Blackberry Oaks Golf Club

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Blackberry Oaks in Bristol is a public golf course that has been recognized as one of the Chicagoland area's best courses. The course design utilizes the natural beauty and hazards of the landscape including the native wetlands, grassy prairies, and towering stands of mature oaks. Blackberry Creek also meanders through the course. In addition to the natural hazards, a heavy smattering of strategically placed bunkers was also incorporated into the design. Although it can seem intimidating, the golf course isn't overly formidable if you can manage to stay out of the sand and water. The third and 12th holes are two par 4s that are memorable for their water hazards. The third has a lake along either side and the 12th has a green that is almost entirely surrounded by water.

Location is in the 'burbs worth the drive   Great for locals advanced golfers walkers   Challenges include water hazards bunkers thick rough   Great for drinks watching the game patio dining

"Incredibly Average at Best"

HOTSPOTTS's avatar
Illinois Advisor

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/12/2018
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

Refer to my review of 9/24/13. I'll only reluctantly recommend this place. While a formidable 130 slope from the whites there's far too much water and sand for high handicappers. Pace of play when crowded is always a problem.

Blackberry does have an interesting routing - unfortunately must point out several items -

1) greens right now are hard as a rock and will not hold very well. Well struck irons leave easily observable ball marks - even early this season NO ONE seems to repair them to the point where you're forced to fix at least two or three on every green. The old ball marks from last season aren't healing very well either. Greens are "okay" at this time but can forsee issues with them in a few months. They should institute a program requiring all golfers to repair at least one ball mark when they reach the putting surface. It's that bad.

2) Sand Traps - a tad bit too numerous and many holes require a forced carry over them to reach the proper part of the green. NO ONE seems to be raking them at the current time either. Maintained with many having a nice depth of sand.....but footprints all over the pace. Ridiculous. Problem with the depth of the sand they are impossible to rake properly without a ton of effort. Thus after being in several the first few holes....many just don't bother much after that. Perhaps an upgrade to a heavier aluminum rake is needed from the standard light plastic ones provided.

3) Course Design - All 4 of the Par 3's on the day I played required the same club due to wind conditions and flag placement. If you prox the 4th green you should seriously consider using that club on rest of the Par 3's. The Par 5's all seem to have a forced carry trap fronting the green. The "sameness" of these holes is definitely a downgrade.

4) Back nine routing - just awful. Playing almost in an amphitheatre loud golfers will absolutely disturb you on several adjoining holes. It's off putting to hear golf shots from other holes...and from several directions. Leaving the 12th to reach the 13th tee you become "completely in the line of fire/in play" from the 17th tee.....using the same bridge as they will about 125 yards away (no warning sign). Exiting 15 it's compulsory to disturb players putting on the 17th green as you motor between them and the back side of the 18th tee box just to reach the 16th tee box (no warning sign). No one cares they just drive by laughing and bouncing along. The holes are challenging/interesting but lack proper separation/privacy to them even with leaves on the trees.

5) The finishing hole Par 4 with a 135 yard plus forced carry over Blackberry Creek is a high handicappers torment guaranteeing a turtle crawl finish of their nightmare. The scorecard actually suggests play as 3 shotter to the green. If you do decide to lay up be aware that fronting group exiting the final green will drive right back through your line of sight to reach the clubhouse. And are in play if you hit your layup long.

With a light tee sheet I can recommend Blackberry wholeheartedly.....it's a really good challenge to stay out of the water/sand and route your ball properly.....and greens have a lot of slope in them. Watch your step in the bar area...it's slippery with golf shoes on.

Crowded/high season - if you are proficient experienced player you've been warned. Remember I always tell it "like it is" - unvarnished reviews.

"Winter conditions"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/02/2018

Bunkers were the worst I've seen....could be it's early March but on 3 occasions I hit 3 shots where the sand was so thin the underlining ripped up under the wedge and got caught and almost tore my wrist up trying to swing. Like I said it's a nice course but the conditions of the bunkers were bad....Might try again in a few months and the restaurant was closed on mondays....oh well

"Winter Golf"

Birdies72's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/02/2017

Saturday morning , Dec. 2. $38 to play the n December! My choice to play, but, course had tarp on EVERY bunker. Terrible! I know it’s December, but don’t charge $38 in December and have your bunkers surrounded with tarp! $ 18 for that, ok. But $38, course better be perfect in December for that price! Terrible greed for customers to charge that!

"Course is winterized"

AlHuizenga's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/28/2017

Even though the price was attractive, it was very disappointing to find every green side bunker to be protected be black environmental barriers.

There needs to be a way that this kind of course conditions can be identified at the time of tee time purchase through GolfNow.

Commented on 12/03/2017

I agree. You just played there Dec. 2 and “slammed” them on n a post. Terrible to be that greedy in December and have course have tarp all over it. It cost me some strokes!

"Blackberry - Fall Play"

webb3277's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/27/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Blackberry is a well maintained and challenging course. Weather was great to be playing after Thanksgiving.

