Wailua Municipal Golf Course

Type Municipal
Scorecard for Wailua
Blue M: 73.3/129 520 456 245 451 399 407 178 403 535 3594 541 370 409 535 168 434 373 173 394 3397 6991
White M: 71.3/125 497 441 226 396 340 387 158 382 478 3305 521 356 390 521 168 434 346 173 371 3280 6585
Red W: 73.4/119 476 386 172 349 321 371 142 342 427 2986 502 316 374 456 148 416 336 112 328 2988 5974

Year Built 1961

Carts Yes - $20

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, Mastercard

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Hawaii (2017 #18)

Saved the Day

My brother in law and I were booked to play on another course and when got there were told they were canceling tee times there that morning. I did a google search and found out this course was close by. I called and told them what happened to us and they said come right over we’ll get you on. They fit us in right after we got there. The course was really a surprise. There were a lot of great views ( 17 was pretty amazing). The fairways were in good shape. The greens rolled true but were a little slow. The layout was was challenging but not overly hard. Pace of play was good considering how busy it was. Hard to believe this course is only $48. I have 2 mild complaints. The rental clubs were not the best and our cart ran out of gas on the 10 th fairway. They saved our day we went from thinking our chance to play golf paradise wasn’t going to happen to finding this gem of a course.

Wonderful relaxed old school golf

Played with my wife, we grew up on Oahu in the 1960's and miss the old "no problem Bruddah" Hawaiian lifestyle.

It is alive and well in Wailua. You don't expect much from a municipal golf course, Wailua raises the bar.

Course is relatively flat and open, greens very slow this week (seems to be the case everywhere we have played). Exceptionally well manicured across the board. Much nicer than most muni courses, and much nicer than some more expensive courses. On its own, a great value.

Negatives: A. Course is very poorly marked, easy to get lost between green and the next tee box on a few holes. B. Rental clubs - definitely need to invest in a new fleet. Like me, old and worn out.

Everything else is great with a particular shout out to Larry in the clubhouse. Made us feel welcome and valued, a real asset to this golf course. Would return just because of the friendly staff and amazingly friendly ground crew.

Perhaps the best for me was the lack of pretentiousness about the venue. Some guys playing in flip flops, one guy barefoot, tee shirts, very refreshing to see. Just out to play golf and have fun.

Highly recommended.

A decent course in a nice setting

This is a solid golf course but nothing special stands out, other than some great views. I liked it but these 5-star ratings seem way off to me. For a course located right on the ocean, there are very few holes where you see the water. The bunkering is well done with large bunkers protecting elevated greens and good green complexes. It has mostly straightforward fairways with a few on the back-9 that have some undulations and rolling terrain. The front is mostly flat. Walkable course. I met a bunch of fun locals playing and this is a casual "ready-golf" environment.

This course is the best value in Hawaii

Played here 3 times while in Kauai. Pace of play was pretty good considering that this course is busy all the time. Really enjoyed playing this course and there is some incredible views along some of the holes.

AMAZING

The wife and I played here on our honeymoon years back... You could pay 3 times as much at off-peak times and still won't get your monies worth as you can here.

Watch out for the roosters EVERYWHERE when hitting into some greens!

The beach is BEAUTIFUL right next to the course and the layout is fun and not that daunting!

The kicker here is the PEOPLE working there - they bought us a few coronas after the round and were asking us tons of questions... such a great friendly atmosphere! So laid back and genuine!

It's a MUST play when you can get there!

Any trip to Kauai must include Wailua

At $48 for outsiders, Wailua is a bargain, but you should play it for much more than that. This historic golf course is a find at almost any price. Sure it can get crowded, but the views and feel of Wailua are unlike anything else in Hawaii. Here, you get to mingle with the locals while playing a championship level and historic course. The views alone are worth more than the green fee, but this track has all kinds of challenges, including a good bit of elevation change on the back nine.

Excellent views

I played Wailua for the first time in September. Was joined up with a guy, same first name. This round was meant to be. For under $50 with cart (wife riding for FREE), this is an outstanding value!!! The twilight rate after 2 p.m. , when I played, is a fraction of the almost $200 to play onsite at Princeville, where we stayed for the week. Wailua is a player-friendly course, allowing spots on each hole to safely play to. The conditions are excellent. The views are amazing, with 3 holes along the ocean. The 17th, a downhill par 3 with the Pacific beckoning, is THE prettiest hole ever!!! My playing partner and I both hit our tee shots onto the green, scoring 3's!!!! This is a spot that you stand in awe, bring your camera (see attached photo), and count your blessings for this game!!! The staff is friendly and provided a great full set of rental clubs. I would highly recommend this course to anyone.

Super Course

Great golf course right along the ocean. Lots of interesting holes in a tropical setting with palm trees swaying in the fresh ocean breeze. Forward tees ( at almost 6000 yards) maybe a little longer than most women are used to. Fairways and greens were in great shape. Today, my wife and I had a wonderful time playing very affordable golf in paradise,

a pleasant surprise

This course was recommended by our driver. "Nothing fancy, just a nice municipal course worth it's money", we were told and that proved true. This course is in an old coconut plantation at the Pacific shore. You here the waves calling constantly. Kauai is in paradise and therefore so is this course. A lot of fun for a mere $48.

Lihue, Hawaii