Indian Lakes Golf Club

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

White/Blue (18-hole) 70 6046 yards 67.1 115
Red/Gold (18-hole) (W) 70 5360 yards 67.9 118

"Experience depends on what you're going for..."

sorenj's avatar
Idaho Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/24/2018
First time playing Walked Perfect weather

I'll be honest, I've avoided playing Indian Lakes as long as I've known it existed because of preconceived notions I had about it. This was a mistake on my part.

The layout of the track isn't going to keep you up at night trying to figure out how to score, it's very straightforward (and probably easier than it's 66.8/115 rating would indicate). However, given the plot of land it's on, they've done about as much as can be expected. What little elevation change is present seems to be used well to lengthen a few of the holes on the limited real estate available.

There are a few nice touches, including a couple of trees entering the left hand side of the fairway on the only par 5 (pictured) and a short par 4 that keeps you honest with perfectly placed fairway bunkers in the landing zone (also pictured). Unfortunately, the "signature" feature of the course, the lake, was dry when I played because of how early in the season it is.

The greens were fast and true and had a few surprises as far as pin positions to them that I enjoyed. While there are plenty of two putt pars available here, if the pin placement is right, there is nothing automatic about it.

Between the clever use of angles - based on the tree ensconced tee box (pictured) and the lake in front of the green - the otherwise relatively short par 4 fourth/thirteenth hole is arguably the most challenging and fun one on the course. And, while most of the course is relatively short, the first par 3, playing around 220, will make sure no one gets by hitting a wedge into every green.

Again, for the most part this course is flat and straight. The fairways are lined with trees but the majority of the landing areas are generous. There are probably only two driver holes, the par 5 (reachable with a good poke off the tee) and the par 4 right before it (not super-long, but with an uphill landing zone and wide fairway, it's a good option here). What surprised me was how great the condition of the course was. Very nicely trimmed rough, greens and tee boxes (punched this morning, but still in good shape) belie the muni-9 feel of this track.

Everyone I met that works at Indian Lakes was terrific (clubhouse staff and grounds crew). Seriously, almost too nice and engaging. The pace of play was great, especially on my second nine when the twosome in front of me pealed off and I was left with nothing but empty course ahead. I play very fast, often coming in well under three hours; yet, the guy playing behind me kept pace the whole way. There were also clearly an abundance of open tee times, for the most part holes were vacant as I looked around. This is a great place to grab a quick (as quick as you can play) nine or eighteen, if you want to get on, around and off.

The only thing I didn't like (and, unfortunately, I think this is a serious consideration based on the simplicity of the track) was the cost. There are just too many good courses in the area -complete with 18 holes, better layouts, and similar price points - to really come here for anything other than the relative assurance of getting on and off quickly (and, again, the terrific staff). I'd love to see them knock 5 or 10 bucks off their green fees. I'll probably be back, just because the lure of a quick round as the spring and summer crowds start showing up will be worth the money to me. However, I can see why some folks just won't come and play here.

ps I used to run marathons, and, at one point was trying to qualify for Boston. The Sacramento marathon is one that people who are trying to qualify (but haven't been able to do it) go to run because it is essentially all downhill and you can post a fast time. Why do I bring this up on a golf course review??? Because Indian Lakes is probably a golf equivalent to that Sacramento run. If you want to play at a place that is likely to lower your handicap (especially after playing a couple times and figuring out what angles there are)... this just might be the place. it's not pitch and put easy or anything, but I think relative to it's rating and slope, you could gain a stroke or two if you wanted to. I shot as bad as I possibly could today to still put up a 76.

"I love this golf course!!!!"

meghanshaw's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/27/2018

i always make sure to stop by when i drive through town!! love the tacos, the service, & the atmosphere!

Jkhawkes's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/10/2018

"Great staff, excellent greens ,awesome experience"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/01/2017

Great staff , excellent greens , awesome experience, I do recommend this course if you want to play 9 holes without waiting , layback , I enjoy every hole.

"put this course on your list"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/02/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

what a great course! the greens are playing so smooth & i can't say enough about the new staff, Courtny & Jake are so customer cool & do all they can to make you want to play there again. Thanks to Bashar (owner) for doing the best he can to bring great golf to Boise, Idaho.

"Garbage. Go to Falcon Crest instead."

cableamsden's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/15/2016

Garbage 9 hole course asking 18 hole prices. Ownership is clueless, maybe they thought they were investing in a Golden Tee video game machine!??

Course Layout: Poor

"Could be ok, but..........!"

Bob5517749's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/16/2015
Previously played Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

If you like cutoffs and old tshirts. Almost as many non playing toddlers as players. And paying as much for 9 as for nearby "real" courses, this is the place for you! The groundskeeper does a good job with what he's given. It's just to bad that the culture of golf is so ignored.

Commented on 04/18/2016

I've played here and the course was in great condition. People were very friendly. Met the owner and he was quite nice. Golf etiquette aside its good little 9 holes.