Kaanapali Royal Golf Course

Year Built 1962
Architect Robert Trent Jones, Sr. (1962)

Dress code Proper golf attire must be worn at all times

Entertaining Clients 6

Being a novice golfer, everything there was great except the price of rental and balls. The views and course was well kept.

Highly disappointed with the greens

My poor review is solely based on green conditions and the fact that nobody told me the greens had just been punched. The greens were not playable which made the experience sub par. If you’re charging $150+ to play you have to let people know about the greens..

Pros: the fairways were in great shape and the views were pretty cool on several holes.

Windy Day

Played this course only once and it was exceptionally windy to what I’m use too. Great course layout with nice elevation changes. I’m an 8-10 handicap and it played true to that number. Got a great deal at Golfnow.

Commented on 08/14/2019

Mahalo for playing Ka'anapali and for the great review!

Commented on 05/17/2019

Mahalo for playing Ka'anapali and for providing us a great review!

Good times and worth the money

Not the most expensive course in the area, but it was in top notch condition, so the value is amazing! Can't escape the wind on Hawaii, so hopefully you know how to play the wind. Pace of play was great (4 hours), and we took our time as a twosome behind a foursome. Could have easily been faster if we cared. We didn't. Awesome course and I will be back. Owe a little revenge at 2 holes...

Commented on 05/17/2019

Mahalo for playing with us and for providing a great review! We hope to see you again soon. A hui hou (until we meet again)...

One of the best I’ve ever played!

I came here from California for 10 days and first golfed 18 on the bay course which set my standards for Maui! This course was absolutely beautiful, I played the Royal instead of Kai and everything was in tip top shape! Fairways clean and full, rough wasn’t to hard to get out of (nicely cut for beginner-moderate players) and the greens were better then the Bay course...firm, full difficult being the nicest course when my municipal courses in California have slower greens but OVERALL ABSOLUTELY WORTH EVEY PENNY!

Commented on 05/17/2019

Mahalo Sargent Mason for playing Ka'anapali! We appreciate that you played and enjoyed the experience! Hope to see you again soon!.

Aloha!

Commented on 03/29/2019

Mahalo for the great review, thank you for playing Ka'anapali!

Commented on 02/21/2019

Aloha and thank you so much for playing!

A Royal time

Great day for golf. Challenging course pin positions accessible depending on location of drive. Greens are hard to read but enjoyed the challenge.

Commented on 02/21/2019

Aloha! We are very happy you were able to enjoy a great day at Kaanapali! Greens in Hawaii definitely have a distinct break to them and are a fun challenge!! Mahalo

Elevate your game

Most green are elevated so club selection critical. Also chip shots and pitches can not come up short as they will not bounce forward and may roll back down the slope. Overall fun and challenging especially for first timers and a 72 year old senior like me!
Mahalo

Rude staff

One of the course pro’s was extremely rude, the only people that were nice were the cashier (go figure) and the cart girl. Everyone else acted as if we were lucky they allowed us to play there! They need to check out Kapalua and see how to run a course and how to treat customers who pay a great deal of money to play

Commented on 03/29/2019

Aloha Charlie, mahalo for your feedback. We would love to discuss your experience further with you if you are able to please send us an email at info@kaanapaligolfcourses.com, we would be happy to discuss. Mahalo!

Disappointing

If I had to choose one word to describe this experience, it would be disappointing. From a poor warm up area to greens that had been freshly sanded (they never let us know) to slow play to a layout that wasn’t anything creative, this is a course that is barely worth half of its exorbitant cost. Add that to our cart dying in the fairway of the 10th hole and it taking 5 phone calls (and two holes of walking) to get someone to come help. All in all, disappointing.

Commented on 03/29/2019

Aloha Taylor, mahalo for your feedback. We would love to discuss your experience further with you if you are able to please send us an email at info@kaanapaligolfcourses.com, we would be happy to have one of our managers discuss with you directly. Mahalo!

British Columbia Advisor

Nice surprise

As I continue my Maui golfing trip we had our eye on the Royal course for sometime now. It’s hosted many events and is the more challenging course between the 2 on the property.

We were surprised with how nice it played. Course was in good shape, pace of play was perfect and the views and surrounds are nice as is everywhere in Maui.

This was the lowest priced green fee we have seen so far and it’s shows in the overall feel compared to The Bay and Plantation courses.

I would recommend playing here forsure if you’re in the area and I wouldn’t hesitate playing here again myself.

The course itself isn’t that difficult as there is limited water and lots of areas to bail out. Putting always comes down to knowing if you are with or against the grain here, figure it out sooner than later:)

Enjoy!

Commented on 12/10/2018

Mahalo for playing Ka'anapali! We also appreciate you taking the time to do a review and provide some feedback. Hope to see you again soon. A hui hou (until we meet again)!

Fun challenging resort course

Attentive staff that acts excited to help, limited warm up number of balls but decent rental clubs. Layout as I remembered with more than 10 years since last round. Some long par 4’s some short par 5’s but layed out to move people around. Slows down if everyone hitting out of sand. Fun and would do again tomorrow.

Commented on 12/10/2018

Mahalo for playing and your great review! Happy to hear you enjoyed your experience with us. Hope you enjoyed your second round just as much!

Just ok

Round was fun. Course very scoreable, but for 180 I just expect a little more. Course was beat up after a long week of play over thanksgiving, I don’t fault them for that; it was just the little stuff, didn’t get greeted when we showed up, no direction, nobody asking if we’d played before, small range. All in all it was golf in Hawaii, but not a course I’ll try to play again while visiting.

Commented on 12/10/2018

Aloha Tyler! Mahalo for playing Ka'anapali and we for providing us some feedback. Hope to see you again soon so we can turn you into a WOW!

Nice views

Greens had been sanded. No notice until we saw the sign upon entering the pro shop to check in. And they called it “too dressing applied to course”. Not “greens were sanded”. Lame

Commented on 12/10/2018

Apologies Charley that you were not notified until check in about the top dressing that day. Hope you were able to still enjoy your round and we appreciate the feedback!

Pace of play sucked, no marshals to help out

How can you allow a five some to play Saturday afternoon when you have a full tee sheet. On one hole there were 4 groups waiting for the five some. We phoned and got no satisfaction. The excuses were that there was a tournament and a skins game. Took 4 hours and 45 minutes to play. Unacceptable. Do not play here.

Commented on 12/10/2018

Mahalo Rusty for playing Ka'anapali and providing your feedback to us.

Commented on 12/10/2018

Aloha Rusty! Mahalo for playing Ka'anapali and appreciate your feedback on pace of play.

Get out and play early

Spendy but its Maui. Driving range is minimal-mats and short... Course opens at 6am but has 6:30 tee times, not much time to get food(Roy’s “opens” at 6am as well-no food ready), drinks, warm up and putt. Nothing else is open at that hour in Ka’anapali either...Beautiful weather and almost no wind that early. Played in 4 hours with a foursome and none of us had played the course before. So that was great! I say you try it once, beautiful scenery and good conditions.

Commented on 12/10/2018

Mahalo for playing Ka'anapali and appreciate the feedback you offered. Hope to see you again soon!

Lahaina, Hawaii