at the 14th hole, and when I was about to go to the tee I was told the same thing by a couple of guys who I assumed to be coaches...basically that I had no options and that I should just meander around the previous part of the course for a while. That might have been fair enough if I would've known in advance, but I was not told anything when I booked the tee time over the phone, nor did either pro shop tell me that I'd be playing behind a tournament. It took 1 hr 30 mins to play the last 5 holes. Sorry, but that's just unacceptably poor service on their end. When courses aren't up front about what's going on regarding leagues, maintenance, etc, I usually don't play there again.

I mean, I'm not even accounting for the fact that they didn't give notice that the fairways had been recently punched in areas, but because most of the course was in pretty good shape for this late in the season, I still have to give it 4 stars.

Great round!

Course was in great shape. Fairways and greens were very well maintained. The course is challenging but fair.

Great course but pace of play can be a problem

Fantastic course, great value for money

Great course to play

Everything of the course is great except the greens being pretty slow. There are a lot of trees on both sides of fairways so you got to keep your tee shot fairly straight. Hole 9 through 11 are more challenging than other holes. There are also a couple of long par 4's but overall it's a fun course to play. Will definitely come back again.

Great Round!!!

For the money it was a terrific afternoon. Front 9 player fast and the back 9 is very challenging!!!

Nice Walk, Easy Layout, Over Priced

I have been playing Cog for years and it is definitely a nice place to golf. Course 3 is the entry level and is short and easy. It has been a couple years but it appears as if they lost a lot of trees due to the Emerald Ash borer. This makes the course that much easier and robs it of some of the character. Conditions are normally fairly well maintained. Large slow greens. The front nine is too easy, there are 4 holes where you can go iron/iron if you like that sort of thing. There is really only one long par 5. The back nine has three par 5's, so it seems longer.

Underwhelming At Best

Playing Cog was like going back in time. The proshop reminded me of playing golf as a kid in the late 80's. The carts are just as old and of course, gas powered which I always hate. The course itself was in fair shape, maintained well enough to be enjoyable but nothing to make you think they're putting forth a lot of effort. The course is just long enough to not give you your choice of color putt putt balls upon signing in. It plays VERY SHORT! Measuring at 6402 from the tips and having four par 5's. Only one those playing as a legit par 5. The others are nothing more than driver, long iron and you're home with ease.

This course, though a bit over priced, is great for beginners, juniors, seniors or anyone needing a boost of confidence.

Difficulty Extremely Easy
Request A Vacation Quote From Cog Hill Golf and Country Club
Please provide your information below and a staff member at Cog Hill Golf and Country Club will be in contact to help you start planning your travel.

Valid dates: Sep 16, 2019 - Mar 31, 2020