Commented on 12/13/2017

Appreciate your comments and support! Hope to see you back here in 2018! We always love those rounds after Thanksgiving :) Check out our web-site www.blackberryoaks.com for all of our upcoming events and discounts! Happy Holiday's!

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/26/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

"Very nice course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/23/2017
First time playing Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

It was wet...rained the 2 previous days. Course is not long with many reasonably straight holes. Some interesting shots required. Tee boxes are very good, fairways well defined, rough was rough this day, errant shots don't automatically put you in jail. Greens are average size and quick with nuances, bunkered well but don't required a carry to reach most of them. I liked it and will happily play again. Played white because of wetness but blues next time. The free course booklet helped a lot.

Commented on 12/13/2017

Thanks for the wonderful feedback on the course! Hope to see you again in 2018. Check out our web-site at www.blackberryoaks.com for all of our specials and events. Happy Holiday's!

Dan6150608's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/24/2017

Commented on 12/13/2017

Thanks for the 4 ****'s. Hope to see you again in 2018! Happy Holiday's! Visit our web-site for all of our great discounts and deals going on at www.blackberryoaks.com

"Really slow"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/24/2017

My second time playing here. It took over 5 hours. Waiting on every shot. No ranger on the course. It was a long day in 95 degree weather. I don't think I will play here again on the weekend.

Commented on 10/12/2017

Sorry to hear it was slow for you! We take great pride on our pace of play. The later in the afternoon that you play unfortunately the course tends to slow down. Check out our contest online and WIN A FREE 2018 GOLF MEMBERSHIP!

"Great tricky course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/23/2017

I recommend getting the free course book, its helpful. No cart girl, which was disappointing playing on a 95 degree day - teed off at 1pm. Wide open on this day and we played in 3:20.

Commented on 12/13/2017

Sorry about the no cart-girl that day! We normally have her out and about. We take great pride in our pace of play and typically it's under 4 hours. Hope to see you back out here in 2018! Check out our specials at www.blackberryoaks.com!

markacohan's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/20/2017

Great course for the money. Very well maintained.

Commented on 12/13/2017

Appreciate the +++++ feedback. We take great pride in the golf courses conditions. Hope to see you again in 2018! Check out our specials and discounts at www.blackberryoaks.com! Happy Holiday's

Kevin9637840's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/19/2017

"Nice greens"

lem1470's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/19/2017

Greens were very good. Cruised along until a couple of slow foursomes held things up. Otherwise a very good day.

Commented on 10/12/2017

Thanks for the kind words. Hope to see you again soon this season! We are now in FALL RATES! Check out our web-site for our lowest rates always and enjoy your weekend!

Check out our new contest and have a chance to win a 2018 FREE GOLF MEMBERSHIP!

"Always Fun"

Jonathan8413271's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/17/2017

Course layout is fun with lot of trouble if you don't hit the ball straight. Short bu tricky. Fairways are in super shape greens good but could be faster. Play here often and enjoy the course. Staff are always friendly. Definitely worth playing

Commented on 10/12/2017

Appreciate the kind words. Take advantage of our FALL RATES! Hope to see you again out at Blackberry Oaks soon!

Check out our new contest going on as well:

"Worse round ever"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/16/2017

Simply ask how many outings they have that day. For us, three... was like being around three bachelor parties. The round was just over 5 and half hours. Never again on the weekend at Blackberry Oaks.

Commented on 12/13/2017

Sorry to hear about that! We typically don't have rounds logged over 5 hours? So we apologize for being busy. Please check out our specials on www.blackberryoaks.com and hope to see you again in 2018! Happy Holiday's!

"Well kept course"

wkgator's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/08/2017

Course was in great condition. Very nice layout. For some reason sprinkler was on flooding the 15th green, making the hole unplayable.

Commented on 09/20/2017

Thanks for the feedback! We appreciate the support. We apologize about the "sprinkler issue" on #15 - I'll make sure to talk with the maintenance staff on this one. Please check out our web-site www.blackberryoaks.com for our lowest rates always! We hope to see you out here again soon.

discoravey's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/30/2017

Commented on 09/20/2017

Thanks for the rating! Please get back out here soon and play! We appreciate your support. www.blackberryoaks.com - that'll be our best/lowest rates always! Check them out.

Shep9350669's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/09/2017

"Blackberry on the 3rd"

claremcd's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/03/2017
First time playing Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

Nice layout, lots of water, but most of it is avoidable. Par threes are difficult to reach for women, but not impossible.

Commented on 09/20/2017

Thanks for the comments! We've actually been working on some different spots possibly for the women's tees on the par 3's for the future. Nothing certain yet. But we do appreciate your support and letting us know! Check out our web-site at www.blackberryoaks.com for our lowest rates always!

"Great course, great staff, highly recommend!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/30/2017

There are several courses to choose from in the are, Blackberry in my opinion is he very best option. The layout of the course is great, they keep up the fairways and greens very well.

In addition to the course the entire staff is very good to deal with!!

Thanks Blackberry Oaks!!

Commented on 09/20/2017

THANKS! We appreciate the kind words. We will hopefully see you again out here soon. Check out www.blackberryoaks.com for all of our lowest rates and/or specials going on!