Situated on the Cuneo Estate in Vernon Hills, White Deer Run Golf Club has a beautiful landscape dotted with sparkling lakes. The rolling terrain provides plenty of elevation changes, meaning there are some uneven lies and the occasional blind shot in store for you. There are not many trees but numerous bunkers lurk beside the greens and, of course, water is a pretty prominent presence throughout the golf course. Due to the plentiful and strategically placed hazards, the course puts a premium on accuracy. The layout is challenging but fair and it is also player friendly enough for beginners, offering ample room off of the tees. White Deer Run Golf Club's design contributes greatly to the course's playability, but that is also partly due to the immaculately manicured fairways and fast, well conditioned greens.

White Deer Run Golf Club

Year Built 1998
Golf Season May - October 1st

Entertaining Clients 9

Great course, everything else is a joke

Have played this course prolly 50 times in my day. Have not played in the last few years, so went back over the Labor Day weekend with a few buddies.

I have to say the course is always in great shape. The superintendent does an awesome job and he deserves a raise.

Management team needs a complete overhaul however. I have seen other reviews mention the same thing. Quick recap of our experience at the course.

- Bar was not open at 9am on Labor Day weekend. If you wanted a beverage, you had to track down a staff member to go behind the bar, then you would have to pay in the pro shop for your drinks. Guys making the turn wanted some cocktails and it took forever, then the rangers complain about pace of play.

- We saw the beverage cart 1 time in our 4.5 hrs on the course. We are big drinkers and wanted to give the course our money and we couldn't. Also all water jugs on par three's out of drinking cups.

- We finish the round and always nice to settle up and get our clubs wiped down. The bag guy rushed us out to parking lot, saying we can take the cart. He looked way behind on flipping carts and no interest in making tip money.

- Walking into the clubhouse, the GM and two assistants are practicing their swings with clubs from the pro-shop.

Understaffed in beverage and outside services, while 3 managers are in the clubhouse messing around when it was quite obvious outside needed help.. It rubbed me the wrong way being in the service industry. A lot of people play golf just to golf, but a higher percentage play golf for the experience. F&B and outside services are part of that experience and that's why this course hasn't raised prices in 20 years. They know they cannot because people will stop coming. I have never known a single golf course that has not raised rates in 20 years. Make the effort and turn this course into a course people want to play again and again. The golf course is worth it.

I will not be back until that happens.

Commented on 09/23/2019

Hello, jjcielak. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We're very sorry to hear you may have had a poor customer experience with us recently, and we appreciate your feedback so we may work on improvements for your future experience with us. We hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

Outstanding course

Outstanding course! The layout is phenomenal and the course was in excellent condition. Very fast greens which made putting have a true role.

Chicago Advisor

White Deer Run - Very Well-Conditioned Public North Shore Track

The Good: Nearly impeccably conditioned upscale facility in Vernon Hills is one of the better public courses on the North Shore (and my new home course!). Fairly wide open layout with no trees, but sand bunkers at every corner and a significant amount of water. Some very nice holes, particularly the par 3's and some good short Par 4's. Nice greens that are subtly slick and very difficult. Nice clubhouse with full bar and restaurant. On-course amenities include elaborate GPS on carts and restroom facilities. Good practice facility and well known golf education center.

The Bad: Houses (including my own) loom on many holes and causes the course to feel a little claustrophobic. Service is only above-par at best is a little underwhelming considering the hefty price tag. Overpriced at $90 during high season. Many holes seem to run together and are not overly memorable. the Par 3's are nice but limited variety in yardage.

The Verdict: While I'm not a huge fan of residential courses, White Deer Run gets my recommendation because of its excellent conditioning and overall experience.. One of the better options in the north suburbs, but Thunderhawk and Shepherd's Crook are better values.

Best Hole: The tricky Par 4 9th is a devious hole that requires a precise drive around large trees to a green enveloped by a large pond.

Great Course and Conditions

Have played out here several times and have never been disappointed. The greens are always fast and true and the course in general is well kept. Houses on every hole but each hole but fairways are wide and generous and greens are average sized. Great place to play when you want a quality round of golf for a good price.

