Makalei Hawaii Country Club

Dress code: Proper attire is required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Championship 72 7091 yards 74.3 144
Peacock (W) 72 3582 yards 60.3 103

Location is worth the drive convenient to the city near the airport   Great for wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers locals   Challenges include elevation changes bunkers thick rough   Great for drinks

"This course has huge potential"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2018

I have played most of the Big Island courses but this was new to me. The layout is spectacular, if the VOG was not around then the views would be wonderful (I think). If you can hit it to your target off the tee it plays well. If you miss with a wayward shot then goodbye ball. Greens and fairways were in good condition but the bunkers MUST be repaired and put back in play. Let's hope the new ownership realizes the potential this course has. Enjoyed it so much I played it 3 times. The peacocks and other flora and fauna will keep you entertained even if your game is bad - a little bit of paradise.

"Jungle golf"

w8n4duck's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/19/2018

The course had to have been cut out of the middle of the forest. It is only up and down all fairways and all the greens are undulating. Peacocks everywhere. All in all, a great, different course than the typical Hawaii courses. A must visit if in Kona.

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/29/2018
First time playing Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

Response from Makalei Golf Club on 05/01/2018:

Hello, thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to review your experience with us, we truly appreciate your feedback and will certainly pass it along to our team. We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back to the 5-star experience that you deserve.

"Lousy condition"

u000008220352's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2018

Nice, interesting layout. Course is in terrible condition. Not worth playing

Response from Makalei Hawaii Country Club on 04/30/2018:

Hello, thank you for sharing your review, We truly appreciate both your positive and constructive feedback regarding the course conditions and will be sure to pass it along to our team. We’re thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our staff and sceneries at Makalei Hawaii Country Club, and also appreciate your input on our maintenance. We hope to welcome you back for an enjoyable experience on the course in the near future.

"Beautiful course in the mountains of Hawaii"

rtwaka's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/25/2018
Previously played Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

Great course, course condition was average to poor, but beautiful layout. Very hilly with large elevation changes. Different from the typical resort style courses you find in Hawaii.

"Makalei golf club has magnificent views"

Bruce6093729's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2018

Looking out over the course your can see the coast line and stunning beauty of the floral landscape and magnificent bird population, peacock birds everywhere.

The course itself was a bit rough from my expectations and the weather storms have left the woods covered with debris. They were looking for staff to hire as there was a lot to clean up.

Overall, we had a great day on the course.

The Stewart’s

CarlES's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/16/2018

Beautiful well-designed hilly course excellent for more experienced golfers but also fun for less experienced Individuals

"Nice Course"

rwieszczyk's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2018

First time playing this course. Take a 5 minute ride up the mountain, then play your way down. The fees and traps need a little work, but the rest of the course is quite nice. Enjoyable to play this layout. I would recommend. A good value.

"Views"

valenzud's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/02/2018

Views were great, very different. Grass was super thick around greens, which made it difficult to chip.

Response from Makalei Golf Club on 04/09/2018:

We hope that you enjoyed playing our golf course and that you will see improvements in the course conditions the next time you are with us. Thank you for visiting Makalei Golf Club! Tee off with us again in the near future!

"Exceptional Wildlife"

itsinthebank's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/19/2018

You literally had to work your way through the peacocks, turkeys, wild pigs and countless small birds as well as mongoose, roosters, cats and the occasional golfer.

We lucked out and played a quick 18 between rain storms. The greens were good but could be quite a bit firmer for a semi-private course since many of the craters didn’t get repaired. The traps are currently being redone.

The layout is interesting with many huge elevation changes, but a few too many blind shots made necessary because of the steep uphill holes.

Impossible to walk as it could take a half hour to get to the first tee as the start and finish are a long way from the clubhouse. You must be careful with the cart as even the concrete cart paths can be so steep that you can’t stop.

We enjoyed this unique rainforest experience and would recommend it.

"Perfect Your Slope Game"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/12/2018

Amazing course for working on your slope swings. Fun course to blast drives far, and work on your slope swing. The wildlife was in deep mating season which created an “climatic” experience. Good golf. Nice staff. I recommend it if you are not here to play a $50000009 round. I think I got more out of this than I would have at a stiff collar snob course.

"Unplayable beauty"

badcaseofcms's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/05/2018

Beautiful course - scenery and the peacocks are amazing. Layout is challenging because of the slope of the hills. You will almost never have anything close to a flat lie, and reading the greens is virtually impossible. Still - it is reasonably priced and worth the $'s just to see the views and the scenery. Nice people there too. Bunkers were under repair, which was not mentioned anywhere when I booked. That was a bit of an issue, but by the 3rd hole I as thankful for the free drop.

"Poor course condition limited views"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/04/2018

limited clubhouse amenities with no restaurant or bar open on Sunday - not very friendly clubhouse staff - poor driving range condition and mats - then the course started - very poor condition of course especially all the sand traps that were deemed under repair but appeared to be left unattended to never be fixed - the course used to be nice based on the layout but maintenance and financial issues must have beset course - greens and wildlife were the only pluses now to what may have been in the past a very nice golf course..... won't be going back

Response from Makalei Hawaii Country Club on 03/13/2018:

Thank you for taking the time to review our course. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we will share it with the appropriate staff to correct any issues or make any improvements. We here at Makalei want all of our guests to have a memorable time out on the course, and we are sorry that your experience didn't live up to your expectations. We hope that we will have an opportunity to change your mind. Thank you for choosing to golf with us.

