Type Private
II 72 6192 yards
III 72 5777 yards
IV 72 5273 yards
Scorecard for Makena Golf & Beach Club
Outrigger M: 74.7/138 535 476 325 182 507 370 174 428 395 3392 547 384 217 360 632 212 414 385 495 3646 7038
I M: 72.7/134 515 431 302 164 475 320 164 411 371 3153 520 369 189 334 588 195 385 361 473 3414 6567
II M: 71.0/132 W: 76.7/132 491 407 286 163 450 304 128 390 353 2972 484 361 180 308 567 171 346 349 454 3220 6192
III M: 69.2/121 W: 74.4/127 467 397 275 140 439 246 115 370 342 2791 474 343 163 296 473 156 325 336 420 2986 5777
IV M: 66.2/115 W: 70.6/121 433 355 248 116 409 235 102 290 294 2482 431 307 128 248 443 138 299 324 347 2665 5147

Year Built 1993
Architect Robert Trent Jones, Jr. (1993) Donald Knott (1993) Gary Linn (1993) Dennis Wise (2016)

Walking Allowed No
Dress code Proper golf attire must be worn at all times

Good value for the money!

Excellent views of Maui and the Pacific on numerous holes. Resort style, not too tight, but tough to score with deceptive (and sometimes downright diabolical) greens. Pace of play was excellent - 3 hr. 15 min.

This course has great elevation changes and views of the Pacific are awesome!!

Course is quite challenging and fair but challenging as well

Beautiful views, while....

Not as well maintained as some of the resort courses, but better than some of the lower priced courses on Maui. The traps are in poor condition in that the "sand" is shallow and contains a LOT of gravel......not what I expected on a mid-to-high price range course on the the island. Staff is super friendly and helpful. Like many course supplied cart GPS systems there are too many annoying messages...."you are nearing a restricted area" ( I can read the signs), or "Please return to the cart path" when you are on the cart path for example. However, GPS did seem very accurate to the pin which is a plus. Course is more difficult than some in the area in that there is little chance to play (or even find) a ball hit off the fairway and there are few level lies. All in all, it is a fun course to play and the beauty around you helps you get past the minor deficiencies of the course. We are hopeful that the "South Course" will be reopened soon as it was always our favorite Makena course in the past.

Puuhale
Commented On 08/04/2013

I agree about the Makena South Course, my favorite Maui course. Makena South had some of the most gorgeous golf holes you'll find anywhere in the Islands. I hear that efforts are being made to reopen some of the course, namely Hole 10 and 15 thru 18. Corporate greed and failed real estate gambles have done great damage to a wonderful course.

Makena is beautiful

Course is set in the natural surroundings of Maui. Has a ton of excellent views and great holes for the eye. Course played tough but very fair with tons of optins on shots. I would play again and again.

Waiting for every shot

Thank goodness the views were stunning because the play was painfully slow. Played here 2 years ago and thought it was the best...This time had far better experience at Wailea old blue. When you pay 150.00 a round you expect more, especially from Marshalls (didn't see one) and refreshment cart (didn't see until the 8th).

Great and challenging holes amist terrific scenery. A must play.

This course was a lot of fun to play. Some very challenging and interesting holes. Would recommend anyone to play.

Good Course

This was a good, challenging course. A side bonus is great senic views of the ocean and nearby islands. The course was well maintained and the staff friendly and helpful.

Beautiful views of Ocean and landscape.

Beautiful course to play with great views so take a camera along. Difficult greens to read and if not use to this type of fairways it is difficult to play.

wow the view was amazing

Loved the hospitality and friendliness of the staff. The course was kept up pretty good, greens were being revamped so it was a bummer to put. Besides that the course was great w awesome views. Oh and the gps system was a big plus!

Great location, views; course showing a lot of wear. Twilight rate makes it worthwhile.

My wife and I played here on our honeymoon back in 1999 and we were looking forward to a great return experience last week. Perhaps it can be attributed to the magic of that time in '99, but our round last week was just OK. We found the course pretty chopped up, the greens a bit rough, and the 6pm clubhouse closing a bit brusque considering the sun was still up and the play slow (1:12 tee time, had to sprint thru the last four holes). The staff was very friendly and helpful (including lending me a driver & 3 wood after I discovered the clubheads snapped off upon opening my travel bag), and of course the location & views are the highlight of this place. It was fine for the discounted online twilight rate but I would not be pleased at full rate!

Good golfing if you can get a deal

We were able to get a day of tee time here on golf now.com-- what a great deal at 42% off! We got a great morning tee time and headed out...check in was great- staff was prompt and attentive. Pro shop nothing special but their large resort towel is beautiful and I bought three as gifts!
The course is gorgeous, of course ,with stunning views. My only complaint is the pace of play-- and no Marshall to keep it on task. The foursome in front of us never once played ready golf and we waited every time. I'm all for the aloha spirit, but 28 mins behind when there was no one in front of them is not good etiquette !

Beautiful

Course was great. good value, didn't get to finish due to rain. We also thought club rentals was $35 and it ended up being $55 each.

Great views. Challenging but fair. Not as crowded as other courses nearby.

Enjoyed the experience so much we booked another round. Definitely on our list of courses to play when on Maui.

Excellent Ocean Views, challenging course.

Excellent Ocean Views, challenging course. It is a real treat to play such a beautiful course.

Great Maui course.

This is a fun but somewhat challenging course. It has great views of the ocean. Ranks as one of the best courses for the money on Maui.

Course needs maintenance

I have golfed at Makena in the past years but this year the course conditions are not good....seems to be lacking attention and maintenance. I have golfed at other courses during the same week and seen other's ground crew trimming trees or manicuring lawn, but no one was in sight in Makena. Golfing at Makena used to be the top of my list on value for money but after this time it is longer deserves the top spot.

Very challenging, but fun course to play.

Great natural features and tremendous views on almost every hole. Course conditions were not perfect, but very good. Staff and facilities are both great. It was the only course that we played twice on our trip.

this is my favorite course on Maui. I have played the course several times the past 3 years .

Overall I love this course. Usually the staff are very friendly and accommodating. On my most recent visit the gentleman working in the Pro Shop was fairly rude to me and several other customers which is so different from other staff, I hope I don't have to deal with him on future visits

Ocean views on almost every hole!

Bring your own clubs. I rented and paid $ 57.00 for clubs that looked like they'd played at least 1000 rounds.

Beautiful scenery

Really a beautifully laid out course. Sand traps could use better quality sand. Cart GPS is very good and helpful. More flexibility in when course closes would be appreciated; i.e., if someone has two holes to play and has to return cart, leaves bad taste. Ranger needs to nudge slower players.

Wailea, Hawaii