Average course, arrogant staff.

Surrounded by houses on every hole, this course is not scenic. Course condition is on par with green fees.
The arrogant staff makes it an overall poor experience. They should not offer discounted tee times if they are going to pout and lecture people who use them. There are better course in the area.

Course in Great Shape

I am 15 handicap and play at least 1x per week. I highly recommend this course. But, bring your A game! This is a very nice course in great shape and very challenging. Big beautiful sand traps throughout, but soft sand to hit out of... Greens are very fast, but true. The only negative was that they aerated a band outside the fringe recently....but, it is Fall. Nice grass driving range and chip/putting area. Worth the above average GolfNow price...

White Deer Run

Course was in good shape for mid-October. Greens were fast but fair. My only complaint is the bunkers were not great. Felt like more dirt than sand and there were a lot of small rocks in them. I would expect better conditions on a course of this quality. Overall I had a great time.

Beautiful course!

White Deer Runs is beautiful! Challenging layout, but very fair. First time I ever played there and definitely will be back!! I was a little concerned with the houses located throughout the course, but they're set back so there are no issues...VERY NICE!

Lovely course

The course is very challenging with sand traps guarding almost every hole.. The green are very fast but very fair. There is much variety from hole to hole which makes the course fun to play.

Excellent course and value!

Course was magnificent all throughout and GPS on carts are very accurate.

Wonderful time!!

Course is always in great condition, pace of play in continuous and staff are always helpful.

Beautiful course and good challenging hole

Great course. Fun to play but still has its challenges. Recommend you try it you won't be disappointed.

unfriendly staff

From the head pro/Gm.-Bob Malpede to the check in counter and to the starter--ALL NEED CUSTOMER SERVICE TRAINING! Nobody to take bags from car--give a cart --no welcome to our club. Actually stood at check in , by myself for at least 30 seconds while the guy behind the counter looked at a clipboard, put it away and finally said "yes"! The course is not so special, charging more $$ than other courses; however with a lousy staff, I probably will not return. The GM, who I was told has been there a long time needs an attitude adjustment; it is obvious why his staff are the way they are!

rushed me. and gave me no warmup opportunity

I arrived 30 minutes early only to have me rushed thru the back nine and told i needed to start immediately or i would be stuck on the course

Not a good 1st experience. Gave me 0 warmup time even though i arrived 30 minutes early.

great layout, great price.

The only bad part were the sand traps. There are many of them and they need help. Some of the greens were
a little hacked up because people don't want to fix their ball marks? Other than those two minor flaws
this is a great course. For the last minute golfer rate it's
worth the long drive to Vernon Hills.
Will play again soon!!!

First Visit to White Deer Run

This is an excellent and challenging track, that is well bunkered. It helped to play with people that were familiar with the course so that I could get pointers on where to hit my tee shots and when to use something other than driver. (The starter staff hooked me up with a great threesome that knew the course well.) The layout is good. The rough it a bit tough. The greens are in great condition and a bit fast compared to most public courses I have played of late. The price for a senior player (over 52) makes it a great deal! I'm headed back there again.

Slow play today

It was difficult to play a five hour round in the high heat. This isn't always the norm. The cart girl was a lifesaver. She was there every few holes with fresh drinks and ice. The course was in impeccable shape except for the sand traps which held water from rain the night before. If you don't mind paying the high price of $80 for a Park District course, it's worth it. I would hold out for the one Golf Now Hot Deal per day offered at $50.

Challenging layout

Pace of play on the back nine was very slow, almost 2 hours 45 minutes - never saw a ranger

Also, some of the bunkers are a little"thin" on sand.

Cant see myself paying 75 dollars for a round of golf but the 40 dollar hot deal sold me. Great course, friendly staff, they even wipe down your clubs after 9 and 18. Big fan of the in cart gps and course coverage tablet. Definitely needed the flyover to avoid all the fairway sand.

Vernon Hills, Illinois