"First time play in March 2018"

msullivangolf's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/03/2018
First time playing Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

I played this course in March 2018 for the first time. If you are staying in Kona you have to drive an hour and pay $150 to $200 to play any of the ocean courses. I played here because it was cheap at $60 and close.

Fairways and greens were in good shape.

The bunkers are under repair, and apparently always will be, I saw no repair going on. Besides the 150 stick, there were few distance markers.

I played twilight rates, and wanted to repeat a few holes but was chased off the course at 530, although dusk is at 630. If you play in the afternoon, you better check to find when they close.

Course was relatively empty, I play six holes by myself then caught up to a twosome and finished with them. There is no ranger, the threesome in front of us were bad golfers and slow, which is fine, but they never waved us through.

The course is built onto a mountain and most fairways run either up or down. NO ocean views at all. You typically hit down into the par threes. Being from Illinois i am not used to elevation changes and i typically over-hit the par threes and wound up off the back. You would have to play the course a few times to figure out what clubs to use on those holes.

Scenery is awesome, its like playing through a jungle. I saw 100 peacocks, turkeys, other birds, mongoose. there are wild pigs but i did not see them.

The couse would get more play and be more enjoyable if they put up more distance markers, (how expensive is a 100 yard stick?). How about some signs at the Par 3, saying "Due to elevation change, play this 160-yard hole as if it were 130", i have seen that at other courses. How about repairing some of the bunkers around the greens.

i enjoyed the course and the chance to play without spending a fortune. With a little work, it could be a much more enjoyable day.

Response from Makalei Hawaii Country Club on 03/08/2018:

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to review our course, Makalei Hawaii Country Club. We are happy to know that you enjoyed the layout and the beautiful scenery surrounding the course. We were disappointed to read that your experience did not meet your expectations. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we will share it with the appropriate staff to correct any issues or make any improvements. We want all of our guests to have a memorable time out on the course. We hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back for the five-star experience you deserve.

"Fun.... but"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/21/2018

This course is fun and challenging, however not for tourists. This not a beach course. Lots of wild life but not close to the water. I would play it again, but do t expect a resort course

Response from Makalei Hawaii Country Club on 02/26/2018:

Thanks for writing a review! We glad to hear that you had an enjoyable round. We're sorry that your experience didn't quite match your expectations, but we're very pleased to hear that you would like to come back. Thanks for choosing Makalei Hawaii Country Club. We hope to see you again very soon.

"Very fun course"

bobgolfs42's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/20/2018

If you want to play an impeccably manicured course, look elsewhere.

If you want to play a fun course where everyone is friendly and not too serious, this may be the course for you,

Played this course in February and got off to a good start with very friendly staff in the proshop followed by a polite and informative starter/cart man.

All of the other groups we met on the course were having fun and some of them were pretty decent golfers.

During your round, you will encounter peacocks, turkey's, and all kinds of other birds. It is also common to come across wild pigs.

When we played the course, the bunkers were being repaired and basically unplayable but all in all had a very pleasant round.

bobpellerine's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/14/2018

Response from Makalei Hawaii Country Club on 02/16/2018:

Hi Bob. Thank you for taking the time to review our course. We were delighted to see that you were treated so well by our staff and that you valued your experience. We are also glad to hear that you enjoyed the layout of our course, which is enhanced by the beautiful wildlife of Hawaii. Thanks for choosing Makalei Hawaii Country Club. We look forward to<br/> welcoming you back to our course soon.

"Beautiful High Elevation Golf Course"

MarcMullins's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/06/2018

Park-like setting in an upland forest of mostly silver oaks. No houses adjacent to course. Bunkers were being renovated and were considered ground under repair. Great views. Long hilly course with long cart rides between holes. Gas golf golf carts. Take extra water as there appeared to be no water fountains or coolers on course. They give you 16 oz of bottled water. Beverage cart was circulating on course though. Course maintenance was 7 on 1-10 scale and similar to a nice municipal course. Thoroughly enjoyed the round and the course.

"needs work"

SPENDEX001's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/05/2018

traps unplayable,fairways and tees need a lot of love.greens and layout good.the worst course I played from golf now

Response from Makalei Hawaii Country Club on 02/07/2018:

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to review our course, Makalei Hawaii Country Club here in Kailua-Kona. We were disappointed to read that your experience did not meet your expectations. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we will share it with the appropriate staff to correct any issues or make any improvements. We here at Makalei want all of our guests to have a memorable time out on the course. We hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back for the five-star experience you deserve.

"Unusual"

Kurt4728180's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/29/2018

Arrive early, the 1st tee is a long distance from the clubhouse. Definitely not walkable. Bring lots of golf balls; you won’t find too many that miss the fairway. Greens are the best part of this course.

Response from Makalei Hawaii Country Club on 02/02/2018:

Hello, thank you for sharing your review, Kurt. We truly appreciate both your positive and constructive feedback and will be sure to pass it along to our team. We also appreciate your input on our maintenance. We hope to welcome you back for an enjoyable experience on the course in the near future.

Commented on 02/06/2018

bunkers not playable,fairways need a lot of love layout and greens good.way over priced